Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those that read the Wheel of Time series...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that read the Wheel of Time series...

Robert Jordan died yesterday. Sad times. Finally succumbed to his disease at 58, and unfortunately didn't finish the last book of the series.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: For those that read the Wheel of Time series...

Well ****, now how am I gonna know how it ends?
    ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Obviously they will tap David Eddings to finish the book. Just like Frank Herbert had to be clowned by Brian.

Comment

This is sad news indeed.

I liked the first few books, but goddamn, that man could write a lot about nothing. Do not worry about the series being finished, he had a number of ghostwriters lined up to take over when the inevitable happened.

http://www.wotmania.com/wotmessagebo...essageID=68400
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Ghostwriters? Never heard that term... and I figure it means writers for when he passed away and surely not what google says it is:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...A+ghostwriters
          ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Well, years ago RJ was asked if he had the plot notes written down in case something happened to him. His response was no, everything was all in his head, so if he "got hit by a bus" or something, the story died with him.

Recent info, however, says that he passed on all his notes to close family members. Speculation is that either his wife Harriet (his editor and a writer herself) or one of his close companions that frequently provided updates will be the one to finish it.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Well, I did not read the books specifically because I can't stand neverending stories like that. I loved RJ's writing, but gosh, sometimes things need to be wrapped up (just in case something like this happens).

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Before the end of the series, I suspect that Nynaeve will tug on her hair at some point.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Damn! I really love those books. I don't so much mind ready an 800 page novel about the day in a life of one or two characters (although he did get carried away with the back story).

I'm just hoping that someone good steps up to finish the novels. I *need* to find out how this sucker ends!

Comment

I actually read a little bit of his blog when he went on hiatus to undergo the procedure. I think he was aiming for 24 books, but when he was diagnosed he cut his goals a bit short and went for the 12 mark. Thats why it always felt to me that the last few books were a bit rushed and suddenly the end jumps out of the corner and says "I'm here". Compared to the pacing of plot in the earlier novels everything just comes crashing down. It all happens in a logical fashion, but it still seems like things were in a rush to completion.

The 12th and final book in this chapter of the story 'Memories of the Light' was reported to be well on its way to completion and a nice way to tie off a good deal, but not all, of the important points in the series. He mentioned about really wanting to go into the details of Matt's relationship and Perrin's evolution as a leader, but would settle for closure on the main story and then revisiting the side plots with future installments.

Fans of the series and his work will just have to settle for the end of as much as he was able to give us in the time he had left and ignore the rushed or unfinished plot lines.

Good reading, but DAMN when you have a prologue that is over 70 pages in length and it still doesn't explain everything you need to know its time to finish things and start again. If you read everything to start to finish you can see a definate pattern in the way he wrote his books. A repeating process I suppose that gives credability to people who called him the "RJ plot machine". Insert words on one end, have plot spew out the other. Same story, different characters.
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

His books definitely needed more cowbell.

And sex.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

R.I.P, i love those books. I had no idea he was as bad as he was, he was always very optimistic in his blog posts. Makes me want to read the 12th book even more now.
                        "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

but goddamn, that man could write a lot about nothing.

Exactly!!!I tried to read the first one and I kept reading thinking I was gonna get to something good but it just kept going and going and going. The energizer bunny ain't got nothing on Robert Jordan's writing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well the first book was the foundation for the series and, to be brutally honest, was boring as hell. The second book is a bit of an improvement and by the third book everything is moving at a good speed that you are generally interested in what happens next. One of the bigger draws is his constant use of irony to pull you along. A character has a vision or gets a clue of something you have full knowledge of and goes meandering off on a logical, but wrong, direction and you just can't wait for them to pick up on the real trail to see how they react.

Around book 10 everything speeds up beyond all recognition and you are sometimes left saying "WTH?" when things hit you out of left field.
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Does.. Frack!! count as a legitimate response!?
                              I had a feeling this was gonna happen. The one series I absolutely would kill for and the dude croaks..

On a serious note. RIP R.J. great stories I remember reading the first one in 7th grade.
                              My writing teacher was a awesome person and teacher. I would definitely credit her with giving my literary tastes the springboard into Sc-Fi novels. I also read the Wizard of Earthsea in her class almost 14 years ago.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X