Friend arrested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend arrested

A friend of mine, with whom I work [he has been on leave for over a year], just got arrested, and I thought given the nature of many discussions around here that you guys might find it interesting.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Breaki...3/4442148.html

He IS a collector, and he has had many or all of those items for a long time. I didn't know he had anything illegal, but then I really don't know what is and what is not legal when it comes to firearms.

I hope he's not in too much trouble. He's a really nice guy who means no harm to anyone.

Please no country bashing or gun control discussions here.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Re: Friend arrested

1. This probally should be in the sandbox forum, but I'm no forum cop. lol

2. Sorry to hear about your friend.

3. What lead to the cops "investigating"? a complaint, a threat, did he show the weapons?

4. Where he get those guns? I can't even get them without a long license process.

5. Does he have a gun collector license? Sure it may be a mistake on his part, but most people know you can't have machine guns without a collector license.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Could they provide a bit more description of guilty behavior?

Looking dishevelled and sporting a nervous but friendly smile, a man facing a series of weapons related charges after police seized 30 firearms from his west-end home appeared briefly in court today.

Siva Yogi Shanmugadhasan said his name in a low and meek voice when asked who he was by the Justice of the Peace, and glanced about the courtroom. Dressed in a pink and grey striped t-shirt and blue jeans, the accused had his case adjourned to Thursday, Aug. 30 for a video remand court appearance.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Oh my... this story provides far more detail than I ever knew... gotta credit these reporters for doing their homework well:
        http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...2b274c&k=40016

I knew he had some problems in the past and some more recently, but I didn't know it was that bad.

And no, this doesn't belong in The Sandbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
          4. Where he get those guns? I can't even get them without a long license process.

5. Does he have a gun collector license? Sure it may be a mistake on his part, but most people know you can't have machine guns without a collector license.
          Ya, I really don't know the answers. All I know is that he is a very curious character, and he is one who likes to keep his affairs private. I haven't talked to him since he left work. I hate to see him get himself into all this trouble, but I know that he brought it on himself. I was actually surprised to read that he had properly registered many of them, but I guess it wasn't possible to legally register some of them and he made the wrong choice by keeping them.

I'll stick to collecting computer stuff. It's safer. ;)

Comment

kinda funny to me.........most of these weapons are legal in the U.S. because none of them are Fully Automatic. Canada still has its Fire arms act in use. ours expired =D

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
              I'm not familiar with Canadian or Florida laws, but here in Texas, I could go buy any of those guns and take 'em home ten minutes later. There's certainly no federal law against owning any of them, or that requires licensing them...

In the USA, operable machine guns would require a background check and a $200 tax before purchase. I've never heard of a collector license. I know that there are different laws that govern ownership of firearms that are considered to be "curios", but I'm not sure what those laws are, nor whether an operable machine gun can ever be considered a "curio".

Not to bash anyone, but I'm really glad I live where I do. I understand there are differences in culture, but I'm so glad that I won't be arrested if I win the lottery and am able to buy all of the guns that I would like to own!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I agree, Amen to that. Sorry to hear about your friend, if none of them were fully auto, I don't see the point of arresting him. It says that the working guns had trigger locks also. I don't know, sounds like he upset someone.

Comment

There was a time in Canada when guns such as AK's ,M-16 and hand guns were simply "restricted" and could be obtained legally with a Fire Arms Acquisition certificate (know fondly as an FAC) and a police back ground check. The only registration was an entry made in a journal at the sporting goods store.

Then some idiots in Ontario decided ALL fire arms should be registered and classifications were revamped so that all of a sudden , your $1,300 M-16 became "Prohibited" and you were supposed to turn them in so they could be destroyed. Now you can't even buy ammunition unless you have a license!

My old .303 that I use as a boom stick to scare away the odd bear that wonders into our yard hasn't been fired in years..yet they expect me to pay a registration fee and renewal fee for this???

So , $4B later , the only unregistered weapons you can own now are illegal one so these are being imported and flooding the streets and being used to commit crimes with. No funds were allocated to try and cut down the importation of fire arms.

One kid on Ontario out together a fully functioning fully automatic AK47 by having his friend in the US mail it to him piece by piece. That's how easy it is.(his dad confiscated the gun and turned it in BTW). Anyone wanna deal on a SAM?? :D

Purely conjecture but , my guess is that he knew he wouldn't be allowed to keep the guns or buy ammo for them without a license (which is why he probably had 14 registered firearms) so he stock piled ammo so he could sneak them out of the house and fire them once in a while.
                  [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

I think the biggest problem is that the guy had major mental health problems AND had large amounts of ammunition in addition to the firearms.

Even in the U.S. certain mental health issues restricts gun ownership.

Also in the U.S. legal purchasing of firearms in one place does not guarantee legal ownership of those same guns in another place. My father lost about $5,000 worth of firearms in Chicago back in the 70's. He bought them primarily in Oklahoma where practically no restrictions existed. In Chicago you had to register all firearms, regardless of where you bought them, under certain circumstances. And, according to my father, of the dozens of firearms only about 3 where unregistered.

But my father was a "survivalist" so who knows.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      In the USA, operable machine guns would require a background check and a $200 tax before purchase.
                      Ahhh, the joys of Form 4 and living in the South.
                      sigpic

Comment

- including fully operational AK-47 and AR-15 assault rifles, as well as a variety of inoperable machine guns, a grenade launcher and handguns - didn't resemble a typical gun collection.
                        I'm not sure about the AK-47, but the AR-15 is a commerical equivalent of the M-16 and is only semi-automatic. I'm pretty sure they make a semi-auto AK-47. These rifles are no more deadly than a .270 semi-auto hunting rifle. But hey, Hollywood made sure to remind us only crazies would dare own an "assault rifle."

"They are certainly not collector weapons," said Ottawa police Sgt. Uday Jaswal.
                        "They are not weapons for a hobbyist."
                        Piss off. I consider even my newer firearms (CX4 and PX4) as part of my "collection." Who is this guy to determine what is acceptable for collector's purposes?

"It was just boxes and boxes, wooden crates full of them," said Sgt. Anthony Costantini, adding he "couldn't fathom why anyone would want to have that many guns."
                        I own 13 and I'm only 25. Who knows how many I'll own by the time I'm 40. More scare tactics.

Now, after reading about his mental problems and past convictions he's had in the past, I can agree with some of the charges, but the scare-mongering when it comes to firearms is just pathetic.

Sgt. Costantini said none of the firearms was loaded, although there were loaded clips located within the house.
                        It's called a "magazine" you R-tard.

Comment

uhh, what country is he from?
                          with 30,000 rounds!! what was he, ex-special forces?!!

Comment

Wow he could be in a lot of trouble, I wonder how the police found out? One of his friends told them?

I feel sorry for him, if he's a collector he should explain to the judge in court.

Comment

My opinion on that is BS. Any gun that apparently is disabled so they can't be fired can be re-enabled if you know the right people to talk to or read the right books or just plain and simple know how. I guess I need to inform my cousin he needs to get rid of the M16 with the M203 that WORKS along with his other weapons he has collected.
                              Having numerous guns does not mean this person is a danger to society. It means to me he is interested in the guns. Also, the stories ever stated whether the ammo was for any of the so called disabled guns. I know some of them might have the same caliber bullet as some of the registered guns he had but still he might of been paranoid World War III was about to happen and wanted to be prepared, lol.
                              I see nothing wrong with him having the guns just the ammo...OR I should say having 30,000 rounds of it anyway. A few boxes for each working registered gun I can understand but not 30,000 rounds.
                              I will also agree the AR-15 is a semi automatic version of the M16, which with the proper know how or people you could modify it into an M16, still it is a legal gun same as a semi auto AK. If they aren't full auto they should not even be a question of him owning them.
                              Another thing, a gun for any type of protection and not to have a mag loaded and ready for insertion is foolish, but if these guns were for hunting or just shooting fun only then the mags should not have even been loaded.
                              The old .303 use to sell in the sporting goods stores around here a lot(sporterized versions of course), I have no idea why they don't anymore. I loved the one my dad had, used to love going out shooting it and cut pine trees down with it, lol. TIMBERRRR
                              I think the guy stepped on his girlfriends feelings and she turned him in and that is why this all happened, Also mental condition does play a factor in this. If he had no previous mental problems then I would say leave him alone and give him his guns back, maybe not ALL the ammo though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X