Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new T-giving day topic

I wiped out on my bike this morning.

Had T-giving at some friends tonight ; having nothing else to do, I walked over to MMH (Manatee Memorial Hospital) for some x-rays (got MRI’d instead). The new MMH is awesome – I was in and out in no time and they were pretty busy.

They couldn’t believe I just plain wiped out, 4 nurses, 2 doctors and a BPD officer thought it looked like I was hit by a car. Officer Dean went with me to the ‘crash site’ and filled out a public injury report. The city is probably going to pay for the costs related to the injury because an additional support on the tree I almost ran into wasn’t visible – even though I admitted I wasn’t looking, I saw the old supports and set up to minimize the impact, the new support was black nylon cord with the stakes pounded too low to be visible – that’s what caused the most problem.

The black nylon supports caught my front tire and yanked the wheel to the right (toward the tree) and caused the sudden stop with the handlebar right in my ribs as I went over the top of the bike and landed on the old 2x4 supports, landing parallel to the support with my hip on the support and back/shoulder on the strut.

SO – the end result FIVE fractures (definitely my record) and a messed up wrist. Three ribs, cracked hip and shoulder (middle clavicle). Considering it happened this morning and I went through the day, plus a hilarious t-day dinner that hurt every time I laughed – I feel fine and fell really good about my aging durability. It hurts to laugh, breath, lay down, burp, thankfully (it is thanksgiving after all) – fart is still OK.. so that is only 4 out of 5 things.. 5 out of 5 and that’d be a problem. It’s still not as bad a GOUT!
    sigpic

Re: A new T-giving day topic

Damn you!

Every time I begin seriously thinking about looking at getting my first bike, I hear a story like this.

Glad to hear you were able to eat turkey and walk to the hospital at your leisure. Take care of yourself now, though!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

that sucks! what kinda bike is/was it?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
        Hope you get better quick P.
        Last edited by Bc2ID; 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM.
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

let me get this straight..you wiped out on your bike...incurred 5 fractures....ate Dinner...lolled around...and then took yourself to the hospital at your leisure...

Who'd you have your Thanksgiving with...Chuck Norris and Rambo...or what?

J/K of course...glad you made it fairly unscathed.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Wow! I hope you're feeling better soon, P8triot. That sounds like a pretty nasty fall you took.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              Oops.. Guess I wasn't too clear.. It's OK Cing.. yer still good to go with your bike.. B2cid wasn't too far off.. it was a Schwinn Skyliner. Thats why they thought I was hit by a car - who could do that just tripping up on a bicycle? The Skyliner doesn't have a scratch on it.. go figger.

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              let me get this straight..you wiped out on your bike...incurred 5 fractures....ate Dinner...lolled around...and then took yourself to the hospital at your leisure...

Who'd you have your Thanksgiving with...Chuck Norris and Rambo...or what?
              I've never had much issue with pain, but after a car accident over 15 years ago.. it bothers me less, plus I knew there was really nothing they can do for the fractures I had - so why complain.

I had them make a temp hot-cast today that wraps around my right-side and about 3/4 of my torso and I can cinch it up with an ace for extra support. I call it my red-neck corset.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                Wow! I hope you're feeling better soon, P8riot. That sounds like a pretty nasty fall you took.
                Thanks bub. Yeah - My ex-wife saw me today, DANG she was nice to me after that.. asking to go grocery shopping and cook and stuff.. I don't think it looks THAT BAD?!
                sigpic

Comment

My kids learned to ride 2-wheelers over the summer, so I have 2 sets of training wheels available. I'll let them go for $2 each plus shipping... drop me a PM if you're interested, and specify "boy" or "girl" colors. :D

j/k... Glad you're ok.

Comment

Get well soon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed