You know you're getting older when...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you're getting older when...

... your favorite child hood toy celebrates its 25th anniversary. :row__628:

Re: You know you're getting older when...

... shows you used to watch on TV become Hollywood movies (Batman, Transformers, Charlie's Angels, Mission Impossible, Bewitched, etc.). I expect a G.I. Joe movie sometime within in the near future.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

OMG. I had every single one of those guys on the screen and so many more.

I saved up box-tops and whatever I had to to mail away for the special Cobra guy you couldn't get in stores. I clipped and saved every single character card and all the vehicle blueprint datasheets (those were so cool, marketing genius).

I'd spend hours setting them all up, posing them like stop-scene photographs at crucial moments in the story I was creating.

Especially Snake-Eyes and StormShadow having the Ultimate Ninja Battle while all the others stood in a ring around them watching. :row__572: Man, now there's a Robot Chicken episode I'd pay to see.

And now they're bringing them all back, just when my boys are the exact age I was... u r evil b cuz i haf2 buy em now i hat u

There goes my Tax return. Thanks a lot W6! :icon_mad:

:D
      sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

I wonder how Scarlett has held up over the years...apparently very well!
        LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by Axis of Eeevil View Post
          I saved up box-tops and whatever I had to to mail away for the special Cobra guy you couldn't get in stores.
          I did that too. I think that Mr. Chuckles (CIA guy in a Hawaiian shirt), William Refrigerater Perry, Sgt. Slaughter, and the hooded Cobra Commander were all mail-in promos that I got...

GungHo in his dress blues? Not sure if that was a mail-in or not, but I still have him!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
            ... shows you used to watch on TV become Hollywood movies (Batman, Transformers, Charlie's Angels, Mission Impossible, Bewitched, etc.). I expect a G.I. Joe movie sometime within in the near future.
            Your expectations will be met: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default....FAEBF95750D7E9

October 30, 2007
            Message to G.I Joe Fans

Hasbro’s G.I. Joe Team wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some of the facts regarding the G.I. Joe live-action movie that we are developing with Paramount Pictures.

First and foremost, we are not changing what the G.I. Joe brand is about. The name “G.I. Joe” will always be synonymous with bravery and heroism.

The G.I. Joe brand has enjoyed a successful 43-year history, spanning two key generations. The first was the line of 12-inch “realistic military” figures that were popular with kids in the 1960s and 1970s.

The second generation, was created in 1982, and is based on a cast of fictional heroes and villains that make up the “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra” fantasy. The premise of this fantasy is the story of the G.I. Joe team, led by Duke, and their “fight for freedom wherever there is trouble” against the evil Cobra Commander and his Cobra force. This storyline was an instant hit with kids in the early 1980s, spawning a highly popular 3-3/4-inch action figure line, comic book collection and animated series.

This movie will be a modern telling of the “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra” storyline and its compelling characters that Hasbro created 25 years ago. The G.I. Joe team will not be based in Brussels. Instead, they will be based out of the “Pit” as they were throughout the 1980s comic book series. And, in keeping with the G.I. Joe vs. Cobra fantasy, the movie will feature characters and locations from around the world. Duke, the lead character and head of the G.I. Joe team, will embody the values of bravery and heroism that the first generation of G.I. Joe figures established.

G.I. Joe is a very important property to Hasbro and we thank all of our fans for their enthusiasm. Without all of you, the brand would not be where it is today.

Thank you.

Comment

hooooooooooolyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy crap - all the cartoons are free online: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default....ainment/Videos

Comment

I am glad I grew up during the "Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" era:)

Hey Whiskey, I though you had Rocky and Bullwinkle growing up;)
                "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I feel so young now cuz i dont know about any of these things u guys are talking about! aha.
                  "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

This also brings me back to my CS:S day's when me and Atomic Dog would yell "COBRA!!" for no apparent reason.
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

You know you are getting old when you are in the toy store buying for the kiddies and you start buying the toys that you always wanted...my daughter cant figure out why she has a barbie and a Gi Joe (not ken)...some day that will all make sense to her...
                      sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Well, I played with these GI-Joe's. I had that tower!

So you are still relatively young Wiskey.
                        I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

... when adults you know can't remember the original version of a TV or movie remake. (For example, I watched the original Bionic Woman as a teen.)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://www.hasbro.com/monkeybartv/de...lect&game=2687 :D

Comment

wasn't really into G.I. Joe's that much. I had a couple but that was about it. I guess I could've been considered a LEGO Maniac. I had a majority of the Castle, Space and Pirate sets up until the early 90s. The only set I wish I had a chance to get was the Western sets, especially since I was into the Wild West when I was growing up.

You can check all the sets going back to 1961 HERE.

While we are getting all nostalgic, here are some other toys from my youth.

Brio
                              Playmobil

I'm glad my parents have kept all my old toys because my kids will most certainly be playing with them. While not considered old (24) I am old enough to have experience the most of the great toys of the late 70's, 80's and early 90s. I grew up with toy guns that looked like the real deal (minus the orange tip at the end of the barrel) and played war in the back woods. When playing outside, we were pretty much on our own until someone got hurt, we got hungry or the street lights came on. I really can't complain about my childhood, I had a great time.[/rant]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X