X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trends in Online Gaming

Check out this link.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

It's interesting that one of the oldest games on the list is always at the top. What is it about CS that gives it so much long term playability? Battlefield 2 has always been #3. It reached 50k players and has slowly declined to around 20k during peak times. BF2142 has been falling recently. It was right behind BF2 for a while. Now its getting beat by two older games (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Call of Duty 2) and the new Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. ET:QW moved up the list fast but still has not overtaken is older and free predecessor.

Crysis has made it's debut. It's at 20 now. We'll see how high it goes.

According to game-monitor.com COD4 has about 30k players. I wonder why it's not on the Gamespy list.

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cod4

It's interesting stuff. Anyone have any predictions or comments on these links?

Re: Trends in Online Gaming

well, you have to remember that its not just CS. It's half-life, which includes CS, DOD, NS, TFC, and about a million other mods.

Comment

You can click on the Half Life link and see a breakdown. Of the 122k HL players about 99k are CS.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=15&s=1

Comment

mod abilitly thats the key to any game. Sure the battlefield series is mod able, but its rough, and you can only mod some much for each series then its done. HL they pretty much tell you how to do it and encourage it. OFP last so long because they made some amazing mods for it and continue to.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

This doesn't take into console numbers, it's purely PC based.
          USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
            This doesn't take into console numbers, it's purely PC based.
            I don't think so.

"Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2)" is listed at number 40.

Comment

Well, I see halo on there, but not halo2 or halo 3, so i'd tend to agree. and it only says theres 3000 people playing halo. On my 360, it shows 29344 people playing RANKED halo 3 matches atm, god knows how many there are playing unranked on top of that. so while it may show some console games, it obviously left out quite a few.

Comment

It only shows games that work with Gamespy technology.
                Maybe Halo uses Gamespy and Halo 2+ uses Microsot Live for playing online?
                former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

The original counterstrike's high playerbase seems to be because its the top game in China or something....surely due to economic factors. At least 75% of the servers in this list are from there and there is a ton of players.

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=cstrike
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I think it's 2 reasons: mod ability and economic/PC hardware. FBmantis is probably on to something with China, I went to Shanghai and went to a few internet joints, and saw a lot of people playing CS.

Almost any computer now can run CS, so a kid without much money can get a budget system and run other games like crap or CS fast and smooth. Laptops are usually crap for gaming but can run CS too. Or at internet cafes, the PC may not be the best gaming system but can still run CS.

Comment

Yup. That's a huge factor. I have a pretty good computer, but BF2 hogs up so much of my resources that I usually have to shut all other programs down to run it smoothly. Where as with CS:S, I can have my internet browser up, Winamp, a paused DVD, instant messengers, etc. all at the same time, and STILL run CS:S at max res and 120 fps. That's some dang fine programming. Anybody's computer can run it, and run it well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE BF2, but I can't even get it to run on my new widescreen, their patches are a pain, you have to re-install new mods everytime a new patch comes out. EA is just plain bad. They need to look at Steam as a role-model...seriously.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Source engine is a great engine for scaling abilities. I remember when CSS first came out and all I had a GeforceFX 5600 256mb card, and it ran almost high settings and was getting good fps. Also everyone knows how the FX series were a flop.

Comment

I'd have to agree with gator. I was literally one of the first people to start playing CS because one of the original mappers lived on my floor at CU (thats right, you will all fear me and my 3 digit wonid...if you dont know what a wonid is when it comes to CS, you're not old enough to be reading this). I played the game smooth as silk on a 667mhz processor with 128 mb SDRAM and a GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI card. That setup cost me roughly a grand at the end of high school. The same system would cost you about 100 bucks today, if you could even find all the components. Bottom line is that you'd have to try very hard to build a system that is incapable of running it these days.

Needless to say, the game has retained its playability largely due to nostalgia over here and the breakout of technology to the public in places like china. It'll probably retain that trend for a few years, and then it will slowly die off just as it has largely here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            (thats right, you will all fear me and my 3 digit wonid...if you dont know what a wonid is when it comes to CS, you're not old enough to be reading this)
                            3 digit high five! Tho I was never a big CS fan, preferred TFC and then Natural Selection.

The stats are also skewed in that I bet they can't differentiate between Bots and live players. I know that at least with TFC, the vast majority of "players" towards the advent of TF2 were almost all bots. I would imagine that has been largely the case with just CS too.
                            I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X