Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iím still in awe!! Have you ever used Dial Up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iím still in awe!! Have you ever used Dial Up?

Up until just a few short months ago, my presence on these boards would not have been possible , supporting the TG servers would have been an exercise in futility and playing games like PRM online was just a dream I had.

We live on an acreage in a rural farming community about 20 miles outside the city. Telus (the ISP I had at the time) kept up with the empty promises of ADSL for all the years I hounded them but nothing ever came of it. I was stuck with 28.8 kbps DU.

Checking email and browsing was an onerous chore but the guys at CoFR were very understanding and I played DoD on line with them with pings in the 400-700 range. Was still able to hold my own quit often by being a sneaky player though. I got chided a lot because of my connection but it was all in good fun.

A few months ago a local wireless ISP put up a tower across the river valley from us and I found out I could get their signal!! Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity to sign up and have it installed!!

Itís not the greatest connection (supposed to be 2Mbps full duplex but best DL speed Iíve yet to attain is 280 Kbps) , expensive ($60/mo vs $30 /mo for ADSL in the city) and the signal strength isnít reliable. Large DLís such as PRM need a DL manager that can retry the connection as it drops every once in a while and sometimes while playing PRM I get kicked because my ping exceeds the maximum or lose the connection.

But damn, it beats the hell outta 3Kbps DLís.

It took me slightly over 5 hours to DL PRM. A quick calculation showed I was looking at six Ė seven 24 hour days on my old DU!!

Watching YouTube videos was impossible. The very few I wanted to watch would take about an hour or more to load and 6 minutes to play!

Updating my Adaware and Spybot were Ĺ to ĺ hour chores EACH instead of the few seconds it now takes.

So , if youíve never had to suffer the indignities of dial up , bless your lucky souls because in this day and age , with web sites being loaded with graphics etc. it literally SUXS!!

Oh and BTW , yes I know thereís satellite but itís even more expensive , has download caps on it and for gaming wellÖthe pings were even higher (almost double) than my 28.8 kbps dial up.

Iím still in awe and loving it!!
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Iím still in awe!! Have you ever used Dial Up?

Congratulations and welcome to the modern world! I had dial-up until 2001. Wasn't too bad because it was 56k and the web wasn't nearly what it is today. I didn't realize anyone was still on dial-up anymore. My heart goes out to you for suffering for so long, while the rest of us enjoyed our 5 ms pings. I hear that in Japan and Korea, they have speeds that make ours look slow. So even us in the big city still have a ways to go. Wow, are we spoiled or what? Hehe.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Hell, I remember the days of my 300 baud modem -- when I upgraded to 1200 baud I was impressed!

But yeah, that jump from dialup to broadband is amazing. Congratulations. :)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I'm getting nostalgic thinking about the sound my old 2400 made... then I upgraded to 14.4k, which was dominance. :)
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Remember seeing the '56k ONLY!' Games when going on servers?

Comment

There's very little I can add to that as some of you know all too well.

28.8 FTW!!!!
            I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

All of the cool (old) kids can remember when they could read the text as it came in. I remember BBS's with multiple 14.4k USR modems when they were around $1000 each. My 1200 bps modem was in a bargain bin for $100. Files over 100k were intimidating, especially since you couldn't do anything else with your computer while they downloaded.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I can remember trying to use two cans a string. lol

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

We had at least a dozen local BBSes within our local calling zone (and I'm not talking area code -- remember the days of LATA lines?). Privacy wasn't such an issue... register with your real name and phone number and the Sysop had no problem calling you directly for troubleshooting. When I went to college I got my first email address on the VAX system... but no one else had email so there wasn't much point.

Yeah, I remember dialup. :D

Comment

Um....What's dial-up again?? =ř

Comment

Oh yes, I had it until 2003, same as all my friends. Diablo and Diablo 2 handled it well :p
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                        Hell, I remember the days of my 300 baud modem -- when I upgraded to 1200 baud I was impressed!

But yeah, that jump from dialup to broadband is amazing. Congratulations. :)
                        Speed baby SPEED!

DB

ęThat looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.Ľ Donrhos

| |

Comment

I used to run a BBS with a 2400 U.S. robotics.. which was after I upgraded from the 300kb/s.. and that was high-tech at the time.

On an Atari 800XL beefed up and hardwired with a 256KB RAM disk and 4 daisy-chained 5.25" drives.
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember my first 1200-bps modem and using it to download warez onto 5.25" and 3.5" disks (double sided via my handy dandy hole-puncher) from our local bbs.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

I have put the memories of dialup in a locked box and thrown it into the ocean. Cable internet or bust (until optic fiber arrives).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X