No announcement yet.

You run, you just run.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You run, you just run.

Originally posted by tfa
    When turned on, it emits an invisible, focused beam of radiation - similar to the microwaves in a domestic cooker - that are tuned to a precise frequency to stimulate human nerve endings.

It can throw a wave of agony nearly half a mile.

Because the beam penetrates skin only to a depth of 1/64th of an inch, it cannot, says Raytheon, cause visible, permanent injury.

But anyone in the beam's path will feel, over their entire body, the agonising sensation I've just felt on my fingertip. The prospect doesn't bear thinking about.

"I have been in front of the full-sized system and, believe me, you just run. You don't have time to think about it - you just run," says George Svitak, a Raytheon executive.

Re: You run, you just run.

Real interrogation without the mess and 30x the fear factor. Wonder when it'll start to be used.
    Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

There is a video around here somewhere of one of those machines on top of a military humvee. It's quite strange seeing someone hit by it, they wince really violently.

Reminds me of the "Pain amplifier” in Star wars. Well..the concept is pretty common in Sci-Fi stuff.

Imagine an atmospheric satellite mounted system!
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

It's a good thing there's no way this could possibly be used by people for nefarious purposes.

Grampa: What the hell is that?
            Frink: Why, it's a death ray my good man, behold.
            (Frink fires death ray)
            Grampa: Hey, feels warm, kinda nice.
            Frink: Well it's just a prototype, with proper funding I'm
            confident this little baby could destroy an area the
            size of New York City.
            Grampa: But I want to help people, not kill 'em.
            Frink: Oh, well to be honest, the ray only has evil
            applications. You know my wife will be happy,
            she's hated this whole death ray thing from day
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

IIRC, they have units like this already in use mounted on top of Humvees for crowd control purposes.

Torture never occurred to me though. Yikes.

Why does that device freak me out a little and make me uncomfortable just reading about it?

Yeah, I also remember seeing a video of it mounted on a humvee for crowd control. People would try to stay in place, but would have to run from the pain. It can be dialed into an area of about 1-2 feet or wide like about 20 feet or so...but unsure exactly. Just remembering what I saw...

Think it was on one of those Discovery Channel shows for new gadgets or such.

I call shenanigans. That is a guy touching the side of an uber PC power supply with a neat little carrying handle screwed to the top of it.

Is that weapon suitable for SLI?
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

An invisible means of making people shout and scream and run in pain. I'm sure this wont be used illegally. And there's no way in hell they've been testing more powerful direct energy weapons in iraq. That'd be immoral and the US has standards!

Better known as:
                        That noob who crashed the chopper.
                        That noob who ran over the mine.
                        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

There...should be legit site. Looks like what I saw on Discovery...

You set up a perimeter of these babies and I bet it works like an electric dog fence. Just think, its only slightly more expensive then buying the actual dog fence and collaring the entire population of the surrounding area.

Hell, just one with enough power and range using some sort of reflector would do the same if the beam is focused enough.

However since technology works around escalation how would you counter such a device? Aside from carpet bombing the area or using long ranged weapondry to destroy it would we see soldiers decked out in lead suits or large lead shields to block the radiation?
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

this scares me more then anything, it's literally the "Nightmare" of Terrorist weapons, Half mile...................New york city anyone? 13 million people in the most extreme agony with no one knowing wtf is going on.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed