What to do in Providence, Rhode Island

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do in Providence, Rhode Island

OK. I'm in Providence attending a conference until Thursday afternoon. I know there are a few of you around here from this part of the world so..... There's two things I'm quite interested in:

Local brews....Is there any craft breweries around here, and what should I look for.

Local cuisine....I would like to sample what is famous here. Is NE clam chowder a stereotype, or can I find a mean bowl. Any other local delicacies?

I'm primarily interested in stuff that is within walking distance of Brown, but will take a cab for something exceptional.

BTW, if there are any TG that have time for a beer while I'm here, I'd be more than happy to sit down for a pint :D

Cheers!

Re: What to do in Providence, Rhode Island

I hear prostitution is legal...

Hope you have a good (and clean) time :D
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
      I hear prostitution is legal...

Hope you have a good (and clean) time :D
      Eek I think that is in Provincetown...not Providence... rofl.

Jam I wish you would have posted earlier...I would have made the drive down to show you around a little bit. There should be many bars around Brown..but if you are feeling expensive then this place is great.

http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/

Have fun!
      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Heavy Drinking is something I found to be pretty fun when I was there last...I'm sure it still is...
        To err is human, to forgive divine...Neither of which is Marine Corps policy...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
          OK. I'm in Providence attending a conference until Thursday afternoon. I know there are a few of you around here from this part of the world so..... There's two things I'm quite interested in:

Local brews....Is there any craft breweries around here, and what should I look for.

Local cuisine....I would like to sample what is famous here. Is NE clam chowder a stereotype, or can I find a mean bowl. Any other local delicacies?

I'm primarily interested in stuff that is within walking distance of Brown, but will take a cab for something exceptional.

BTW, if there are any TG that have time for a beer while I'm here, I'd be more than happy to sit down for a pint :D

Cheers!
          Well. I live in Rhode Island and only work about 15 minutes from Providence. Not like this is a big state or anything.

Union Station Brewery is a good time. If the master brewer, Carl, is there, tell him I said hello. They've got some good stuff on tap.

If you're into chain-expensive, there's a Ruth's Chris next to the Providence Place Mall. There's also the original Capital Grille in Providence right next to Union Station.

If you feel like getting a taxi and want some halfway decent Mexican type food, you could always have them take you to the Cactus Grille on Allens Ave. Good margaritas there.

Stickyfingers is a must visit, IMO. One of the best kept secrets in Providence.

Union Station Brewery
          36 Exchange Terrace
          Providence, RI
          Phone: (401) 274-2739

The Original Cactus Grille
          800 Allens Ave
          Providence, RI 02905
          Phone: (401) 941-0004

Stickyfingers
          137 Douglas Ave
          Providence, RI 02908
          Phone: (401) 272-7427

I won't know until later what my schedule is like, but I'd be up for meeting for a beer! PM me if you like.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yeah, I wish I had posted earlier...but I didn't even think about it until I was sitting around looking for something to do :(

We hit the Union brewery yesterday and it was great... I may hit it for lunch tommorow (it's right beside the convention centre)..(will Carl recognize the name aphophis?)

Anyways:

I love academic conferences...tonight we had 1 german, 2 indians, 1 checzh, 1 irishman, 1 californian, and 1 canadian (me). we ended up at the trinity brewhouse for about 6 hours.

The russian imperial stout @ 8% was o.k. It has elements of chocolate, but overall it tastes like molasis and it quite sweet. Although for stout I'll stick to guiness.

I ended up drinking the Kolsch at Trinity. My german collegue informed me that this is a native beer of the city Cologne, Germany. It is only brewed there. The Trinity variety was quite good and lite, although apparently doesn't live up the to the legacy. For the record, I had 7 of the 22 oz pints (also @ $5.00/beer, which is a steal when the canadian dollar is near parity :D)

I also had a few Hefeweizen, the Trinity wheat beers. This was also very good, but had a smokey flavour that reminded me of smoked salmon. A very good sipping beer :)

I have a banquet at the Brown University Faculty Club tommorow night, but hopefully there will be enough people around to drag to sticky fingers before I leave!

For any. Providence is a beautiful city and well worth visiting :D

Cheers all, and thanks for the advice :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X