Switch Back to Firefox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Back to Firefox

I finally made a switch from Opera back to Firefox after finding out I could have FF restore previous sessions (much like Opera). Plus, I keep hearing so much about that GreaseMonkey script, I'm tempted to try it out. I can't stand how Opera eats more resources even though I'll close most of the tabs (memory leak).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Switch Back to Firefox

You should check Tab Mix Plus, it offers even more options in its Session Manager, automatically restoring sets, grabbing them in a crash, etc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122

Also highly recommended:

* Stylish (specify different font/sizes for ALL Google-based sites, and other site-specific modifications)

* Hide Menubar ('nuff said - how often does anyone really USE the menu bar?)

And the best reason to use FF: Smart Keywords.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire...-keywords.html

Any search field, any site.. Right-click and select "Add a keyword for this search". Let you specify 1-letter or multi-letter combinations to quickly search using the Location bar. For example:

"gv squadplay bf2142" searches Google Video with those terms.

Very handy, esp. if you search multiple sites often. "gi" for Google Images; "nb" for notebookreviews.com; etc.

FF FTW!

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Damonte uses the Firefox Portable edition. No history tracking for anyone to comb, great security, and one can move the whole directory/application to another machine for backups or synchronizations.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Portable takes too long to fire up, no pun intended, or did when last I tried it. Unfortunately, I can no longer use FF on my machine, it locks up the whole PC after being open for a minute or two I can't toggle numlock or capslock, mouse is frozen, keyboard is useless. I don't get it and there are no errors logged anywhere. It is beyond frustrating. Uninstalling and reinstalling don't help, any ideas?

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Maybe your firewall is blocking permissions for Firefox to run. So the system hangs whenever you try to run FF.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nope, the firewall is fine (though good theory seeing as I am using Windows Live One Care, hmmm...).

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Err, Windows Live One Care? Isn't that exclusively for Vista? If it's Vista you're running, try checking out FF's forums to see if any other Vista users are experiencing a similar problem.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Err, Windows Live One Care? Isn't that exclusively for Vista? If it's Vista you're running, try checking out FF's forums to see if any other Vista users are experiencing a similar problem.
                No, it is not exclusive to Vista. I am running 32bit XP w/SP2. The issue just started happening a few weeks ago. Since it's habitual for me to click on the FF icon, I had uninstall it for good or risk punching a whole through my LCD screen.

- -

Comment

Oh, didn't know Live One was for XP as well.

If it's not your firewall, I'm not sure what else might cause your system to lock up when running FF.

Did you use WLO before this problem started happening?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Oh, didn't know Live One was for XP as well.

If it's not your firewall, I'm not sure what else might cause your system to lock up when running FF.

Did you use WLO before this problem started happening?
                    Yup, as a matter of fact, my trial period expires today and I believe the trail was 90 days. So I had a good 2+ months of FF and WLO getting along nicely.

- -

Comment

Ever since I switched to FF I never looked back. While I feel the last version is a lot slower then the earlier ones it is still so great.

Greasemonkey -I don't get how it works- seems to be a placeholder to use different scripts in. The only script I have in is "blockflash-revisited". It rocks. I can visit a site, and 90% of the time it will show all I need to see, but blocks ALL the flash adds, the noises and the other bull****. Makes me laugh every time when I see the placeholders :). Watch out though what scripts you get (If like me you cannot write them yourself), because some are bad, and will open up your PC too much. Some of them may even be malicious themselves. So be sure to find a good site, and you read the comments.

One event completely won me for FF. One day I was writing a very long and laboured AAR. Sure enough the power fell out in the whole house. Screaming rabidly I restarted my PC, clicked FF, clicked "accept" when it asked whether I wanted to restore the last session,....and Boom there it was my whole post in the redaction window, just as I left it.

Comment

That is a nice feature (saving what you typed) that I've only found in FF and Opera. I had used Opera and FF for a while, but before I did not know FF allowed me to restore my last session automatically (which is the main reason why I stuck to Opera).

I've gone back and reinstalled most of the scripts I used with FF before (like the downloader bar, pdf downloader, and tab scoope).

In addition, I've noticed how FF's full screen keeps the address bar and tabs near the top so it's accessible without me having to hold "alt" (like in Opera) to see them.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                          Ever since I switched to FF I never looked back. While I feel the last version is a lot slower then the earlier ones it is still so great.

Greasemonkey -I don't get how it works- seems to be a placeholder to use different scripts in. The only script I have in is "blockflash-revisited". It rocks. I can visit a site, and 90% of the time it will show all I need to see, but blocks ALL the flash adds, the noises and the other bull****. Makes me laugh every time when I see the placeholders :). Watch out though what scripts you get (If like me you cannot write them yourself), because some are bad, and will open up your PC too much. Some of them may even be malicious themselves. So be sure to find a good site, and you read the comments.

One event completely won me for FF. One day I was writing a very long and laboured AAR. Sure enough the power fell out in the whole house. Screaming rabidly I restarted my PC, clicked FF, clicked "accept" when it asked whether I wanted to restore the last session,....and Boom there it was my whole post in the redaction window, just as I left it.
                          Wyzcrak's Greasemonkey scripts for the TG forums are what got me to switch to Firefox. If you're running Greasmonkey without the TG scripts, you are wrong.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There will be a somewhat noticeable slowdown if you have too many Greasmonkey scripts running. The same can be said for extensions as well, pick them with care. And I do agree, Wyzcrak's scripts are awesome (when I could use them :()!

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax74 View Post
                              There will be a somewhat noticeable slowdown if you have too many Greasmonkey scripts running. The same can be said for extensions as well, pick them with care. And I do agree, Wyzcrak's scripts are awesome (when I could use them :()!
                              I think it's more a matter of what the scripts do and how they are written instead of how many you're running. Unless you're talking about running hundreds of scripts...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X