How did my bullet end up here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did my bullet end up here?

About a month ago I was doing some target practice with my Glock 22. I shot around 120 rounds. When I was picking up my brass, I found one of my fired rounds a few feet to my right mixed in with the brass. It was my Uncle’s property. He does not own a .40cal weapon. The round was in near flawless condition. There was one small nick or rub on the side of the tip. It had striations on the side of it as well.

How did it get back there in such good condition? I was shooting at paper taped to plywood. There was no “back stop”, just woods with 4 to 5in trees in the area. There were a lot of rocks on the ground. If it makes a difference, the ammo was some kind of cheap brand like Wolf. I can see it hitting a rock and bouncing back but then wouldn’t it be much more deformed? Has anyone had this happen before?
    |TG| Yanu - Bad handwriting since the 8th grade.

Re: How did my bullet end up here?

me thinks this will be a mystery forever. never seen this before, even after thousands of rounds

Comment

How far away were your targets and/or the trees behind your targets?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Believe it or not, I have seen this a couple of times. Normally I see it at the indoor ranges as work, but I have seen it outside as well. Basically what Cing is eluding to is that depending on what is behind the target, you can have the round "bounce" back from a the point of impact. If what you are shooting at is possibly soft enough, there can have a round tumble back that has no deformation. I would not panic, there is no kinetic energy on the round when it does it. I normally have seen this with larger caliber pistol round like the .45, a slower moving bullet.

BTW, Wolf is not bad ammo it is simple meant for people who do not reload..
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
          BTW, Wolf is not bad ammo it is simple meant for people who do not reload..
          It is horribly dirty and the steel cases can supposedly damage some extracters.

I've never seen any damage to anything, and when I went through a few boxes of Wolf on my friend's AR, it was a LOT dirtier than I've ever seen with American ammo.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I saw this once with a 22 LR. We where shooting at turtles in the water amongst many small mostly submerged trees. After one shot the guy I was with said "owe" and scratched his head and heard a slight thump in the sand. A basically intact bullet was laying there.

We figured with the water and small trees it did a very strange ricochet.

Another time I was shooting at a squirrel. I hit a very small twig and it deflected it at least 10 feet from where I was shooting.

They can do strange things at times.
            I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              It is horribly dirty and the steel cases can supposedly damage some extracters.

I've never seen any damage to anything, and when I went through a few boxes of Wolf on my friend's AR, it was a LOT dirtier than I've ever seen with American ammo.
              I agree it is not the best nor would I use it. Just saying it is not bad. I only use BlackHills or Hornaday for my rifles.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X