handheld gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handheld gaming

How many of you play the current line of handheld games? I have a ds and a psp and I find them great. The ds has a touch screen and allows the ds and game boy advanced cartriges to be played, it can surfe the net if you have a game card, it allows voice over communication, and it can allow e-mail through certain games; the psp plays music,surfs the web, plays movies, can watch tv if you have that location free device, plays games of course, and it can evn update itself, allong with many other things. Funny thing is, people figured out how to control an Xbox 360 and install Windows95 on the hand held. :madsmile:

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: handheld gaming

PSP's game lineup leaves alot to be desired. The only good games I can think of is Lumines and this Gundam Strategy game. The problem can best be sumed up as this. I go to any store and I have problems finding 3 PSP games I would buy. I look at the DS and I have no problem finding 5+ games I want to buy. Off the top of my head SD Gundam G Generation Portable and Tales of Phantasia are the only games I can think of that I would buy. Both of them being Japanese imports.

My PSP story is that I found out one day that this game Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed was going to be released on the PSP. It is a turned based Gundam strategy game and I have wanted to play it since I first heard about it. (Game has been on the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and PSP) Now the PSP is region free for games unless the devs lock it (thus far I only know of Rockstar that does that.) so I figured hey let me get a PSP. The game was 70 dollars and the PSP was 250 dollars. Alot to play one game which has disappointed me alot but I think Tales of Phantasia and SD Gundam G Gen will help.

Yes I still have only one PSP game and I have had it since August of last year and I have no current plans to buy any other games. Now compare that to my DS which I have no less then 10 games for already.

PSP positives:
    Screen. (Very nice and widescreen too.)
    Games. (If you like console ports.)
    Watching videos. (Because of nice screen)
    PS2 like graphics (keyword like but better then a DS by a long shot)
    Firmware updates (bad for homebrew software but you do get added feature like WMA/WAV support)
    Looks sexy.

PSP negatives:
    lower battery life then the DS. (DS Lite has an extra hour if I remember correctly over the regular DS.)
    UMD movies suck/are being abandoned. (The new thing they are planning on doing is even worse.)
    Games. (Mostly console ports.)
    Higher price tag then the DS. (250 vs 129)
    Region locking. (Most games are region free but UMD movies aren't)
    Jack of all trades (can do music, video and games but while good at games is horrid compared to a Zen Vision M for music and video only advantage over a Zen Vision M is that it can play games and has a bigger screen/widescreen)
    Games cost more (50 dollars compared to the 20-35 DS games)

DS positives:
    Games (more quality titles)
    Can play GBA games. (Can't play GB and GBC games.)
    Cheaper. (129 vs 250)
    Longer battery life (DS Lite has an extra hour over the standerd DS)
    touch screen (a new innovation)
    DS Lite screens are lovely.
    Sturdier design (clam shell vs open face so you have to buy an accessory to protect the screen)
    DS Lite is sexy

DS negatives:
    Games (subjective after all)
    The standard DS is not that nice looking.
    The standard DS doesn't have screens as nice as a PSP/DS Lite (i have yet to see a DS lite in person but I know it has screens better then the standard DS)
    Using a standard DS hurts. (DS Lite fixes this)
    N64 like graphics
    No audio/video support

Alright that list is about as objective as I can make one. If I forgot anything I will add but this is generally the break down.

I vote for the DS get that and all the great games. If you need a list ask and I will post.

Edit: I forgot to mention both has online MP options and WiFi local gaming. Also the DS is completely region free and EU/Japanese/US games work.

I have Jump SuperStars (SSB for the DS with Shonen Jump characters) and SD Gundam G Generation DS. (I think I lost it though which is bad since it costs like 60 dollars)

I posted this before. I would also like to add that the PSP lineup is alot better since I posted this but I still feel the DS has the stronger line up. The PSP has also gotten a redesign as well.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I just went out and bought an Onyx DS Lite on Saturday. Brain Age is the only game I have for it so far, but I plan on sneaking some of my kid's games when I travel. I played New Super Mario Bros. multiplayer yesterday and it was pretty slick, although the game was kind of simple.

I would like to know how you can surf the web with the DS, as that would come in VERY handy while sitting in airports...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Web surfing on the DS requires the Opera browser cart.

I'm a pretty big fan of the DS. It suits my handheld gaming requirements more than a PSP. I just want something easy and quick to play. I'm not concerned about graphics. The DS has simple games that I can play in bed just before sleeping. It's not too bad for travelling since it has some pretty good games like Phoenix Wright and Zelda. Oh, you can't forget Tetris. I still like that game somehow...

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
          PSP's game lineup leaves alot to be desired. The only good games I can think of is Lumines and this Gundam Strategy game. The problem can best be sumed up as this. I go to any store and I have problems finding 3 PSP games I would buy.
          I bought the daxter PSP bundle this week for $200. The daxter game is decent but I'm not a big fan of "platformers" so I also picked up vice city stories and tekken 5 for $20 each. I have no issues with these being console ports since I don't have a PS2 and they run excellently on the handheld. I figure these titles will be plenty for the amount of time I'll be using the PSP. It's not like I'll be playing it at home.

A significant part of the reason for getting the PSP was for the wifi web browser, video player and music player. All of which work great.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a PSP just for that little joystick on the left side. That thing is SO COOL!
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I have a PSP. I really only use it to play SOCOM Fire Team Bravo 1 and 2. I have a lot of fun playing those games when I'm deployed somewhere.

I just bought a DS for my wife. It is still boxed since it is for Christmas. She wants to play the Brainage games.
              -Scott Tivari, Commando
              -Nick Tivari, Ranger
              (Tabula Rasa)

Comment

hey Dav, try the Tom Clancey : GRAW 2 AND Rainbow 6: Vegas for the PSP- I like them.

If anyone liked the classic Valkry Profile series or even the Final Fantasy series, there's games made for the PSP.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO BY A PSP, GET THE NEW VERSION! Seriously, the new one fixed the way the sound quality issue, the battery life (some what) and it is actualy slimmer and lighter.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I have a PSP but I don't play it that much. Typically, I'll use it on my lunch break at work if I remember to bring it along, and even in that case I'll play Daxter or Hotshots Golf. I don't spend too much money on PSP games.
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    hey Dav, try the Tom Clancey : GRAW 2 AND Rainbow 6: Vegas for the PSP- I like them.

If anyone liked the classic Valkry Profile series or even the Final Fantasy series, there's games made for the PSP.

IF ANYONE WANTS TO BY A PSP, GET THE NEW VERSION! Seriously, the new one fixed the way the sound quality issue, the battery life (some what) and it is actualy slimmer and lighter.
                    Hmm. I'll have to give them a look!

thanks for the info!!!!!
                    -Scott Tivari, Commando
                    -Nick Tivari, Ranger
                    (Tabula Rasa)

Comment

I have a PSP and I would recommend SOCOM Fireteam Bravo (I have only played FTB1) and Ace Combat X: skies of deception. That is a seriously great game, I love it soo much. If you have played advance wars on the DS, don't buy field commander expecting more of the same. It feels to much like a copy, sony trying to cash in on AWs success.

But buy Ace combat! (if you like unrealistic arcadey flying games that is)
                      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Since I wrote that I have added Super Robot MX Alpha to my list of PSP games. I plan on getting Final Fantasy Tactics at some point and maybe Jean D Arc.

I have no interest in the Stories games since I play GTA exclusively on the PC.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

hmmm, well if anyone likes armored core games, there is a game from the franchise that is purely for the arcade battle arena. I am a hardcore fan of the armord core series, so I love it.
                          If you love the Jack serries (well more or less the last two games) for the PS2, you will like Daxter; Daxter explains the time between Jack's capture and escape from the eyes of Daxter. If you you are a fan of Daxter, you should also look up Ratchet and Clank: 'Size Matters.'

Oh- yes, Socom: Fire Team Bravo2 has in game mic support. :) :madsmile:

Comment

This isn't necessarily a response to RGM, but he brought up a lot of points that are based more on preferences than fact (which isn't necessarily bad). I've got to jump in on this one simply for comparison/perspective.

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
                            PSP's game lineup leaves alot to be desired. The only good games I can think of is Lumines and this Gundam Strategy game. The problem can best be sumed up as this. I go to any store and I have problems finding 3 PSP games I would buy. I look at the DS and I have no problem finding 5+ games I want to buy. Off the top of my head SD Gundam G Generation Portable and Tales of Phantasia are the only games I can think of that I would buy. Both of them being Japanese imports.

My PSP story is that I found out one day that this game Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed was going to be released on the PSP. It is a turned based Gundam strategy game and I have wanted to play it since I first heard about it. (Game has been on the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and PSP) Now the PSP is region free for games unless the devs lock it (thus far I only know of Rockstar that does that.) so I figured hey let me get a PSP. The game was 70 dollars and the PSP was 250 dollars. Alot to play one game which has disappointed me alot but I think Tales of Phantasia and SD Gundam G Gen will help.

Yes I still have only one PSP game and I have had it since August of last year and I have no current plans to buy any other games. Now compare that to my DS which I have no less then 10 games for already.
                            I have a PSP and I love it. When I have looked at games I find myself hard pressed to find more than a couple Nintendo DS games that I would buy. I look at the games for the PSP and find plenty of them that I would like. I also find numerous games online that I can download and copy to my PSP and play. The very games that RGM likes are the ones that would bore me to tears, likewise, the stuff I like he probably has no interest in.

PSP positives:
                            Screen. (Very nice and widescreen too.)
                            Games. (If you like console ports.)
                            Watching videos. (Because of nice screen)
                            PS2 like graphics (keyword like but better then a DS by a long shot)
                            Firmware updates (bad for homebrew software but you do get added feature like WMA/WAV support)
                            Looks sexy.
                            I'm not sure what the deal with "console ports" is. The PSP is a portable console, so I don't see how cross-compiling software to work on another platform is a bad thing. It's not mandatory to have completely different titles between platforms. If I like a game on my console and want to play it on a portable device, what's the problem? There are also numerous games developed specifically for the PSP that are quite fun.

PSP negatives:
                            lower battery life then the DS. (DS Lite has an extra hour if I remember correctly over the regular DS.)
                            UMD movies suck/are being abandoned. (The new thing they are planning on doing is even worse.)
                            Games. (Mostly console ports.)
                            Higher price tag then the DS. (250 vs 129)
                            Region locking. (Most games are region free but UMD movies aren't)
                            Jack of all trades (can do music, video and games but while good at games is horrid compared to a Zen Vision M for music and video only advantage over a Zen Vision M is that it can play games and has a bigger screen/widescreen)
                            Games cost more (50 dollars compared to the 20-35 DS games)
                            On full brightness the DS Lite claims 5-8 hours battery life depending on the type of game activity. My PSP has easily lasted that long as well with full brightness. I use it primarily for travel so it gets used heavily on long flights and delays in the airports. I've never had it die on me due to the battery running out and that's after watching two full movies, checking my e-mail over the 802.11 wifi and playing quite a lot of Twisted Metal.

The region locking does suck. I have a few UMD movies that I can't use because they are from the UK. Does anyone have a UK PSP and want some movies?

I don't know how it's "horrid" for music. Works great for me. I have no issues whatsoever with it for music and it allows me to carry ONE device to play music, games and watch movies. When the last Harry Potter book came out, Luna bought it for me on CD. I ripped it and copied it to my PSP and listened to the entire book during a trip out to California shortly thereafter. It worked great!

Yep. Games ARE more expensive. But you can get them considerably cheaper than $50. In fact, most games are between $19 and $39 with the majority being around $29 shortly after launch. You'll be hard pressed to find a PSP game for $50 unless you specifically shop for the most expensive store possible on purpose. Say a video game vending machine in an airport.

DS positives:
                            Games (more quality titles)
                            Can play GBA games. (Can't play GB and GBC games.)
                            Cheaper. (129 vs 250)
                            Longer battery life (DS Lite has an extra hour over the standerd DS)
                            touch screen (a new innovation)
                            DS Lite screens are lovely.
                            Sturdier design (clam shell vs open face so you have to buy an accessory to protect the screen)
                            DS Lite is sexy
                            DS does have more games. I'm not sure I would say they have more quality titles, personally I think the titles are of far lesser quality.

This is NOT the best comparison in the world, but lets just pull the top 10 DS games on Amazon: Brain Age 2 Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Brain Age New Super Mario Bros Flash Focus Mario Kart Disney's High School Musical: Making the Cut Hannah Montana: Music Jam Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga Pokemon Diamond

Top 10 PSP games on Amazon: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions Madden NFL 08 Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles Grant Theft Auto Liberty City Stories Silent Hill Origins Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops The Simpsons Game Daxter Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron Tekken - Dark Resurrection

When I look at the lineups of games between the two platforms, I just see a whole lot more for the PSP that I would enjoy. Stuff like Medal of Honor: Heroes, Warhammer 40k: Squad Command, Burnout Legends, etc...

In short, what you consider quality will vary from person to person. I see a lot of content for the DS for my 10 year old, but not for me personally.

DS negatives:
                            Games (subjective after all)
                            The standard DS is not that nice looking.
                            The standard DS doesn't have screens as nice as a PSP/DS Lite (i have yet to see a DS lite in person but I know it has screens better then the standard DS)
                            Using a standard DS hurts. (DS Lite fixes this)
                            N64 like graphics
                            No audio/video support
                            I pretty much agree with those negatives. I just don't see much in the DS Lite that makes me think it's a much better product than the DS.

Edit: I forgot to mention both has online MP options and WiFi local gaming. Also the DS is completely region free and EU/Japanese/US games work.

I posted this before. I would also like to add that the PSP lineup is alot better since I posted this but I still feel the DS has the stronger line up. The PSP has also gotten a redesign as well.
                            Region free is nice, but since I don't really have any interest in games imported from Japan and such, it wasn't any sort of real selling point with me.

I'm not sure about the DS, but with my PSP I also use the 802.11 wireless to get on the net and browse the web, check my e-mail, and with some software installed on the PSP you can even use normal IM type applications.

As for the new redesign on the PSP. I dislike it. I like the video out function of the new PSP, but I don't like the mechanism for loading the UMD discs on the new one and overall don't feel that it has the same level of quality as the original PSP.

Amazon shows pricing for the PSP 2000 at $169 and the Nintendo DS Lite at $129.

[media]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y9GAQ4MZL._AA280_.jpg[/media][media]http://techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/sony_psp.jpg[/media]
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The only reason I see someone getting a PSP is to play Manhunt 2 in it's uncensored glory.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X