Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Security Key

Note:
    Just so you know I am not in any way affiliated with either Verisign or The TWiT Network.
    This was just something I thought was worth mentioning. I find it to bring me extra peace of mind. Also, I see it as a beneficial concept for some additional security and the promotion of OpenID.

Well while listening to my favorite podcast network www.twit.tv.
    Specifically a show called Security Now. A piece of hardware was mentioned called the Paypal/Ebay Security Key. This key which is essentially random number generator. Is supposed to act as an extra level of security for your account. By creating a series of numbers that would be added after your password on either site. Now this is a nice security blanket in my opinion.
    The added bonus is that this key can also be referenced to a OpenID account you may have.

For more information I would recommend you listen to this podcast:
    http://www.twit.tv/sn103

and read these links
    https://www.paypal.com/securitykey
    https://pip.verisignlabs.com/

Re: Paypal Security Key

I'm confused on the security key, do you have to memorize this random number and put it in each time you put in your password?
    USAR

Comment

No, they couldn't sell a product if you could do this without it. The hardware takes care of all that for you.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

You would enter the number after your password.

Comment

It's also known as two-factor authentication. Two-factor authentication uses a common security methodology that requires two different factors to provide authentication of an individual. These factors are most often simplified as "what you have" and "what you know". ATM cards are a basic example of two-factor authentication. You can not access your bank account unless you have the card and know the PIN that is associated with the card.

With SecurID technology the password is what you know and being able to type in the PIN displayed on the token shows that you have possession of the token.

I have, and have been using, the PayPal token for several months now. The technology used is made by RSA and also known as RSA SecurID.

It is quite common in the financial and credit card processing industry these days. Most processors use two factor authentication for access into their production systems and VPN connectivity.

As far as OpenID goes, I would stay away from that for the time being. But two-factor authentication is a good deal.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

This technology was also discussed in the following threads:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...available.html
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...n-you-too.html

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
              I have, and have been using, the PayPal token for several months now. The technology used is made by RSA and also known as RSA SecurID.
              How much does that cost?

I've got one for work, and I always assumed that it cost a pretty penny. It's pretty slick and seems quite secure. The best part, IMO, is that if your token is stolen, you know that you need to make a phone call and suspend access until you get a new token associated with your profile/account.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                How much does that cost?

I've got one for work, and I always assumed that it cost a pretty penny. It's pretty slick and seems quite secure. The best part, IMO, is that if your token is stolen, you know that you need to make a phone call and suspend access until you get a new token associated with your profile/account.
                It was actually free. I'm not sure if they plan on charging any one-time fee for the keys, but when I got in on the early adoption program for PayPal's premiere member deal they gave it to me for $0.

The keys themselves are very cheap. In bulk they cost less than $5. The systems and software on the provider end are fairly expensive though.

Comment

The FOB costs $5 through the paypal sponsored program.
                  If you wish to purchase more through verisign labs. I believe they want $30 per FOB.

Comment

After looking at my PayPal token, I guess they're using Verisign and not RSA SecurID. In a way that sucks because if I was going to use the new Verisign OpenID system (which is probably the only one I would use, short of building my own OpenID system) I would love to use one of the several RSA SecurID tokens that I got from RSA as part of a promotion. I'm not that keen on using my PayPal token for anything other than PayPal.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X