Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gods and Heroes CANCELLED: DRAMAAA!

(hits uninstall button)

Yup, this is no joke. After years of development and untold sums of money, Perpetual is setting this game on the back-burner.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/13334

Mind you, this game is hereby DEAD IMO unless some small independent company or hobbyist(s) pick it up. I dont foresee it ever coming back to the MMO scene.

I figure the NDA is a bit more lax now, so I'll loosen my lips as a beta-tester a bit. Frankly, I dont blame them for cancelling. The game was "interesting," had a different "feel," and was pretty elegant... but it was still missing a whole lot (the game was also devoid of any real emotion - things felt very sterile). It needed a LOT of work even though the game was pretty much fleshed out. It definitely woulda' required more time then they were given to complete.

Also, you really have to look at the market. GnH was lagging terribly behind the other next-gen MMOs; TR, WAR, PotBS, AoC, etc. With all these games releasing near the same timeframe, it woulda been fiscally irresponsible for them to try to gain a piece of the market-share. They'd be wise to release much later next year.... which brings me to my next point.

Perpetual is tasked with the most difficult gaming development in history. They're developing Star Trek: Online. STO is slated to release Q4 '08. In order for them to even come close to that timeframe, they'd have to skimp in other areas. They already axed a LARGE amount of their GnH staff and shuffled them over to STO. Was only a matter of time before they cut the cord altogether.

I dont blame them here. Honestly, they've been downright neglecting the STO franchise and need to kick it into high gear. GnH seriously slowed down STO's development. And for a game that will probably be the BIGGEST most money-making game in gaming history, that's quite a mistake. Soooo... bye bye GnH.

I'm honestly glad it's gone, because quite frankly there are too many games releasing in too short a timeframe to play. And I must HAVE THEM ALL! (cough)

Okay, anyways... an interesting thing I realized last week in the Tabula Rasa beta is that TR will be instituting MANY of the gaming tech. that GnH was using. TR wont be releasing with this tech., but will be patching it in within the 1st year. We're talking about individual squad-based combat here. Where a PC gets to control his/her own NPC squad. These NPCs also have their own gear and stats, etc. that can be improved upon. In TR, this will be a major part of the "endgame." I'm hypothesizing that the news of NCSoft putting this gaming element into TR kind of took the life out of the GnH staff. In reality, TR is a much better platform for such an element and GnH would've been largely a re-tread by the time it got released. I bet if you dig deep enough you might even find some Perpetual Staff now working for NCSoft. (giggle)

Another interesting note... PotBS got its publishing from the same pubby as GnH. yes, SOE. When this happened I trolled the PotBS forums months ago and was promptly shut down. Trust me, SOE has SOMETHING to do with all of this. It was totally counterproductive having 2 titles release at the same time in the same genre from the same pubby. One of them had to go, and GnH was the one chosen (PotBS is pretty much a done game neways, just needs a box).

Perpetual also seems to be trying to put together their own pubby and online gaming platform. When STO nears release, look for SOE to maybe scoop up the scraps if it doesnt work out.

Let's hope Perpetual hasnt bitten off more then it can chew here.

p.s.
    If they screw up STO there will be riots in the streets and I'll be there in the front with the molotov cocktails.

Re: Gods and Heroes CANCELLED: DRAMAAA!

Yes, disappointing for sure. I liked the setting and was going to play until Age of Conan is released in March of '08 :)
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
      Yes, disappointing for sure. I liked the setting and was going to play until Age of Conan is released in March of '08 :)
      Statements like this are a big reason why they cancelled it. :)

Hey, AoC is going to have a run for it's money also with WAR and even TR (I still think TR will be a sleeper hit). I was a HUGE AoC fan initially, but lately a pit has been growing in my stomach after doing more research on WAR. (I wont go into more detail then this)

In other news... WAR has cancelled their BETA program also. This is to speed up development so they say. here's the post:
      http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/13322

This is a smart move by Mythic IMO. It speeds up dev. since they dont have to worry about flaming betatesters with redundant bug reports. It also will help them meet their Feb. 08' deadline, which puts pressure on AoC.

It's amazing watching all these gaming companies fight over the scraps they hope WoW will leave them.

Anyways, game #1 bites the dust... who's next?

Comment

So Dramatic I havent even heard of it.

Then again, I dont care much for MMO's anymore. Not since Diablo 2 consumed me for 2 years...

But I did however follow this game from time to time, and it did resemble, in my mind, STARCRAFT GHOST. dun dun dun.
        Skud

Comment

Bah! No wonder the servers were nonexsistant when I tried to get in to beta test the damn thing.

So much success with a MMORPG depends on when they release it and what they're competeing against. WoW was able to scoop up such a large portion of the market simply because they would majorly change the game to keep interest high (introduction of raids, battlegrounds, expansion pack) at times when other MMORPGs were trying to etch a corner of the market. People tend to stick with what's familar and interesting (oooh! 10 new levels with BC! Yay organized PvP! Epic new content!) than what could be seen as a possible investment into failure (Vanguard at the same time as BC release? ROFLMAO).

I'm really excited about AoC with what information they've announced, but I'm also kinda hesitant about a March '08 launch. WoW will probably release Wrath of the Lich King (the new Xpack) around early 08 or late 07. If its anything like Burning Crusade then that means it will suck up the time of players everywhere (and there are a lot of them as we know) into an investment that may make a change over to AoC a bit harder to make.

As it stands now I'm in the WoW doldrumes where I've gone as far as possible without a hardcore raiding group behind me pushing forward into the newest content possible. The WoW-TG guild is taking steps into the second tier of the current raiding content, but it'll probably be a long hard road until we master it (took several months to master an aspect of the first tier and several more to even step into the larger parts of that tier) and can progress into the third tier. Of course they've recently added the fourth tier and plans are already being made to put the fifth tier in place. All of this, of course, will be academic when WOTLK comes out so its a rush schedule that might be doomed to failure. Needless to say if AoC, or any decently good MMORPG that I'd take a shine to in a test run, were to be released now I'd switch in a heartbeat and to hell with the next WoW expansion. But release AoC after I get my hands on WOTLK and have 10 more levels, new lands, more crafts, and a heroic class with more promised to work on? It'll have to wait until I've squeezed the enjoyment out of that part of WoW and by then AoC may have slipped my mind entirely.
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

AoC is honestly now looking to bomb - or at least not be what everyone is expecting (the testers are not happy over there). Those "in the know" are even somewhat doubting WAR now, especially now that EA bought Bioware. There are rumours of a major game design change to go along with their already redesigned graphics.

The only sure-thing bright spots right now are PotBS and MAYBE Tabula Rasa (if PlayNC delivers).

Beyond this timeframe, there really isnt anything on the horizon for '08 besides STO, which is actually looking to bomb as well if they can even make their launch deadline. Personally, I dont think Perpetual will even last long enough to Dev. it. And STO will NOT be what people are thinking - look at it as EnB with avatar combat using the WoW model.

So my friends, the future looks bleak right now for any new great MMO idea. 2-4 years down the road, maybe... but as of now - it's still a gamespace that's had the life sucked out of it by WoW.

There are some sleepers out there though... "Hero's Journey".. the Bioware "mystery MMO" (nobody knows jack about this game) and a few others perhaps.

Comment

Don't be bashing Age of Conan - at least it won't have elves and if it does you can lop their heads off :)
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                Don't be bashing Age of Conan - at least it won't have elves and if it does you can lop their heads off :)
                Hey, I'm one of the biggest AoC fanbois... it's just that I've grown increasingly cynical these days after really digging deep into industry news. It's depressing, honestly.

I'm now to the point where I simply say "until I play it.. it most likely sux"

Comment

I remember there being a post somewhere on this forum that actually had a list of all MMORPGs and hot ticket games currently in development for the PC.

To be brutally honest I believe STO is going to suck unless they dramatically change the star trek universe. Star Trek was all about big space battles and political intrigue. Big space battles and political intrigue were about big space ships and organizations. Big space ships and organizations were about large groups and crews working together. Etc etc etc. A MMORPG will have to dramatically dumb down STO to make it user friendly simply because, as much love as the fans have for it, a hardcore Star Trek game would never be popular. Hell, if you want to play a seriously deep Star Trek game then join some of the free MUD communities out there. I really do mean 'communities' too. You play, with text only, from recruit to a position on a star ship and you do that job. I think I was a medic staring at life support readings for an hour or two with an old clan before I said "screw this I'd rather be an engineer and stare at engine readings and power outputs". Of course you work on promotions and if you get high enough to Captain your own ship (with a crew of 50-60 people under you and I'm dead serious about that) you get to do the fun stuff such as read tactical data, plot courses for your navigators to enter in, and order the weapons officer around during combat. I swear you had to read blindingly fast and type even faster to keep up with the sheer amount of technical and scientific data relayed to you from your 'station' and that's when you're working in a team in a department. -.- Dumb that down to 'press 1 to fire' and you lose a lot of the Star Trek experience...that of being a cog in a machine.
                  -.o<(We are the Borg. Resistance is futile)
                  My sanity is not in question...
                  It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                    I remember there being a post somewhere on this forum that actually had a list of all MMORPGs and hot ticket games currently in development for the PC.

To be brutally honest I believe STO is going to suck unless they dramatically change the star trek universe. Star Trek was all about big space battles and political intrigue. Big space battles and political intrigue were about big space ships and organizations. Big space ships and organizations were about large groups and crews working together. Etc etc etc. A MMORPG will have to dramatically dumb down STO to make it user friendly simply because, as much love as the fans have for it, a hardcore Star Trek game would never be popular. Hell, if you want to play a seriously deep Star Trek game then join some of the free MUD communities out there. I really do mean 'communities' too. You play, with text only, from recruit to a position on a star ship and you do that job. I think I was a medic staring at life support readings for an hour or two with an old clan before I said "screw this I'd rather be an engineer and stare at engine readings and power outputs". Of course you work on promotions and if you get high enough to Captain your own ship (with a crew of 50-60 people under you and I'm dead serious about that) you get to do the fun stuff such as read tactical data, plot courses for your navigators to enter in, and order the weapons officer around during combat. I swear you had to read blindingly fast and type even faster to keep up with the sheer amount of technical and scientific data relayed to you from your 'station' and that's when you're working in a team in a department. -.- Dumb that down to 'press 1 to fire' and you lose a lot of the Star Trek experience...that of being a cog in a machine.
                    -.o<(We are the Borg. Resistance is futile)
                    I've been scribbling a game design very similar to what you're saying STO SHOULD be. Thing is, I disagree with you... personally, I think a modern ST MMO SHOULD be hard-core and I do believe it'd draw plenty of people. Thing with the MUD version is, you have to TYPE to do things and that inherently isnt TREKish at all. Trek had computers and buttons with groovy displays - all that made it easier. Hence, a MUD game ported into a 3d version would be an instant hit IMO.

Alas, what PE is making is NOTHING like what star trek is. Basically, everyone has their own "shuttle craft" and they fly around and shoot phasors on "away missions" and that's basically it. It's totally wacked.

dammit, i'm making my own mmo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X