Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert bus for hope

How awesome is this?
    Desert Bus is the best known mini game in the package, and was a featured part of Electronic Gaming Monthly’s preview. The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph, a feat that would take the player 8 hours of continuous play to complete, as the game cannot be paused.

The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other cars on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson—for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen over halfway through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.
    How long the team has to play Desert Bus is determined by the donations we receive. In order to reflect the increasing challenge as the marathon goes on, the donations required to add another hour increase geometrically every hour. We started at $1.00 for the first hour and go up by 7% every hour. 10 hours of busing cost $13.82, 20 hours cost $41.00, etc.

The donation total in the sidebar will be updated every couple of hours. Remember that LoadingReadyRun is paying for the PayPal service charges, so the entire amount of your donation will appear in the sidebar and be sent to Child’s Play.
    Website with live feeds.

Currently at $14,000 and 101 hours, with 72 completed, so 29 to go without new donations.

Re: Desert bus for hope

Can someone please explain why this is so mesmerizing?
    Focused

Comment

Kids! Enjoy a career in the exciting world of bus driving! Call now to reserve your spot in the DeVries school of commercial bus driving! :p

(I don't see airliner pilots having a much more interesting job, though. Once you've made a run a couple times, how interesting can it be?)
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I don't get it.
        sigpic

Comment

It's pathetic, but it's making money just like that one pixel for a dollar website. Viral capitalism.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Except that it's for a charity?

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
              Except that it's for a charity?
              Heh... I missed that part. But charity is very capitalistic! What is Child's Play?
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Site

In short the good people of Penny Arcade set up a charity to donate games and books and stuff to sick kids in hospitals.

Edit:
                Recent PA post about it.

Comment

Having actually played Desert Bus, and having been part of a team that made the 14 hour journey from LA to Las Vegas or whatever, these guys are really taking one for the team. Imagine a 14 hour drive in an old, empty bus. The road is absolutely straight, but the bus pulls slightly to the left. Imagine a drive where nothing happens except that a bug splatters on your windshield at about hour 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustus Gloop View Post
                    Having actually played Desert Bus, and having been part of a team that made the 14 hour journey from LA to Las Vegas or whatever, these guys are really taking one for the team. Imagine a 14 hour drive in an old, empty bus. The road is absolutely straight, but the bus pulls slightly to the left. Imagine a drive where nothing happens except that a bug splatters on your windshield at about hour 3.
                    I bet there was a fight over who got to drive during the bug splat. High fives all around!
                    I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

We didn't know when it would happen, just that it probably would. I think it happened while my gf was driving? She was a trooper, 3 hours by herself.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X