My dog...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog...

How concerned should I be that over the past year my dog has killed 2 rabbits and 2 possums? And that the 2 possums and 1 rabbit happened in the past three months? And the fact that my dog is getting better at it?
    USAR

Re: My dog...

Concerned? You ought to be proud! The only think my dog has caught lately has been a (very poisonous) Colorado River toad and an expensive trip to the emergency vet.

Just make sure it is up to date on rabies vaccinations.
    sigpic

Comment

you also might want to worry about his/her primal instincts taking over. Especially if he's tasting the blood or eating the animal. These can really turn their personality. If it doesn't matter then I don't see an issue just watch you don't tick him off. ;)

- -

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
        How concerned should I be that over the past year my dog has killed 2 rabbits and 2 possums? And that the 2 possums and 1 rabbit happened in the past three months? And the fact that my dog is getting better at it?
        I'm with Vulcan on this. My dogs aren't rural dogs, they're homebodies. I won't let them kill or eat ANY animals, as I don't want them to know that there's anything that tastes better than the food I serve them. Dogs can get VERY aggressive once they get a taste for blood.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You also need to be concerned about Rabies and other diseases that the dog can pick up through killing other animals. Other than that, I completely agree with vulcan and CD. I've seen animals turn bloodthirsty and it's not pretty.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I haven't allowed him to eat any of his kills (I always seem to catch him in the act, but too late to save his victim) and after the thing is dead he usually just trots around the yard with his trophy, showing it off and looking proud.

I'm just worried about small dogs making themselves look like food.
            USAR

Comment

Well, your dog should eat all the small dogs it sees for the good of humanity. It gives people who made terrible, sissy mistakes the chance to get a real dog.

That aside, if you pheer behavioral problems, consider where you've established them in your hierarchy. If they eat before you do at mealtime and rest on your furniture, then you'll probably run into an issue. If you keep your dog(s) where dogs belong you'll probably be fine. People have had hunting dogs forever, but they treat them as dogs and not as pets.

Have you bothered to punish the dog for its undesirable behavior? There's always something that will convey the message. For my dog, being excluded from the family members is enough to discourage behaviors; but then again, she's one of those smart dogs who understands English, spoken and spelled, and investigates where things like shoes and keys are at when she suspects someone might be going somewhere. A dumb dog will be harder to train. If you do not show the dog that your happiness is your dog's primary concern, and that ripping critters apart does not make you happy, he's going to continue having fun.

Comment

IS it a hunting breed by chance?
                sigpic

Comment

He's a shepherd mix. I think there's some pit bull in him, plus other spices.

Here's a younger pic of him:
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/photopo...to/106/cat/508
                  USAR

Comment

Yeah.. I'd be a little concerned.
                    sigpic

Comment

There is the disease thing to be worried about. There is also the poison thing. Depending where you live he might get ahold of a animal recently poisoned. This killed one of my dogs.

You live near any farms? If the dog decides to go after a farmers animal it might end up being shot.

Of course it might some day tear into something it can't handle. A big raccoon can do some very serious damage to even large dogs. Bobcats and other wild animals can be dangerous as well.

The whole "taste of blood" thing. I don't know about that whole idea. I do think they enjoy the sport involved. Would that turn into attacking a human? Don't think so. Growing up around dozens of dogs that routinely killed wild animals I never knew one that was mean because of it. Hell, I had a bichon frise (a little lap dog) that loved to kill moles, baby rabbits and other small animals. And would do a good job and eating them (like the guts mainly). Never affected her disposition in the least.

So the main thing I would be worried about is the safety of your dog.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Never affected her disposition in the least.
                        Perhaps it didn't affect her disposition towards you, and with a little furry rat dog it might not matter as much, but if you have a real dog that decides he likes killing things and then he meets a Bichon Frise, well, bad things can happen quickly.

I've always had dogs and cats and just two weeks ago we were dogsitting for my sister in law for a week. They have a large chow mix that is just a big cuddly furball. He also likes to eat cats. Most of the time it was no problem, but every now and then a cat would scamper past him in such a way that he simply couldn't resist the instinct to chase the cat. We'd yell at him and he'd stop. He really is a good dog. Anyway, we didn't realize the extent of his desires until I was awakened one morning to the sound of my dog barking frenetically. This dog had chased one of our cats into my bathroom and had him cornered on the counter. I don't know whose blood it was, and I never found a scratch on anyone involved, but there was red splatter all over the bathroom. Freaked me the hell out. I don't know what I would've done to the dog if he had really hurt one of my animals.

Anyway, instinct is just something that can't be completely trained out of an animal. And once that instinct is awakened, it will only get stronger, never weaker.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          Perhaps it didn't affect her disposition towards you, and with a little furry rat dog it might not matter as much, but if you have a real dog that decides he likes killing things and then he meets a Bichon Frise, well, bad things can happen quickly.

I've always had dogs and cats and just two weeks ago we were dogsitting for my sister in law for a week. They have a large chow mix that is just a big cuddly furball. He also likes to eat cats. Most of the time it was no problem, but every now and then a cat would scamper past him in such a way that he simply couldn't resist the instinct to chase the cat. We'd yell at him and he'd stop. He really is a good dog. Anyway, we didn't realize the extent of his desires until I was awakened one morning to the sound of my dog barking frenetically. This dog had chased one of our cats into my bathroom and had him cornered on the counter. I don't know whose blood it was, and I never found a scratch on anyone involved, but there was red splatter all over the bathroom. Freaked me the hell out. I don't know what I would've done to the dog if he had really hurt one of my animals.

Anyway, instinct is just something that can't be completely trained out of an animal. And once that instinct is awakened, it will only get stronger, never weaker.
                          I just meant to say I don't think the instinct is for blood. I think the instinct is the actual hunting of other animals.

You are right about the possibility of attacking other pets. Like I said if you live in near a farm it might end up dead because it will go after a chicken or something.

As far as attacking other pets, sure. They are other animals. But if the dog is raised around other family pets I think the chances are small if even minimal training is employed.

My boyhood dog, Maud, a chow hated squirrels, skunks and other critters. Killed a few in her day. But we had three or four cats when we got her so she grew up around them. Never touched any of them.

Touching Holiday story.

One of our cats had kittens. Went in to look at them and all but two where gone. Looked around and couldn't find any of them. Then I saw Maud with one in her mouth running to my bed room. First thing we all thought was that she was eating them. (We did have one dog that liked to eat kittens in the past.)

Nope. Had them all in a corner on a blanket and was just trying to take care of them. We eventually had to move them all to my room and put the mother cat in there so Maud could look over them.

All I am saying is it is if a dog eats a dead animal or tastes blood doesn't mean that the dog is going to go mad. A dog that chases down critters does need to be watched but even a small amount of training will prevent it from attacking other pets or even things like chickens. And the jump from animals to being aggressive towards humans is HUGE.

I have been around too many dogs that killed, and ate their kill, but never posed a problem to any farm animals or other pets, let alone the humans.

Of course simply being against a family pet killing other animals is perfectly legitimate.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Most domestic animals speak roughly the same language of dominance and submission. Cats and dogs can learn to read each others languages so some dogs and cats get along together - some don't.

Dog vs. Squirrel is a game to the dog but the squirrel or 'possum doesn't know the rules. I bet if your dog met up with a boisterous enough little poodle, your dog might give submission signals to th' lil pooch.

I'd be concerned about kids that don't understand the language of your dog.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've heard that the "taste for blood" theory is just a myth. I'm not sure about it though. I heard that all normal dogs should have a predatory drive - that this is what makes them want to do things like chase tennis balls. But I'm not a dog trainer, so don't know, just something I think I heard once.
                              Last edited by Nikolas; 11-22-2007, 04:36 PM.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X