Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bioware's "Secret" MMO may have been leaked...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioware's "Secret" MMO may have been leaked...

Well guys... you know I keep an eye on this stuff. I thought my inner dork was satiated with news of WAR, AoC, and ST: ONLINE... But THIS "rumor" puts me over the top.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/...otor-universe/

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/829/829184p1.html

I will not comment just yet... I'll let the suspense build a little bit :) Click away...

p.s.
    I had fully expected something like this to happen once EA gobbled up Bioware. Company's too big to keep secrets like this.

p.p.s.
    In other MMO news - basically all the UO devs have been fired. The one or two that are left are moving to EAmythic's VA offices. EA at work yet again. (forgive the profanities in link below)
    http://www.f13.net/?itemid=612

Re: Bioware's "Secret" MMO may have been leaked...

Bioware is making an MMORPG...
    Bioware, the developers who have had such success with purely single player RPGs.

Huh...I don't think this will end well.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Well I'm all good for KOTOR online because it was a great game to play, as long as they do no infamous combat change like in SWG

Comment

nwn2 was a huge disappointment compared to nwn1. I have not trusted them since they released that garbage.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
          nwn2 was a huge disappointment compared to nwn1. I have not trusted them since they released that garbage.
          Bioware did NOT make Neverwinter Nights 2.
          Obsidian Entertainment did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_nights_2

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
            Bioware, the developers who have had such success with purely single player RPGs.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series were multiplayer games as well as single-player. I had an enjoyable time finishing all of those games playing multiplayer with my friends. It's was a lot easier doing that than getting together for a pen and paper session.
            -33rd- BaneII
            Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by Relmar View Post
              Bioware did NOT make Neverwinter Nights 2.
              Obsidian Entertainment did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_nights_2
              I would point out that it was Obsidian who made KOTOR 2 as well. Not a horrible game, despite the hacked up ending, but not nearly as good as the original. I don't think I'll be buying any Obsidian games anymore. Some friends and I started playing NWN2 and never finished mainly because the interface is terrible.

It'll be interesting to see what the Bioware MMO is like because their track record with single player RPGs is outstanding. And I'm not just saying that because my brother works for them as a writer. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

KOTOR was great. Part 2 was fun, but yeah it was lacking alot. Mass Effect will be great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post

The development of this game is the most touted of any MMO that I've ever seen (within the industry itself). Granted, it's largely due to corporate secrecy, but the excitement generated by Bioware actually making an MMO is quite grand (even when no one knew what it was).

Remember, this game will be using the vaunted HeroEngine along with Perpetual's OGP. HeroEngine = :)

Since they 3rd partied the gaming platform through Perpetual, they dont have to worry about all that other crap like tracking, servers, billing, netcode, even chat. It's already in place.

The game is also in a basic sense, complete already (people HAVE been playing it). So, I'd expect extensive betas within a year from now... they've got plenty of time to polish it up.

Lastly, this is a billion dollar Indy (formerly) company we're talking about here (now that EA bought them). There's a LOT of money riding on this title. More money then there EVER has been. The fact that it's a Star Wars IP along with all of these facts I stated above, means it damned well better be the best MMO ever made.

They've made the right moves so far and they some of the best talent in the industry, and now the fattest wallets. I'd say the odds are in our favor for a wonderful game. (crosses fingers).

'08 will be the year of AoC and WAR. '09 will be the year of DORK! Star Trek and Star Wars... funny how those 2 IPs never die. They just keep being reinvented.

edit: this is assuming these rumors are true

Comment

I believe Star Gate is also in the works somewhere as well, but I never could get the interest to look up information for it.

A Star Wars MMORPG based around KOTOR has a very slim chance of success and only if Bioware plays all their cards right. Now that's not to mean it will automatically fail, its just that its more likely to fail than to succeed regardless of all the money and talent thrown behind it. Example: Everquest 2 which had the classic name of Everquest behind it.

What made KOTOR so great was that you, the player, could become a one of the elite Jedi and pretty much kick everyone else around due to the gap of power between the Jedi and the everyone else. Even the NPC companions that traveled with you became second rate to the 3 other jedi characters you acquired along the way. In an MMORPG they have two ways to address this as seen by SW:G.

1) Remove the option of becoming a Jedi or make it obscenely hard to do. See SW:G before the illfated patch.

2) Make the Jedi option avalible from the start and saturate the universe with these 'elite knights'. See SW:G after the illfated patch.

If they go with method one then it will feel more like Star Wars Galaxies Redux and less like KOTOR and if they go with method two people will feel sick over the saturation of Jedi and being noncannon. Example: The disgust you mentioned over Star Trek Online being based around single players in shuttle craft doing 'away missions' instead of large team controled Capital Ships.

If anything I think a MMORPG set around Jade Empire would have a greater chance of success, but it seems to be a fad for every 2nd rate company to do a martial arts themed MMORPG right now I believe (9 dragons, 12 sky, and HEROO).
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Something about this I find sad. I dont know if it's just me, but I've tried to play a lot of Star-Wars based games, and they're usually pretty poor.

I'm not sure why either, the StarWars setting is so cool and has so much potential, but the games just never seem to live up to it. I think the most fun i've had playing a starwars game is the fairly recent "StarWars Lego" games.

Though I am looking forward to the Starwars Wii game that will allow you to use the Wii-Mote like a lightsaber in multiplayer duels!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Humil View Post
                        Something about this I find sad. I dont know if it's just me, but I've tried to play a lot of Star-Wars based games, and they're usually pretty poor.

I'm not sure why either, the StarWars setting is so cool and has so much potential, but the games just never seem to live up to it. I think the most fun i've had playing a starwars game is the fairly recent "StarWars Lego" games.

Though I am looking forward to the Starwars Wii game that will allow you to use the Wii-Mote like a lightsaber in multiplayer duels!!!
                        Welcome to TG!

Comment

Flawless

Welp, here it is... looks like the leak was right (along with many informed gamer' speculations). It's gonna be gloat city for gaming-dorks all over the world.

Enjoy!
                          http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

I get chills thinking of the amounts of money that are being floated around with stuff like this - we're talking billions upon billions. Gaming has come a long way. Regardless, Bioware + Lucasarts = pure genius.

I wish Paramount had thought of the same thing :(

Comment

EA acquired bioware.. That's to bad :(

I will hope for a good mmo kotor universe.

- -

Comment

Time will only tell how this MMORPG pans out. Most RPGs are plagued with their inability to satisfy their established players while bringing in new players along with several other problems.

Before I start screaming up and down for joy, I want to see how the lightsaber combat gameplay works. If I don't like it, I may need to adjust myself or not consider the title worth my money.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X