college hindering jobs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• college hindering jobs?

so i have roughly 1 semester left, im a animation major at UCF (3d cgi ect... not stop motion). I consider myself a pretty good cg artist, seem to be progressing at a good rate, learning quickly and absorbing as much as i can. But ive come to a point where my classes are so long and hard (thats what she said (office quote)) that getting a little job that pays min wage would only hinder my work to get a future job, and almost everything in the industry is a full time job where i wouldn't be able to graduate. I know i should sit it out but im so tired of being broke! i feel like i can contribute something to someone but i dont even know where to look, or if anyone would be willing to work around my hectic school shed.

well end rant... thanks for reading i bet some people are in the same predicament as me

and if anyone has any suggestions or openings :D please let me know

-MAV
    lTG-6thlMavrok

Re: college hindering jobs?

Originally posted by Mavrok View Post
    so long and hard (thats what she said (office quote)) -MAV
    My man!! [Jim Look :row__632:]

Comment

Lighten your schedule a bit next semester and make it up during the summer or next fall. Paying off student loans for 30 years isn't going to make life easy, regardless of what kind of job you get. It's definitely a good idea to work while going to school to avoid debt.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Theres always the giggalo route.
        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

College is the time of suffering. You are sacrificing now to better your future life.

I would suggest taking fewer classes and getting an internship even if it pays nothing. That internship looks really good on your resume and can increase your initial pay significantly. Plus during the internship you get to meet and impress people in the field. It isn't what you know, it is who you know.

I know being broke now sucks. Struggling the rest of your life with a spouse and a couple of kids depending on you sucks much, much harder.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Werd, yo.

My suggestion is to try to find a job on campus, even if it's not in your department. There are often non-work study jobs available that will keep you close to classes and where your bosses understand your situation enough to be flexible. Might not pay much, but if you can manage to land a job where your boss will let you study/work on projects while you're on the clock (which is more likely to be found on campus), more power to you.

Everybody tells me experience is key in getting a job, so even if you can't handle a full-time position with school, try to get involved through school exhibitions or competitions to have something on your resume beyond what's in the curriculum.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
            TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
            ||

Comment

I was fortunate enough to land a job in the field I was planning on working in as a career my last 2 yrs of college. It definitely helped w/the billz and the experience, but working AND going to school is tough. My advice coming from a recent grad (Spring '06) would be to stick it out for that last semester, concentrate on your grades & focus on kicking that last semester's arse. It sucks being broke but I wouldn't recommend signing up for less classes just to work when you can suck it up for another semester, graduate, then find a job. College is a time of financial scarcity, why prolong it with a min. wage job? Finish up school, get that degree, and use the resources available to you on your campus/internet to help you find that job you've been looking for. 2 Semesters worth of work experience isn't worth 1 semester left to graduate IMO. Good luck!!
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                It sucks being broke but I wouldn't recommend signing up for less classes just to work when you can suck it up for another semester, graduate, then find a job.
                Yeah, I just noticed that he's a SM. I think his definition of broke is a bit different than what I was thinking.

Not being able to buy the latest video card to run the latest game isn't broke. Not being able to buy food for the rest of the week is broke.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Grande is right. It's college- you're supposed to work IN YOUR CLASSES now. It'll get better- you know it will- so don't worry now.

Also, if you can afford to pay $10 a month for a reserved slot/forums, you're not what I would call broke. :D

I got my undergrad degree with exactly $0 in debt. It was HARD. Merit scholarships, working to get money for rent, literally selling plasma to pay for food- and I was Pre-Med, so it certainly wasn't easy- but graduated in '06. It's very doable, though. Now I'm in medical school. :P Trust me, you'll be fine. Stick with the classes- the work can wait for later.
                  Last edited by Doktor Goku; 11-09-2007, 09:03 PM. Reason: clarification (IN YOUR CLASSES)
                  ---------------
                  Doc-in-training

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Yeah, I just noticed that he's a SM. I think his definition of broke is a bit different than what I was thinking.

Not being able to buy the latest video card to run the latest game isn't broke. Not being able to buy food for the rest of the week is broke.
                    Good catch. I remember selling a couple CD's to buy some bread and peanut butter. Lasted me for almost a week.

I have hired a few people coming out of college.

The thing is I don't know if the person is actually willing to actually work and learn. If the grades are decent then at least the ability to learn is displayed. Many come out of college with a sense of entitlement.

We interviewed for a junior programmer. One guy had A's across the board. Honer roles out the but yada yada. Another guy had A's B's and C's but also worked part time AND had a six month internship at a semi-related field.

We hired guy two.

If you can't get or handle a job ask your professors if they have any projects you can help with. Anything like that. What you want is to be able to point to something that shows you have a work ethic and have contacts that can vouch for you. All the smarts in the world are absolutely worthless if the person doesn't want to work.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Agreed. When I'm looking at resumes for software guys I look not at guys who depend on their classes but the ones who'll go digging into the manuals and then fight their way through the support groups and the source code for answers. That's the stuff you don't learn in classes.

I'm wondering how that would apply to a CGI person? If you were hiring for Lucas, what would you look for?
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

i just came into some money, i got my security deposit back. 8.50 isnt to bad, im usally budgeted to about 300 amonth...

in cgi field, your portfolio does the talking, if your work isnt top notch its very rare that you will get a job in a big name studio
                        lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Work for Convergys in Lake Mary, they can give you all kinds of weird hours... thats what I did while at UCF.

Comment

never herd of convergys, what did u study at ucf
                            lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

My university has a co-op option which is basically you have work semesters mixed in with school semesters. While on co-op you work full time contract and get paid slightly below entry level pay. Good thing is you stay a full time student and don't have to pay tuition fees while on a work term (I have to pay a small $300 fee per term).

Preaty good for getting cash and experience in your degree's field.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X