No announcement yet.

Any full time Fire Fighters here at TG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any full time Fire Fighters here at TG?

Do we have any full time Fire Fighters here at TG? I'm exploring a career change and wanted to get some honest opinions about all aspects of the job.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Any full time Fire Fighters here at TG?

Did you see 'Dirty Jobs' last night? 'Firefighter' made it on the show..
    sigpic

Comment

I'm part-time now working for a small municipality. Does that count?
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

I too would like to hear from full time firefighters... Thanks.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

We used to have one, I think (Firemarshal) but he moved on to greener pastures.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Talk to Fanatik. He's been fighting fires for so long that he's almost ready to retire.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

There was someone that had their fire department logo as their avatar and share some video with us. I juct can't visualize the nick tho..
              sigpic

Comment

I'm going to be attempting to get into Cal-Fire full time here in March hopefully. Right now I'm a volunteer/paid call firefighter with the county but I'm switching careers as well. I'm not full time, I'm actually fairly new, but I'll offer my opinion based on what/who I know and what I've learned and learned from them:

A firefighter (At least with Cal-Fire) is a glorified janitor. If you're not training, you're cleaning. EVERYTHING. You're mopping the bay, the kitchen floor, the bathroom at your station. You're cleaning your engine after almost every call you go out on, whether it be a fire or a medical aid. You're cleaning your equipment, tools, and mowing the yard. Some people don't like that aspect of the job (which is about 70% I'd say). However, firefighters have tremendous pride in what they do and how they carry themselves. They know they represent their communities and are always sharp with the looks.

The other 30% is doing the dirt. I've been trained for first responder medical, and I have my firefighter 1, along with Hazmat Fro and confined space awareness certs. The calls I've been on are primarily medical aids; ie difficulty breathing, seizures, falls etc. Those aren't too bad. Typically the paramedics get there a little after I do so they would take over the scene & I would back them up. However, incidences like MVA's (motor vehicle accidents) require much more coordination between agencies. Those are probably the worst calls to go out on. You never know what you're going to see in a wreck. And I mean ANYTHING just about.

Actually fighting a fire is a rush. It's loud, chances are you won't be able to see much, especially in a structure fire, because you're on your hands and knees carrying a charged hose, and some sort of tool, an axe or pike pole, with smoke all around you. A wildfire can be just as intense from what I've heard, but I've yet to go out on one.

One thing to know is that fires are pretty few and far between. You're constantly training too. You need to keep up to date with all your certs and stuff like that. I've been told many times: high frequency (your medical aid type calls) = low risk (to your life & safety) low frequency = high risk. Keep that in mind if you decide to change careers. Good luck!!
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                  Do we have any full time Fire Fighters here at TG? I'm exploring a career change and wanted to get some honest opinions about all aspects of the job.
                  my dad was a fire fighter. he basically worked 4 days on and 4 days off. not a bad gig.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Your county or city should have a volunteer firefighter program. In Cali, it's pretty impressive with the amount of free training for volunteers, plus they get to go to all the same calls the full time firefighters get to go to. It's a good opportunity to really experience what being a firefighter is all about.

I was a U.S. Forest Service WildLand Firefighter and was assigned to an engine crew for 2 summers on a full-time basis (at least for about 4 months out of the year). Prior to being on an engine crew, I was working on a line crew the summer before. Both jobs were hard, fun, and boring at various times. Lot's of down time, and like Claw wrote, its clean clean and train when its down.

Unlike city firefighters, I was stationed out in the wilderness about 2 hours from the nearest town. We primarily responded to medical calls involving campers, hunters, loggers when we weren't sent to a fire. I did it while I was going to college, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The perks for a full time firefighter are the money is great, the chicks dig you, and the time off is cool (on for four then off for four depending on your station). The biggest drawback is that you might have some really aweful medical calls that may haunt you for a while. The worst are resonding to emergency calls involving childeren. But, check it out for yourself and voluteer (depending on where you're at you may still get paid per call). Other thing is that this career is pretty competitive, so being a volunteer is a good way for you to get your foot in the door. Sort of like an internship.

P.S. Talk to BigBill- here's a full time firefighter

Comment

I am a fulltime Firefighter in a busy city (20 YEARS)and I would be glad to give you any info that you need...

Comment

Originally posted by Fire488 View Post
                        I am a fulltime Firefighter in a busy city (20 YEARS)and I would be glad to give you any info that you need...
                        Ooh, I need some info!

Do cops often have to do your job for you while you watch?

:row__523: I've been waiting a while for an excuse to share this pic with TG!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post

A firefighter (At least with Cal-Fire) is a glorified janitor. If you're not training, you're cleaning. EVERYTHING. You're mopping the bay, the kitchen floor, the bathroom at your station. You're cleaning your engine after almost every call you go out on, whether it be a fire or a medical aid. You're cleaning your equipment, tools, and mowing the yard. Some people don't like that aspect of the job (which is about 70% I'd say).
                          So it is pretty much like the military? (Air Force anyway)
                          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Ooh, I need some info!

Do cops often have to do your job for you while you watch?

:row__523: I've been waiting a while for an excuse to share this pic with TG!
                            Is that CD himself...toting the hose??
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                              Is that CD himself...toting the hose??
                              Neg!

I'm fat, but not true donut-eater size like that deputy!

Yet...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X