Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what was YOUR best/worst Game of the year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what was YOUR best/worst Game of the year?

As members of the Tactical Gamer content development team work hard in the background to put together the usual end of year articles, here is your chance to speak out...and answer a few questions... copy/paste the below questions with your answers underneath each... thx you...

1. What was, in your opinion the best PC game of the year, bar none, and why?

2. What was the best console game of the year, bar none, any console? (and if you don't have a console, don't answer.)

3. What was the worst or most over hyped PC game of the year, and why?

4. What was the worst, or most over hyped console game of the year, and why?

5. What are you most looking forward to in 2008, (game wise)?

6. Best Tactical Gamer moment you would like to share?

7. and worst, to be fair?

Thanks again...
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: So, what was YOUR best/worst Game of the year?

1. The Orange Box, if you can call it a single game. Why? You get 5 games for the price of 1. HL2 was one of the highest rated games ever, with it's episodic content it feels new each time. And with the constantly advancing source engine the game's get more beautiful each time. TF2 is a goldmine. Portal, although short, was a great game. I can't wait for good maps to get out.
    2. --
    3. Crysis. Just doesnt deliver. Not many here at TG really enjoy the multiplayer, and that's the real longevity. However, some mods look promising.
    4. Halo 3. Goes without explination. I've always been a halo fan, and I didn't buy a 360 just to play Halo 3. I beat the co-op a few times with friends, and played it LAN and online. It's just halo 2.5 to me. The story was alright, but it wasnt...interesting.
    5. Star Wars Force Unleashed.
    6. 6 TG guys outrunning 4 tanks and 2 apc's in a lone humvee over 1000+ m on Kashan Desert. We won the game, by capping out thier main.
    7. My honest opinion would start a flame war.
    Skud

Comment

- New to me this year ArmA: It is pretty much the game I have been looking for for a long time. Playing it with the TG guys is a major part of that, really good bunch of guys.

2. What was the best console game of the year, bar none, any console? (and if you don't have a console, don't answer.)
      - Whats a console? ;)

- Borrowed a copy of Cabelas Big Game Hunter 2007. It was on my computer for less then 24 hours and only that long because I had to go to work. Bullet drop from a .30-06 over 100 yards could be measured in feet :0

- see #2

- ArmA 2 and a system to run it.

- Clearing a city in ArmA on the new Evo Blue with the TG regulars. Intense.

- Arguing in the COD 4 forums ;)

Comment

1. Team Fortress 2. The game is just a blast, it looks awesome without over-taxing my otherwise meager system, is fast-paced with tremendous replay value.

2. I didn't buy any console games this year.

3. For me, the First Strike Mod. It's not a stand alone game, but I'm a big Star Wars fan and considering how bad it was compared to my expectations, it certainly was the biggest letdown.

4. I couldn't really comment, it would just be hearsay.

5. Battlefield 3 if it really exists.

6. The first time I played BF 2142 on the TG server and actually was in a squad as a medic keeping people alive when they needed it. It was a totally different experience from the pubs.

7. I wish I could say but I honestly don't. Except for maybe that I was wearing the Irr badge I didn't earn accidentally for a bit. Sorry.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

A) If it's one game released this year then I would have to say Team Fortress 2 (Orange Box I don't think would count cause its a compilation and not a game). It was the overall polish and high presentation along with well balanced play that surpasses every other I have played this year.

A) Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. Just a classic platformer.

A) Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. The hype killed this game. When it was announced everyone and their grandma jumped on the band wagon screaming "Quake Wars is going to own Battlefield. EA sucks Quake Wars is awesome". When it finally came out it was just so average. Nothing really special about it at all.

A) Halo 3 was very overhyped. I don't own a 360 nor have played the game but the amount of hype this game got was unreal. The local morning show in my area covered it, thats just crazy. Everyone I talk to who owns it says it wasn't that great either.

A) So far Frontline: Fuels of War (PC) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) are the only games I am really looking forward to.

A) When we in the 7th were in the TGL Battlefield 2142 competitive league, the amount of support we got from the community here was awesome. When our matches were shoutcasted (streamed on a website with commentary), people in TG made a Team Speak channel and watched it together, sent shout outs during the match, went out of there way to wish us luck/congratulate us. Its nice to know you have community support even when you are doing something outside of Tactical Gamer.

A) Some of the admin's stance and attitude towards some of the recent games that came out.

Comment

None. I felt all the ones that were released this year were very lopsided and lacked "fun" and longitivity of play in several areas.

Halo 3. I don't own the XBOX360, but have plenty of time to play it at the school's gaming lab. I was also a fan of Halo 1 and 2. The
            weapons, the feel of the game, and the storyline set it apart from most console games.

I feel Crysis falls into the category fairly well on its own. Beyond the fact that unless you have nice shiny new computers, you can't run this game to be even engaged by its graphics much less its storyline. It also gave me the impression that it is just a graphically souped up version of Far Cry. No real change in scenery (got real bored of Far Cry's scenery about 2/3 of the way through SP). Same jungle warfare.

Much for the same reasons that I said Halo 3 was the best, it is also the worse/most hyped up console game of this year. The storyline still leaves me with a lack of fulfillment. The increased action/fighting seems to have become detached from the storyline, which further alienated me and gave me a sense of CSS instead of a continuation of Halo 2. The primary assault rifle has completely lost its "weapon feel" and thereby has nerfed it in my opinion (I can't stand using it now).

Not Far Cry 2, that's for sure. It looks like a throw up between Sins of a Solar Empire (RTS) and Frontlines (FPS).

Surviving the my first week on the server and then becoming a SM and joining the 9th. :madsmile:

Dealing with and playing alongside the number of bunnyhoppers and suiciders on the 2142 Conquest server.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Its a toss up between the orange box's new content and CoD4. TF2 is just such a great laugh and so much fun, Ep. 2 was amazing, portal was astounding; then on the other hand, CoD4 is fantastic in almost all regards.

Don't have a "next-gen," console, but I played Halo 3 for like 20 mins and the multiplayer was really cool

Dear God Crysis, why did you end up sucking so bad? I had been following the game for almost two years, and it was sounding great. Turned out to be a really nice tech demo. The gameplay is mediocre, multiplayer is absolutely useless. Its a fun game that can be replayed, but didn't live up to its hype at all. The graphics really were quite amazing, but that doesn't make a game. They're planning on a trilogy, and for the 2nd one, they're working on making textures higher so its more photo-realistic. Ya, thats a fantastic idea...

Halo 3, in the short time I ended up playing it, I had fun, but the one death noise was really quite annoying.

Frontlines sounds like it could be fun, Obsidian Edge 2 hopefully turns out good.

Joining the 3rd, winning BFCL against the 7th, going out with an even w/l record in TGL, winning BFCL again. Organizing the Titan Scrims and seeing how much everyone loved them. Having people go out of their way to try and shoot me down when I'm in a gunship (changed camera angles and saw, no lie, 5 or more SAAW missiles flying after me).

Drama over the newer games in the last few months.

Comment

Team Fortress 2.

Valve delivered a lot and even with some decisions I felt weren't that great, I was left with an overall fun and balanced experience. It was worth the wait.

Oh, that's tough. It would be either Mass Effect or Rock Band. Yea, they're the newest, but my gaming career has been slow this year.

All in all, I'd have to say Rock Band wins because it's done an excellent job at bringing people together at my place for some co-op fun. Everyone enjoys playing it and the game was just designed right. There's really no flaws I could point out in the game that wouldn't be nitpicking.

Hard question as I haven't played a lot of bad games this year (mainly because I haven't bought any).

Since I really haven't played any "bad" PC games, I would have to say BioShock. While fun and engaging, it didn't live up anywhere NEAR to the overblown hype machine they put out there for it.

I would LOVE to say Halo 3 and I would if this was based solely on hype. But at least the game delivered in some areas.

No, the game would be Star Trek: Legacy. It was supposed to be this epic Star Trek game (however epic ST could be). Massive battles and a thrilling storyline. What we got was a few cameos by out of work ST actors and a lot of pain in the gameplay.

EDIT: I was wrong. I thought ST:L made the cut to 2007. It was actually December of 2006.

SO: Halo 3. It was a "run through" game. Run here, fight insanely hard enemies, run here, fight insanely easy enemies. Generally, it just was nowhere NEAR the game they promised and really doesn't even rate as a top 10 game on it's own. The game lives on hype and fanboys alone.

I have no idea... Gears of War 2?

Team Darwin, full of nothing but Natural Selection players, placing 2nd in the first TG PCS tournament. We had 7 guys who just knew what the others were thinking (generally) and worked together as one unit. We all won or lost on the backs of our teammates. There were no stand-outs in that group. We were just a bunch of guys there to game together in another venue and we ended up doing a lot better than even we expected.

My worst really wouldn't be appropriate to discuss, but let's go for a "Top 5."

I'll give you the link here.

Comment

Of the games I've purchased this year I'd have to say Team Fortress 2, runs well on my system and the classes balance each other nicely. It also rewards teamwork on several levels, with was a big plus for me.
                  Honorable Mentions include: Galactic Civilizations II and it's expansion. GCII has been a change of pace from all the fps I do, and has had good replayability. Portal, while short was also a innovative and enjoyable game.

Being that the only console I own is an NES:), I'll say.. Sudoku 2007. It's just neat to see home brew developers still release games for a system thats almost 25 years old.

Couple games come to mind far as over hyped, Bioshock and Crysis. Having an aging system makes these two seem even more over hyped; especially when the game play videos look nothing like what you have on your end because you had to turn settings down or off to run a decent frame rate.

I don't even own a xbox 360 and all the hype made we want to go buy halo 3 so I wouldn't miss out!

Looking forward to Spore. I have high hopes for this game. It seems like it will appeal to a wide range of people, my family included.

In the last six months I've only had the chance to do some ARMA for the most part. There's been some great co-op and TvT missions, with alot of teamwork and sportsmanship.

Gogeta's breakdancing.;)

Comment

1. What was, in your opinion the best PC game of the year, bar none, and why? Orange Box. TF is a pretty deep multiplayer game, and HL2 episode 2 was amazing, though a tad short.

3. What was the worst or most over hyped PC game of the year, and why? COD4. Its not bad by any means, but it certainly was overhyped. Its not pants droppingly amazing as some sites seemed to hint at.

5. What are you most looking forward to in 2008, (game wise)? The second STALKER game because they're making factions more important, which was what they missed in the first one, and Fuel of War because it looks like something that will replace BF2.

When the 7th was playing in the 2142 TGL league, we had a tough match vs RAW in Camp Gibralter. I think we lost the 1st round, but came back to win the second. Either way, we split the first two rounds. Round 3 determines the winner, and we are down about 14-4 with around 30 seconds left. As a realist I figured it was all over, but Tybalt (CO) told us to stack up at the slit in the wall. We ran through guns a blazing, killed all of them, and took the flag with one death. Taking the flag put bleed on them, and we won 3-0.

What was really cool was we had a drill in this map where we run through the slit with 2 LMGs firing at 3-5 of us with only defibs out. Idea of the drill is to force quick and instant revives in a messy situation, and it was the reason we were able to pull off that victory. Its like we knew we were going to be put in that situation.

Same league, we got jipped out of the 6 v 6 on a silly technicality. We would have played the best team in the tournament (who went on to win the whole thing) in the semis and I think we had a decent chance against them too. I also gotta agree with zoopy's unfortunately.

Comment

How does one play Orange Box? I could've sworn it was just a marketing package containing 3 distinct games. :P

Anyway:

1. What was, in your opinion the best PC game of the year, bar none, and why? It's a toss-up. Judging from my enjoyment, it's a close call between Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and Armed Assault. ArmA has given me some truly memorable MP moments, CoD4 was just a rollercoaster ride all the way through, and Crysis had some honest "holy crap!" moments that raised my eyebrows. Seems most of the complaints against Crysis are the system requirements, which is sort of like complaining that a Corvette C6-R sucks because you can't drive it. :P

2. What was the best console game of the year, bar none, any console? Mass Effect.

3. What was the worst or most over hyped PC game of the year, and why? Well, I don't think there are any truly crap over-hyped games. I will say that I don't get the hubbub over Team Fortress 2. The art style and mechanics were excellent, but I found the gameplay incredibly annoying. Just my opinion, of course, just as others thought Crysis was crap.

4. What was the worst, or most over hyped console game of the year, and why? Halo 3 wasn't worth any sort of special treatment. It was fun; it had exciting moments in the story and it was cool to see how the trilogy wrapped up. But the be-all-end-all of games? Hardly. Also, throw Assassin's Creed into this one. Man, that game turned out pretty horribly.

5. What are you most looking forward to in 2008, (game wise)? Armed Assault 2, maybe OFP 2 (depending on how CodeMasters does), Sins of the Solar Empire, Spore.

6. Best Tactical Gamer moment you would like to share? Sniping a Blackhawk pilot out of his bird in mid-flight in an ArmA TvT match.

7. and worst, to be fair? Complaining about one night in ArmA (both in-game and on the forums) where everyone had this crazy idea to not use NVGs. :P
                      Last edited by Gill; 11-30-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

1. What was, in your opinion the best PC game of the year, bar none, and why?Orange Box, without a doubt. If you're hung up on the fact that the retail package has more than one game, then flip a coin and choose between the innovation of Portal, and the amazing update of the first teamplay game, Team Fortress 2.

2. What was the best console game of the year, bar none, any console? (and if you don't have a console, don't answer.)Well, I'm going to have to go with Brain Age 2. The ability to play a game whenever (and wherever) you have two minutes to spare is fantastic.

3. What was the worst or most over hyped PC game of the year, and why?BioShock was absolutely the most over hyped game of the year. Every review site on earth gave it the highest ratings ever, but there's no way it even slightly compares to Half Life, much less Half Life 2. Heck, it can't even touch the combined arms of the BF series.

4. What was the worst, or most over hyped console game of the year, and why? I've never even played it, but I can still confidently say that Halo3 is the answer to this question. I do like Mountain Dew's Halo3 Gamer Fuel, though.

5. What are you most looking forward to in 2008, (game wise)?Spore and Starcraft2.

6. Best Tactical Gamer moment you would like to share?For the year, or all time? For the year, it would have to be seeing TG's squads kick butt in external scrims/tourneys.

Admin drama.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

@Fenix,
                          I agree ST:L was bad. Hell, I even own the PC version and it sucked.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

CoD4, love it. Rainbow 6 vegas was nice, but not as good as Call of Duty.

Lego Star Wars 2-the original trilogy (PS2) possibly even more fun than the first one!

For me, ArmA. Graphics weren't as good as expected.

Dunno.

Sins of a Solar Empire or Tom Clancy's Endwar. http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com http://endwargame.uk.ubi.com/

Just having a laugh on Project reality, maybe being in a 8-man squad with Topcat and Crawlingeye.

Some pretty bad experiences involving basecamping on PR.
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I think I may be biased with this answer (since I just got it and have been playing it a lot)... but I want to say The Witcher because it's a very dark and gritty RPG (both through storyline and characters). Choices seem to have a more natural effect on things... and the choices are rarely (if ever) so common as "This is the good choice, this is the evil choice".

This is probably the best part of The Witcher. While other RPGs will have you choose good or evil, with The Witcher, the lines are blurred, and it is up to the player to decide between right and wrong. The tagline on the back of the box reads “There is no good, no evil, only decisions and consequences”, and this is one of the few cases where the back of the box actually describes the game accurately.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2. Hands down, without a doubt.

The singleplayer was so enjoyable, I think I played through it twice on all difficulty settings:row__642:

The multiplayer was (and still is) very enjoyable. In fact, if you see me on XBOX live, I can almost guarantee I'm playing GRAW2. The Co-op missions are great, as is the AI (and, as most seem to completely ignore, you CAN actually recon before you attack!).

Bioshock. All the reasons stated above seem to fit what I felt. Good game.. but no where near as amazing as it sounded like it would be.

Not having played Halo 3, I can't say anything about it... but I've heard it came out pretty mediocre.

From what I've played, however, I'll have to say that Crackdown was a disappointment (although, I still enjoy it). They made it seem like there was so much more to the game, aside from being GTA at a super-cops vantage point when really, it was LESS than that.

The missions were tedious, unimpressive and plain old silly, as well was the story. Gameplay was great though, like I said, I still enjoy it. Great stress relief, being able to slap a few remote mines on a car, pick it up, carry it to a high point on the map and toss it on a large group of thugs, detonating the explosives while doing so. Mass destruction, woo!

... tough call. I'd say a four way split between Mafia II, GTA4, the next Splinter Cell game and the next installment of Ghost Recon.

Not to sound like a complete kiss-ass here; Think it was just you an I playing GRAW2 co-op elimination on that map with the downed transport plane. We had just made it to that little farm on the west (?) side of the map. I was providing overwatch as you moved in to sweep and clear the yard.

As this was happening, I was covering your blind corners and I think I managed to pick off a couple baddies. No later than we finished clearing this place out (with suppressed weapons) I believe it was you who saw the incoming patrol. I hunkered down and laid down some suppressing fire and kept them on their bellies. You hovered the UAV over them to confirm their location and numbers, then you tossed a grenade over the hill (or was it a fence? Either way, it was too dangerous to poke your head out to pop 'em, and I had nothing) that was obstructing your view of them. *THUP* patrol was wiped out.

That was nice.

Becoming an admin :row__642: (Sorry Bubba! Heh)
                              Last edited by Clodhopper; 12-02-2007, 02:28 AM. Reason: removed the {/quote} thing
                              -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X