Industrial Design Schools...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industrial Design Schools...

So im graduating in the spring, and its time to look at grad schools, so im looking for some good industrial design schools. Ive visited Scad and their facilities are amazing, at 60k a year they should be though! lol

does anyone have any recommendations? i have a safety school set up already so im lookin to aim for the stars here!

thanks

Mav
    lTG-6thlMavrok

Re: Industrial Design Schools...

Isn't it pretty late to be looking, if you are graduating in the spring and want to be competitive for positions at top programs? A lot of graduate school applications at top schools are due pretty early--Jan. 1st or 15th. And, many require or highly recommend GRE scores (some offer fellowships based on or partially on GRE scores). It's also going to take time to get faculty recommendations and to put together your portfolio.

You should also make sure you know all of the basic facts about the program. According to Scad's website, tuition for graduate students for one academic year is $24,840 (not $60k), which is typical for a private school. However, importantly, you shouldn't base any assessment of a department's facilities or strength on the cost of tuition. Public schools cost much less to attend, and aren't necessarily any worse than private schools. For instance, in my field, 7 of the top 15 departments are at public schools. But, nobody should seriously consider graduate school in my field if they don't have a fellowship, large scholarship, or other form of financial support that includes a tuition waiver. Generally, all the top programs in my field try to admit only students they will fund. I don't know what it's like in your field.

And, lastly, you should find out how schools are ranked in your field from a source that the programs in your field take as authoritative. For instance, in my field, we have the Philosophical Gourmet Rankings on which all of the top philosophy departments in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia are ranked: http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/overall.asp

A quick search on google suggests you ought to be looking at this: http://www.di.net/archschools/schools.html

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
      Isn't it pretty late to be looking, if you are graduating in the spring and want to be competitive for positions at top programs? A lot of graduate school applications at top schools are due pretty early--Jan. 1st or 15th. And, many require or highly recommend GRE scores (some offer fellowships based on or partially on GRE scores). It's also going to take time to get faculty recommendations and to put together your portfolio.

You should also make sure you know all of the basic facts about the program. According to Scad's website, tuition for graduate students for one academic year is $24,840 (not $60k), which is typical for a private school. However, importantly, you shouldn't base any assessment of a department's facilities or strength on the cost of tuition. Public schools cost much less to attend, and aren't necessarily any worse than private schools. For instance, in my field, 7 of the top 15 departments are at public schools. But, nobody should seriously consider graduate school in my field if they don't have a fellowship, large scholarship, or other form of financial support that includes a tuition waiver. Generally, all the top programs in my field try to admit only students they will fund. I don't know what it's like in your field.

And, lastly, you should find out how schools are ranked in your field from a source that the programs in your field take as authoritative. For instance, in my field, we have the Philosophical Gourmet Rankings on which all of the top philosophy departments in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia are ranked: http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/overall.asp

A quick search on google suggests you ought to be looking at this: http://www.di.net/archschools/schools.html
      thanks for the reply

although i was just asking for opinions of schools, i didn't plan on going to grad school until my father convinced me other wise. so my search starts late

ill have to check out the book at borders, if they haveit
      lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

holy crap, someone else that does ID. That is rare.

Ya SCAD has crazy awesome facilities, it makes me cry. Least compaired to our side room with tables that have been passed down from the Arch kiddies. Dunno only ID programs I know about are Tech, Alburn, and SCAD. All of which I consider to be decent.

Personally I think it more so what area of ID you want to focus your studies on, then pick a school off that. The work I have seen come out of SCAD is pretty, but dunno from a user/function stand point it is lacking. Just does not have that whole packaged feeling, so I mean if you want to be like karim rashid go to scad. Tech is kinda on the opposit end, having solid designs but lacking a polish. Alburn I would place somewhere in the middle. Of course this is mainly from looking at undergrad work, but I think it would reflect grad school a bit.

Only thing more I can comment on is that Techs program is kinda make shift, but has had some good professors (most of which are in the industry and working, then just teaching part time). So if you really want to learn, and dig for it, it can be great...but they are not going to hold your hand or guide you through it. Kinda up to you to ask your prof for the extra guidance you need. Where as SCAD and Alburn I imagine has a more rigid program set up. But Tech has won regionals for the past few years, I don't think that is because the program is stellar and produces all good students. It makes a huge range, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Only other schools I have heard of is carnigie, only because one of my prof was the dean of it for sometime. I would place it around the same standard as alburn, but dunno have not seen much work from it. Oh ya I worked with someone from Virgina Tech, who was pretty good...but dunno if that reflects the school.

But honestly I would not go to grad school right out of undergrad. I would spend a year or so working in ID, get a pretty feel for it and the direction you want to go. Because from working in design firms, school is nothing like the design world. Mainly that you have about 1/10th the time you did in school to complete projects.

Only other thing I can suggest is go to IDSA conference, since you mentioned SCAD I can only imagine you are in the SE. Forget when it is, but next one for the SE is in orlando...I will be there. It is a great place to meet people in ID, and really it is a small small field you'll get to know people quick. Also you get to see work from all the schools, so can see what you like and pick a program off that.

Oh ya one last thing I thought of, http://www.coroflot.com/ has a bunch of profolios and might mentions schools people went to. So you get to see each schools style.

But ya if you want to talk design more, e-mail or PM me.

Comment

great man thanks for the reply im in orlando now! you got me all excited

not in the bad way though lol
          lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...