Hot or Cold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot or Cold?

Just finished washing my dishes. I'm not married nor do I have kids (that I know about) or a dishwasher so I got do 'em myself and I've ruled out paper plates and plastic forks.

So I typically wash them with hot water running. Does it really matter if the water temp is hot or cold? What temp is bacteria killed? Or does the soap kill the bacteria?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Hot or Cold?

Soap kills the bacteria, but if you use cold water, it does not wash off the soap as well. Plus it also depends on if you've got soft or hard water. I've got soft, and that stuff is a nightmare, feels like you can never get shampoo out of your hair. Just stick with hot water.

Comment

Yeah, the hot water you're using isn't hot enough to kill all the bacteria, but it certainly helps to melt fat off of your dishes. It also helps to dissolve soaps and detergents.

When I washed dishes by hand, I soaped and scrubbed 'em in one sink filled with hot soapy water, and then rinsed 'em in the other sink with hot running water.

FYI, paper plates and plastic utensils are supposedly more "green" to use, and could be monetarily cheaper, too, depending on your water rates and whether you're willing to use the cheap plates and utensils. (I wouldn't be willing to use the cheap ones every day...)

Oh, and soap doesn't kill all the bacteria, either. It hopefully removes enough bacteria and enough of the bacteria's food source, though! In restaurants, you'll always see the three sink method used, which is wash, rinse, and then sanitize (a teaspoon or so of bleach per gallon of hot water would work fine).
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

However, if you're washing something floury (if you've been making waffles, say) cold is better as the hot water "activates" the flour and makes it sticky.
        2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
        BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Comment

Hot water dissolves everything better, but I use a dishwasher, so I am lucky :)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Murphy View Post
            Hot water dissolves everything better, but I use a dishwasher, so I am lucky :)
            Dude, you could at least address your wife by name!

haha, I jest.

:D
            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Also, use cold water to remove cheese, its much better than hot since the hot water melts the cheese back into whatever you're attempting to remove it from.

Comment

Ese hot water and buy one of these things:
                http://www.smarter.com/oxo_soap_squi...i-6228216.html

Not necessarily that one but you can find similar products at Wal-Mart. They are great for quick cleaning.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

I use cold water to rinse my dishes. With gas being as expensive as it is, I try to save some by rinsing with cold water instead. It might take more water to rinse off the soap, but I save some money in the long run.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Cold water is BETTER for taking off soap, but hot water is better for cleaning. Rule of thumb, hot for cleaning, cold for rinsing.

Comment

I got 2 dishwashers for now and a third real soon, their ages are 11, 9 and the soon to start washing is 5, lol. Of course I use hot water when I do dishes, I use the hottest my hands can stand which I had heard that was bad for your skin. Why I have no clue... something about it can actually kill or deaden the nerves what I think I was told. Supposed to use a luke warm water to wash anything in, even your body. Like I am going to listen to reason? Reason I use hot it seems like the grease comes off a lot easier than with cold. Key word is "seems" though, think in reality it all depends on soap detergent being used(Dawn all the way) and the food(the greaser the better) and type of material the dishes are made from(Corningware, harder to break), lol.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X