Mit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mit

I've still got a year or so left at school before college, but my teacher recommended i have a look at MIT as im hoping to do a computing science degree, and that i have decent potential to possibly apply and be successful.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Mit

Suggestion?
    If you can get into MIT and can afford it, GO TO MIT.

I'm a bit worried you had to ask in the first place.

Comment

worried? what you mean?

Comment

Well, from the sort of vague question you asked, it might have been a misinterpretation, but what he meant is that MIT (assuming you're talking about the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and not some other similarly lettered school) is considered to be the end-all be-all of technology schools and hes a bit worried that you had to ask whether or not to apply there (since anyone considering going there wouldnt have to ask, they'd just apply).

Bottom line is this: MIT is UBER-competitive to get in. You better have all your ducks in a row if you expect to get accepted. It's not like your average state college that anyone with a 2.5 GPA and 1100 SAT score can waltz into. It's HARD. The cirriculum is insanely hard. There are more graduating alcoholics from MIT than anywhere else because its so stressful. But if you go there and graduate, you're pretty much guaranteed a job anywhere you want.

So yes, if your qualifications are up to par, then apply and right soon. But remember what I said, and make sure you dont apply to just one college in case you dont get in. I applied to 27 colleges back when I was in high school, had to keep my options open.

Comment

MIT? Yeah, it's worth applying.

Unless you're looking for other suggestions as backup. I'm sure your guidance counsellor would know of other schools you could apply to that are challenging and fit your interests.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

27? damn that's a lot.

Back on topic...

Building on what Sarc said, its really up to not only what you want to major in but also what kind of campus life you want and realistically, what you can afford. Then there is the size of the school, size of the classes, urban or rural campus, night/day life, athletics, facilities, etc. People may suggest what colleges to look at but you will need to look at each one because in the end its up to you.

But yes, MIT is certainly worth a look.

Comment

If you can get into MIT, and computer science is your major, you would certainly get into it's sister school in PA, Carnegie Mellon. Although perhaps not as reknown as MIT for it's engineering, Carnegie Mellon is superior in it's computer science related stuff.

Comment

Are you a senior 2 Para? If so you need to start looking seriously at schools NOW. You need to get your applications out by the end of October at the latest; September is better.

MIT is a competitive school to get into, but it's also a very good school. It's an excellent engineering & computer science school. Among the best in the world. My sister is attending MIT and WHOI for her PhD and I've had a few friends from high school who made it through MIT as undergraduates. If you finish, you'll be one of the highest paid and most sought after graduates just because you went there and finished. Any additional skill that you posses above and beyond the ability to graduate from MIT is just icing on the cake to future employers/grad schools (and more money in the bank for you) :)

Don't worry about financing it until you're accepted. As part of the admissions process, they'll judge you're ability to pay and you're likelihood of picking up financial aid (government grant/loans--they may even offer you some). If they accept you, it is well worth it to take on debt to be able to attend.

Carnegie Mellon has a great CS program. It has a different campus life than MIT so it would be just a matter of preference. If I were you, I'd look and see what type of research programs each school you're interested in is running and focus on the schools that are doing research in the area that interests you most (just head to the department web pages and links to different research consortia should be there). As an upperclassman you will have opportunities to work with faculty and graduate assistants on their research projects, and it works out better if you really have an interest in what they're doing.
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Not to shamelessly self-promote, but I'm a CS student at Brown, and I'd recommend looking here, too. Brown has an amazing CS program.

Brown is very undergraduate focused - there are plenty of research opportunities for undergrads, and every CS class is taught by a professor. One professor, Andy van Dam, has literally written the book everyone uses for graphics programming. He also teaches the intro to CS course that most people take as their first CS course. All the TAs are undergrads who have taken the course they've TAed, so you'll never have the problem of having some unapproachable or unintelligible grad student as the only person you can go to for help.

In addition to just CS classes, there are lots of other reasons to look at Brown. The Open Curriculum means there are no core requirements - if you don't want to take English or History, you never have to. You can take any course pass/fail, even if it's in your major. When I looked at schools, MIT and Carnegie Mellon looked to be extremely competitive with generally unhappy student bodies (just look at MIT's "IHTFP"). Brown, on the other hand, is one of the few schools where people actually yell "Come to Brown" at tour groups, and was ranked 1st in the nation for happiest students until dropping to 2nd this year. There is virtually no competition among students (except maybe pre-meds).

Comment

Awesome Yoshi :D
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X