Deer Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Season

If anyone cares to know my misfortune, Today I woke at 0430, headed to the woods with a friends rifle he wanted me to try, a nice 300 Win Mag with USMC spec sniper rounds. 190 grain Sierra boat tails, magnum primer, yada-yada. Rained, fog all day. I shot this deer up a hillside, and it ran AWAY!! I have not found him yet, A 300 Win Mag!! So, I asked my friend about the bullets and he forgot to tell me they are teflon coated, they passed right through. Followed the blood trail for an hour and a half...no deer and the rain continued. Field loads Tuesday.

Re: Deer Season

weird... why would sniper rounds be coated?

Comment

He tumbled them, I used the wrong box...My bad. He reloads his own.

Comment

Im just amazed I had a pass through, 3300 fps load, he should have atleast stumbled, coughed, something.

Comment

Are those the kind of rounds they call 'slap' rounds?
          playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
          I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

You mean: Saboted Light Armor Penetrator? No. These are just my friends loads, no tungstun. Although, I may experiement and see if these will suffice to do the job of that. Curious...

Comment

but what's the benefit of them being "non-stick"?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                but what's the benefit of them being "non-stick"?
                My guess would be either for passing through an object, lets say glass for instance, to hit a target. Or possibly multiple soft target penetration.
                Focused

Comment

They will indeed. They are also considered a poor mans "Body Armor" penetrating round. So, I was just fascinated by the fact that this animal was not killed by the energy potential behind this round, It passed throughthe deer, went through a 2" diameter tree root and made an 8" round X 1.5" deep exploded depression in the ground.

Comment

Well, as I've been told, a bullet that goes through is a bullet wasted. Thats because very little of the energy is expended unless the slug actually stops. We all know from car crashes or falling from really high, that its not how fast your going or how far you fall, its the sudden stop at the end that kills you. Exact same principle, in motion, with a bullet.
                    Focused

Comment

Where did you hit the deer?

Even if that bullet missed all the good stuff in the deer's chestand didn't hit bone, the temporary wound cavity made by the "bow wave" from the bullet should have mushed the lungs and made running away a little tricky..

.300 Win Mag is a lot of gun for white tail in dense woods...

Comment

Seriously. Next time be sure to bring the .470 Nitro Express or the .585 Nyati. :P

Comment

frontal chest shot, he ran away. followed blood for an hour, raining though and we lost the trail, I figured he would have atleast been dead from the shear shock of being hit by it.

Comment

I am going out this week to test out the 45-70 and Quigleys.

Comment

We had some pretty long shots we were attempting, hence the .300, it's a great rifle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X