True online warfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True online warfare

You know how most battlefield type games are capped at 64 player (32 per team). Have any of you guys thought about having it twice or maybe 4 times that amount. Imagine having 128 players to a side maybe even more than that. With connections and computers getting faster this might happen. What will you think of it when it happens.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: True online warfare

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
    You know how most battlefield type games are capped at 64 player (32 per team). Have any of you guys thought about having it twice or maybe 4 times that amount. Imagine having 128 players to a side maybe even more than that. With connections and computers getting faster this might happen. What will you think of it when it happens.
    This has already happened in several forms. The most appropriate would be World War II Online, where there are thousands of players in the same arena at the same time. Hundreds of units fighting in the same battle together.

Comment

Are there more recent versions of this type of game.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Didn't Joint Operation support 150 players on some servers?

Comment

No 120.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Planetscape was a MMOFPS with a futuristic spin was it not?

If you want a true online war then you'd best look into an MMO and work with something that way with thousands of players on each side.
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Planetside was a MMOFPS which may be what you were referring to. I played that a good deal back in the day and it was pretty fun, but lag and setting were a big factor in me dropping my sub.

I still think you could have a MMORPG/FPS hybrid. You have a 3rd person avatar driven experience in a "world" like world of warcraft, but when it comes to battles you switch to a FPS engine and play FPS in a controlled environment.

Comment

Planetsomething -.- Planetside sounds as good as the next guess.

Matrix Online did that. Things did not end so well with that game.

Also there was an RPG that did something similar for the Xbox that got ported over to the PC. Um...Sudeki. Interesting game really. Most of the time its 3rd person RPG, but the battles followed two different formats for the 2 characters. 2 were hack and slash melee types with 3rd person view and button mashing combinations while the other 2 were ranged types that used a first person view to shoot guns/magic staves.

Saddly the most impression that game left on me was the fact that the two female characters were polar opposites. One started out in what could be described as a skimpy bikini and as she upgraded armor covered more skin while the other had a skin tight one piece who upgraded armor by showing more skin.

Gotta please the Xbox playing demographic I suppose.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                  Planetside was a MMOFPS with a futuristic spin was it not?

If you want a true online war then you'd best look into an MMO and work with something that way with thousands of players on each side.
                  I too was going to mention Planetside.

The only issue is that the larger the player base you allow to be hosted on one server, the higher to cost is to run such a server (for both the hoster and the client). That's why in part, most ranked BF2142 servers cost $2 per slot and beyond (for 32 - 64 players). It is a very resource intensive game to host.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'd like to see a tabletop type game on the PC that supports thousands of simultaneous connections, put all the real calculations and number crunching on the network issues involved and offer a complex yet graphically toned down experience.
                    USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                      I'd like to see a tabletop type game on the PC that supports thousands of simultaneous connections, put all the real calculations and number crunching on the network issues involved and offer a complex yet graphically toned down experience.
                      That describes a MUD, but saddly they're going out of style since people these days don't like to read and they're not as pretty as simplier graphical games.

I remember The Eternal City, a MUD based in ancient Rome setting, would have occasional invasions from neighboring nations and barbarians. The Legion (PC guild created and organized by GMs originally then left to players) would muster and march out 100-200 strong and they'd duke it out outside the city with the invaders. Shield walls, spearmen, archers, swordsmen, and field medics would have to run here and there to hold the line. They'd settle into formations and go from contact to contact. Really a lot of fun even if its a bit hectic since everything is happening at once with text only.

Then there was Federation 1 while it was still with AOL that was advertised as a 'adult themed game' because it had a complicated economical system involving planetary management, stocks and bonds, commodities, cargo hauling, and other such. It was really interesting on the frountier if planet based guilds (you could create and manage your own planet BTW) would raid other planets and you'd have large space battles with ships ranging from Capital to stunt fighter sizes and classes.

Ah...the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                        That describes a MUD, but saddly they're going out of style since people these days don't like to read and they're not as pretty as simplier graphical games.
                        Aw come on, don't talk like that. I've still got fireclient installed!

I just, ah, don't have the attention span or the time to really get back into it.

c gas!

Comment

Are there any open source muds out there for me to stea.. look at source code?
                          USAR

Comment

I'm sure there are. If I remember correctly there were really only a handful of core 'engines' if you will. You can probably get your hands on that code easily enough as all of the active muds are modded versions of them.

Or just join a mud that is still active and try to get a hold of an admin/dev.

Comment

If you're really looking into MUDs then you should probably start here.

While the ranking aren't exactly a fool proof method to determine how good they are, it is a way to see how popular it is and the general population at any given time.

Example: TEC is on the list, but quite far from the top because they sold their soul to Skotos games and became Pay to Play for financial reasons. This limits the number of people who play it and thus puts it far from the top. On the flip side Achaea is like a Korean MMORPG in that it is free to play but you can purchase perks with real money. Since its free more people will play and it will get more votes from the players.

If you use the Info links you get a brief run down on the MUD itself including what kind of code it uses. Most of the good MUDs have custom codes that the developers tailored to the kind of game play they wanted, but a few use open source codes that they modify in order to fit their ideas.

Of course, this only covers the open MUDs. All underground MUDs are, as a rule, custom built by the designers to fit what they want to do with it. An example would be the complex crew system of the Star Trek MUD that a former clanmate directed me to where you use programs designed for MUD connections to enter an IP address and a password for your connection. Still, MUDs are the only place where you will have Aramada style space battles with capital ships crewed by 20-50 real live people each covering a seperate diagnostic and role sphere based on their duties on that ship.

MUDs may not be as pretty as the MMORPGs of today, but that lack of a graphical strength is made up with pure computational power. When you don't have to draw models and worry about movement, keeping everything looking the same, animations, and special affects you can pile more power into more detailed operations, actions, and including more people in the fun at the same time without getting laggy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X