Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knob Creek machine gun shoot. (pics of guns!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knob Creek machine gun shoot. (pics of guns!)

My wife is wonderful, after a stressful week of midterms and dealing with a few personal problems, I have been pretty disgruntled lately. That was until yesterday morning. She woke me up early, on a Saturday and asked me to come into our den to see a video. Puzzled and bleary eyed, I stumbled into the room. She proceeds to show me a video on youtube featuring an episode of Mail Call with R. Lee Ermey where he visits this gig machine gun shoot.

"That's pretty cool, but why wake me up so early, woman?" she then tells me that we are going to this.....today. My heart leaps. I find out that several of my friends have known about this plan of hers for over a month and a couple of them are coming with us. We pile into a car and take the hour and a half trip down to West Point Kentucky. The place isn't hard to find and has TONS of parking. Even with courtesy trams to ferry folks to and from the parking areas. or, as we did, you can just hike the half mile to the range.

This gun shoot is something that must be experienced to be fully appreciated. there are main range shoots every several hours all day with flamethrower rentals in between. Yes, flamethrower rentals. :row__523: You can fell the bigger guns shooting from quite a ways away and you can feel the heat from the barrels full of diesel going off from even further.

For a nominal fee (60$) you can take a trip around the grounds in an OH-6A scout chopper that (as I was told) actually saw service in Vietnam. You can even throw in a bid on an auction with three winners to ride in the chopper with an M-60 mounted in it and fly over the range to take out targets door gunner style.

In addition to the trade show and big shoots, there is the famous "night shoot" We managed to get a spot on the roof of the building behind the firing line with a decent view. before each big shoot 50 gallon barrels are filled with fuel and strapped with a charge so that when hit it detonates. We were seeing mushroom clouds of flames easily 75 feet high.

Last edited by freekyE; 10-14-2007, 05:29 PM.

Re: Knob Creek machine gun shoot. (pics of guns!)

The guy with dual full auto Glocks is my hero.

And how the hell do you buy a minigun?

This is the greatest thing ever.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I was told one of the miniguns ont he firing line was sold at that range the year before, for 600,000$.

Ive been told that if you check out to buy a pistol then you can easily get a full auto. I just havent really looked into the laws.

Comment

Would it be inappropriate for me to say I love your wife?

Seriously you're one lucky guy and congrats for being able to go to the event. Of course you didn't mention what kind of hardware you got to play with. Spill! How much lead or propellant did you waste on the range?
        My sanity is not in question...
        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Man...your wife is awesome. You be good to her;)
          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

@ tarenth. Money was a bit tight so I went the whole day without firing a shot (splash? flamethrower?) only 10$ to get in the gate, but from what i saw it was around 50$ for any good shooting fun. i.e. 50$ for 30 rounds through a m249. I figured it would wait till the spring one when ill have quite a bit more money. The GE minigun is absolutely the most impressive gun on the range in my opinion. The solid line of tracers are like a laser beam at night and the sound is uncomparable. Truly a monstrous weapon.

@ dirt. SHES MINE! seriously, I love her to death.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
              I was told one of the miniguns ont he firing line was sold at that range the year before, for 600,000$.

Ive been told that if you check out to buy a pistol then you can easily get a full auto. I just havent really looked into the laws.
              Yeah, depending on your state laws, it's just a few forms, a background check and a $200 tax to buy a machine gun. The problem is that you can't buy machine guns made or imported after a certain time (1986, I think?). That means that there are a limited number of machine guns in existence that are available for civilian ownership. Cops and certain businesses (security firms and gun manufacturers, for instance) may manufacture, purchase and/or import new machine guns, but not civilians. Anyway, this finite number of MGs means that they carry a hefty price tag.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                ....this finite number of MGs means that they carry a hefty price tag.

yeah, like the pair of sequentially marked thompsons (serial number) i saw for 90,000$ :icon_eek:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X