Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plz help me (quickly) on writing a C.V. in English (uk).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plz help me (quickly) on writing a C.V. in English (uk).

Hi I couldn't think of a better place ask this. A friend of mine is applying for a job as a "wildlife-researcher" in England. She has never wrote a C.V. in English (uk english) and asked me to have a look at it.

I quickly came to the conclusion that I don't really have the knowledge that is needed for this. Therefore I ask for your help.

Plz read it and correct any typical formulations that need to be used, any spelling errors, or other advice you can give. A specific question is how do you say "cum laude" when you have scored over I believe 60%. I think what she used "with distinction" is not the right format, as it is a literal translation from Dutch.

Here is the letter (personal data stripped):
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

"xxxxxxxxxxx

street number; zip city; country
    [email protected]
    telephone-number
    Date of birth:
    Nationality: Belgian

Education

8/7/2005 Master of Veterinary Medicine, with distinction
    Option: Small Animals
    Thesis: Reproduction and contraception of the elephant
    Ghent University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Merelbeke (Belgium)

Optional subjects: Tropical Medicine; Socio-biology; Ecology (all with high
    distinction)
    Ghent University, Faculty of Biology, Ghent (Belgium)

3/7/2002 Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine
    Ghent University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Merelbeke (Belgium)

Work Experience

2005 – 2007 Veterinarian in small animal practice; a number of experiences in Belgium,
    France and The Netherlands
    High school teacher in physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics
    Winter 2004 Internship at the Rotterdam Zoo (The Netherlands)
    Summer 2003 Theory and practice course about elephant diseases and reproduction problems
    at the Royal Thai Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang (Thailand)
    Fall 2003 Wildlife anaesthetic course: posology and administration practice at the
    Chiang Mai Zoo (Thailand)
    1999 – 2007 Voluntary work in animal shelters (bird-dog-cat) and organic farms (cow-sheep)

Symposia

15/3/2007 Obesity. Linked diseases and risks during surgery. Torhout (Belgium)
    21/6/2006 Treatment of Cushing. Surgical Techniques. Roeselare (Belgium)
    29/10/2004 15th Symposium on Tropical Animal Health and Reproduction.
    Management of Elephant Reproduction. Utrecht (The Netherlands)

Languages

Dutch (native), French (very well), English (very well), Polish (well), German (basic) "
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all that want to help out. Plz do it now, as she has to send this soon.
    She is a great vet, and a hard worker. She is however too poor to start out on her own, and that is why I really want to help her as much as possible, why I really hope she can get a good job.

Thanks again from me, and from her.

Re: Plz help me (quickly) on writing a C.V. in English (uk).

Bah come on people no-one can spare the time to make a few short remarks? Plz help out.

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

With me American english, I would suggest changing "very well" and "well" in the language sections to "very fluent" and "fluent".

With regards to "cum laude" vs. "with distinction", I believe the later would be safer, as at my school, the latin distinctions each have their own criteria to achieve. Wouldn't want her to be accused to trying to pad a resume/CV when it's really just a language thing. If you want it to sound more formal, maybe she could use "with honors" instead.

What they tell us here is that when describing your work experience, you want to use the active form of the verb to start off. For example, instead of:

Veterinarian at small.... in France, Netherlands, and Belgium
        she could say:

"Practiced veterinary medicine at various small practices in France, Netherlands, and Belgium"

Similarly, it would be a lot more impressive to describe what she actually did at the elephant sanctuaries (i.e. active verbs) instead of just saying what courses she took there. Maybe she could say "Studied elephant reproductive diseases during course at ..." or "Assisted zookeepers to (whatever she did) at Rotterdam Zoo during internship". Seems like she's done a lot of neat stuff. Now, actually let her potential employer know what she actually did.

I think they symposia section needs more detail. Did she present a paper, a poster, or did she attend? I don't know much about animal medicine, but the descriptions she gives are vague and I can't tell much about her knowledge or expertise from them.

Good luck and I hope I was able to help!

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
        TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
        ||

Comment

Graduating "with distinction" or "with honors" also carry their own criteria, and they may not be the same. For instance, at Penn state university, receiving your BA with distinction requires that you have a minimum 3.5 GPA, took at least 60 credits at Penn state, and are within the top 12% of the graduating class (top 4% is with high distinction and top 2% is with highest distinction). Receiving your BA with honors requires that you fulfill the requirements of the Schreyer Honors College.

At my school, receiving your PhD with distinction requires that your oral defense committee deems your dissertation and your oral defense is really, really good (along with maybe some other requirements--it's not clear and it's not like a percentage or GPA matter like Penn state's BA with distinction). Very few receive their PhDs with distinction. In most graduating classes, nobody receives their degree with distinction, unlike Penn state where 12% will.

So, she should find out exactly what she graduated with--whatever scoring above 60% means at her school--because, as the penguineer mentioned, you don't want to be accused of padding your cv if someone finds out that you actually didn't graduate with distinction, honors, cum laude, or whatever.

Comment

Well I believe her use of the distinction phrase is right then. I really just needed to know whether the term "distinction" -as a litteral translation of the same word "onderscheiding" in dutch- is actually used in this context in English.

Since it clearly is, I'm positive that this is the best translation.

Again thanks all, now I can give her a decent answer.

Comment

In england that will mean very little, if your talking abotu some form of university education, the grades work like this.
              top- a first
              second- 2.1 (pronounced "a two one")
              third- 2.2 (pronounced "a two two")
              last- a third
              But since you went to a different schooling system, I think the best way to phrase it would be with distinction and high distinction which can then be explained on interview.
              Also for the languages i personally *(being british) would put
              Dutch (native), French (fluent), English (fluent), Polish (competent), German (conversational) or something similar
              Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

And a thanks to you to sir!

Comment

If she wants to send me her CV i'll look over it using track changes in word to make comments.
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I just know enough to not say bloody anything in the UK

Comment

Yep you can easily offend us true Brits, and Chavs are quite dangerous as well, mainly because of their stupidity. lol
                      A question for you guys in america, would you say you are english. Cause I was talkign to someone once and I said "Oh Im english", an dthey said "me too", but I knew they lived in america so i asked them where abouts in england are they form and they said some state oin america somewhere, and didnt seem to think there was a difference in being english or american.
                      Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

I certainly wouldn't say I'm English. I SPEAK English but it isn't my nationality.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yah agreed. I love hearing "Speak english!", I always ask why someone should have to speak english and they always respond with "It's our native language". Since when? We aren't english, the english are. Americans are americans and we've got such a diverse mix.

Besides what's the point of speaking a foreign language if everyone understands you?

Comment

English is the American native language :) Its not the Native American language though.

I usually complain that those brits don't know how to speak American. That pisses em off plenty :)
                            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                            That noob who crashed the chopper.
                            That noob who ran over the mine.
                            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Lol, to which i would reply that Americanisms have bastardized the english language. I mean you cant even spell centre properly or colour. :P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X