TF2 Forums and Server Offline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TF2 Forums and Server Offline

The TF2 Forums and server have been taken off-line.

We tried an experiment with TF2 and got the community involved in the roll out of this game a little earlier than normal. The thought was that we have a whole bunch of mature and respectful adults that could actually work together to help identify problems so we could get everything in line before we officially launched the game.

Unfortunately this was a disaster. Some individuals were too quick to be slighted and assumed that everything was an attack on their person. Others got too defensive about their previous positions in TG and how long they've been around or how many people play the game they admin for. Going down the road, we had another subset that didn't care about anything but killing things in-game.

Enough is enough.

Over the next couple days I'm going to work with TheFenix, the current TF2 admins and the Game Officers here at TG to resolve some of the lingering issues and complete the assembly of the official TF2 admin team and rules before bringing things back on-line.

I think this whole situation could have been handled MUCH better if people actually acknowledged that this game was UNOFFICIAL at TG. We were testing it out, participating in the beta, and trying to work out the kinks. This was said time and time and time again yet people still got all bent out of shape because the environment wasn't "polished", or they disagreed with the admin team selection, and a whole host of other issues that should be EXPECTED considering the circumstances.

The reaction to this experiment has, unfortunately, had an impact on my plans for the Tactical Gamer Community Game Development group that would give community members a LOT more involvement in shaping the community as a whole, what new games we support, and a host of other things. I will need to re-assess those plans.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: TF2 Forums and Server Offline

Darn now I have to destroy hoardes of pubs to quench my thirst for blood.

I can't say I didn't see it coming. I was not very impressed by the way things were going (I was part of this problem mind you).

I suppose you can throw me into the subset that didn't care about anything but killing things in-game (well not entirely). I care for teamwork and such, but only took peoples "advice" while playing with a grain of salt as I still feel people don't have a good grasp on every class/map and the game dynamics (which are changing slightly every day as people play more and more).

So, I'm glad you took it off to work things out on the one hand, and sad I must now destroy innocent sheep on pubs on the other.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Still good news for the future if TG decides to do TF2... I had fun during the short time the server was up especially when Bomm was there :)

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
        Darn now I have to destroy hoardes of pubs to quench my thirst for blood.

I can't say I didn't see it coming. I was not very impressed by the way things were going (I was part of this problem mind you).

I suppose you can throw me into the subset that didn't care about anything but killing things in-game (well not entirely). I care for teamwork and such, but only took peoples "advice" while playing with a grain of salt as I still feel people don't have a good grasp on every class/map and the game dynamics (which are changing slightly every day as people play more and more).

So, I'm glad you took it off to work things out on the one hand, and sad I must now destroy innocent sheep on pubs on the other.
        For making you play with the pubs, I apologize. :)

We just need time to get this game organized. The admin team is already changing wildly from the initial base we started with and we've got a new server on the way to support the game once everything is hammered out.

Comment

Originally posted by VegaBond View Post
          Still good news for the future if TG decides to do TF2... I had fun during the short time the server was up especially when Bomm was there :)
          The title is certainly in our very near future. So fear not!

Comment

bah, i just got it installed late last night

still cant figure out how to change my name from "unamed"

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Meat View Post
              bah, i just got it installed late last night

still cant figure out how to change my name from "unamed"
              Steam community name reflects the ingame name

Comment

Couldn't really understand all the Drama myself. I look forward to playing again with TG.
                The Dirty

Comment

Can you make an announcement on the TF2 Steam Community? It took me a while to find this thread, and I'm sure others will be wondering what the heck is going on.
                  The Dirty

Comment

I'd go a step further and suggest Front Paging this. The question of "What's going on? Where's the TF2 server?" came up in the PCS forums as well. I also think the magnitude and implication of this decision is worth the whole community taking in.
                    | | |

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyLude View Post
                      Can you make an announcement on the TF2 Steam Community? It took me a while to find this thread, and I'm sure others will be wondering what the heck is going on.
                      Done.
                      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                        I'd go a step further and suggest Front Paging this. The question of "What's going on? Where's the TF2 server?" came up in the PCS forums as well. I also think the magnitude and implication of this decision is worth the whole community taking in.
                        That is overkill. There was never a front page post about it being here, why would we put one up about it being gone?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Because I think there's a lesson in recent events for everyone to learn from. Not just those that were involved with TF2.
                          | | |

Comment

Lessons are not front page news items.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

There is precedence of this, that I'm sure you're aware of, of things that occured not even too long ago within the community (it was Front Page news). It was just a suggestion. Debating whether or not it should be done or why it should be done is not for this thread.
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X