I may have to quit gaming...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may have to quit gaming...

Last night, after playing a few rounds of Project Reality during the password session, I went to bed and had a pretty nasty dream. Someone was attacking me with a shotgun, so I grappled him to the ground and started wrestling him for the weapon. I was awakened my my wife yelling that I was kicking the crap out of her! :icon_eek: We sometimes thrash about a bit while sleeping - I've gotten kneed in the groin and elbowed in the face - but this was different.

Two specific things were scary about this incident. One, I've always been interested in dream and sleep research (not symbolism or analysis, but physiology) and some ten years ago as a writing exercise developed a movie screenplay about a young man who accidentally kills his girlfriend in his sleep while dreaming about being attacked by a cop. Two, she's six months pregnant and I'm just glad I was kicking her legs and not doing anything else!

On second thought, I don't want to give up the game. Maybe we'll just switch to separate beds...we do both like to sprawl out a lot.
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: I may have to quit gaming...

Dude, I told you that a twin size bed was too small for two grown adults to sleep in, especially with her being preggo and all. Honestly though, if all else fails, you can always have her handcuff you before you go to sleep every night...that too has interesting possibilities. :icon26:

Comment

Don't worry, just mention the word "weight" (talk about sending a package to someone for Christmas) and you'll receive three months of couch time. Then the squirt will emerge and by the time you sleep again, in about three and a half years, you'll be too tired to twitch.

Comment

Yeah, seems like the best time to get gaming in is now. When the kid comes, you'll be too busy to get in a round of PR.

Oh, you don't have to sleep in a different bed. Get her to strap you down every night. Maybe you'll even like it. ;)

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have often noticed how I will have disruptive dreams if I've done an evening of heavy gaming and gone to bed within a few hours of finishing. I think it's a good idea to stop gaming at least a few hours before bedtime, and do something especially relaxing in the meantime to unwind.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I recommend some wii zelda fishing to unwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
              I think it's a good idea to stop gaming at least a few hours before bedtime, and do something especially relaxing in the meantime to unwind.
              That's funny. This is what I do to unwind. I sleep more solid after a rousing gaming session.

Of course, it could be that by the time I stop playing its after midnight. :row__690:

Comment

I have often noticed how I will have disruptive dreams if I've done an evening of heavy gaming and gone to bed within a few hours of finishing. I think it's a good idea to stop gaming at least a few hours before bedtime, and do something especially relaxing in the meantime to unwind.
                I think the same could be said about anything.

I remember watching Event Horizon at about 2am in the morning one Saturday night. Whereas, the movie itself didn't scare me, I turned off the TV and went to sleep right afterwards. I woke up at 4am covered in sweat and scared as Hell.

Tempus gives good advice: don't cut your night off with anything too stimulating...well... there's certain stimulating things I like to do before before bed, but that's beside the point.

It's not the gaming that's really an issue, it's that you're possibly still excited mentally and physically right before you try and get your brain to shut down for the night. The method of this excitement is unimportant. Find something to wind yourself down before bed. I generally do this by watching some "lite" TV before bed. With Adult Swim, I can generally go to bed while watching comedy shows like Family Guy or Futurama. No real bad dreams to be had there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                  I remember watching Event Horizon at about 2am in the morning one Saturday night. Whereas, the movie itself didn't scare me, I turned off the TV and went to sleep right afterwards. I woke up at 4am covered in sweat and scared as Hell.
                  One of the few movies to give me the heebejebies.

Honestly tho I can't remember having a true "Nightmare" for many years. I can recall dreaming about some pretty disturbing stuff (replays from horror movies, games), but nothing thats cause me to wake up wigged out.

I think I'm a little twisted that way.
                  I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                    It's not the gaming that's really an issue, it's that you're possibly still excited mentally and physically right before you try and get your brain to shut down for the night. The method of this excitement is unimportant. Find something to wind yourself down before bed. I generally do this by watching some "lite" TV before bed. With Adult Swim, I can generally go to bed while watching comedy shows like Family Guy or Futurama. No real bad dreams to be had there.
                    Last night my wife fell asleep with Meet Joe Black playing in the bedroom. Now I like Claire Forlani's ass as much as anyone else but I had to switch to Futureweapons to get to sleep. At least there was no physical harm done this time!
                    |TG-6th|Belhade
                    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Belhade, you reminded me about this thread from Backlash :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                        Dude, I told you that a twin size bed was too small for two grown adults to sleep in, especially with her being preggo and all. Honestly though, if all else fails, you can always have her handcuff you before you go to sleep every night...that too has interesting possibilities. :icon26:
                        Why in the goodness are you sleeping on a twin size mattress?! Good god man, get a queen size! No wonder you got groin'd by your wife. :row__593:

I second the idea for restraints while you sleep! :D
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Augustus Gloop View Post
                          I recommend some wii zelda fishing to unwind.
                          Amen to that

|TG-Irr|JamesTerror

Comment

The "restraining you with handcuffs" gets a thumbs up from me! Probably your wife too! Woohoo! And I completely mean that in all the wrong ways :icon26:
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Amen to that.. exactly what I do, esp. if I've taken the gaming deep into the night. Can't sleep anyway, too pumped up mentally to relax. I'll read or try to work some - that does it for me.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X