Man Cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Cold

I think all men feel the same way when we have a cold, I am completely miserable and all i want to do is stand in the shower or sleep.

I think man stroke woman sums up how men feel when they are sick.
    Man Cold... Clicky

So, anyone have any homemade remedy's or advise for weathering the next few days?
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    --Douglas Adams

Re: Man Cold

AlkaSeltzer Cough and Cold gelcaps work well for me. They come in a purple box and are the most effective thing for cold symptoms that don't make me feel drugged.

Tylenol has a product with the same ingredients, but it just doesn't work as well for me... Maybe the gel is absorbed quicker or more efficiently?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Simple tips: take a multivitamin twice a day. I recommend GNC Mega Men (or Ultra Mega for women) due to the very high dosages of vitamins they contain compared to centrum or other brands. Make sure to keep yourself clean, dont skip showers (especially for all you college students who get lazy and just feel like sitting on the couch all day). Eat right for the winter months, avoid lots of fatty foods as they increase your body's retention of foreign substances like viruses and bacteria. Also, keep yourself properly clothed and hydrated.

That last one is a killer. People dont realize that dehydration occurs just as quickly when its cold as it does when its warm. In conjuction with this, when your body is at a loss for water, your immune system is effectively crippled. People think that bundling up helps, and thats dead wrong. You need to keep your heat centers, namely your head and torso warm, but not hot. Also, be sure to change clothes and drink lots of fluid regularly if you're out in the cold. You lose excessive amounts of water to sweat and you dont even realize it. It's the exact same effect as being out in the middle of the desert with the added bonus of being cold to hurt you that much more.

If you have a cold already, get lost of fluids and rest as much as possible. By rest, I dont mean lay on the couch and watch TV, i mean sleep. Sleep shuts down all of your body's ancillary functions and allows your immune system and metabolism to increase. Also, dont overmedicate yourself. Theres no such thing as being able to "nuke" a cold. It's just going to make your body less resistant to the virus in the long run. Rest, fluids and mild medication to manage symptoms are your best bet.

Bottom line is this: if you are in good health and take precautions, such as vitamins, appropriate amounts of rest, plenty of fluids and the proper clothing, you can be in a room full of sick people all day and not catch a thing. What gets you sick is being careless when you dont even know you are doing it.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly forum nurse. Yes, thats right, Ferris is a male nurse. Yuk it up fellas. But try to stay healthy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        Simple tips: take a multivitamin twice a day. I recommend GNC Mega Men (or Ultra Mega for women) due to the very high dosages of vitamins they contain compared to centrum or other brands. Make sure to keep yourself clean, dont skip showers (especially for all you college students who get lazy and just feel like sitting on the couch all day). Eat right for the winter months, avoid lots of fatty foods as they increase your body's retention of foreign substances like viruses and bacteria. Also, keep yourself properly clothed and hydrated.

That last one is a killer. People dont realize that dehydration occurs just as quickly when its cold as it does when its warm. In conjuction with this, when your body is at a loss for water, your immune system is effectively crippled. People think that bundling up helps, and thats dead wrong. You need to keep your heat centers, namely your head and torso warm, but not hot. Also, be sure to change clothes and drink lots of fluid regularly if you're out in the cold. You lose excessive amounts of water to sweat and you dont even realize it. It's the exact same effect as being out in the middle of the desert with the added bonus of being cold to hurt you that much more.

If you have a cold already, get lost of fluids and rest as much as possible. By rest, I dont mean lay on the couch and watch TV, i mean sleep. Sleep shuts down all of your body's ancillary functions and allows your immune system and metabolism to increase. Also, dont overmedicate yourself. Theres no such thing as being able to "nuke" a cold. It's just going to make your body less resistant to the virus in the long run. Rest, fluids and mild medication to manage symptoms are your best bet.

Bottom line is this: if you are in good health and take precautions, such as vitamins, appropriate amounts of rest, plenty of fluids and the proper clothing, you can be in a room full of sick people all day and not catch a thing. What gets you sick is being careless when you dont even know you are doing it.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly forum nurse. Yes, thats right, Ferris is a male nurse. Yuk it up fellas. But try to stay healthy too.
        This is all great advice. But I prefer whiskey. :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          AlkaSeltzer Cough and Cold gelcaps work well for me. They come in a purple box and are the most effective thing for cold symptoms that don't make me feel drugged.

Tylenol has a product with the same ingredients, but it just doesn't work as well for me... Maybe the gel is absorbed quicker or more efficiently?
          I second that. Alka Seltzer works like a charm. Just don't get the cherry flavor...it's UCK!
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the good info FB, and cing's gelcaps worked really well.
            Still sick.. but feeling much better.. thanks again for the replies!
            I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
            --Douglas Adams

Comment

Simple tips: take a multivitamin twice a day. I recommend GNC Mega Men (or Ultra Mega for women) due to the very high dosages of vitamins they contain compared to centrum or other brands.
              Also, dont overmedicate yourself. Theres no such thing as being able to "nuke" a cold. It's just going to make your body less resistant to the virus in the long run. Rest, fluids and mild medication to manage symptoms are your best bet.
              I find it funny that he contradicts himself in the same post. That's not to say FB is wrong. By all means follow his advice because its very good and sound advice. However do NOT overmedicate on vitamins. Make sure you read your vitamin supplements and check the dosage. Most multivitamins are 1 dose per day and taking 2 is going to do your body harm in the long run. If you take multiple supplements, again, check what the contents are and make sure you're not overlapping things to get too much. Vitamins are good, but like all good things you can get too much of it.

I perfer to stay away from medications for mild or weak symptoms because they could actually prolong the feeling of 'sickness' that you have. If you really need to take medications try to stick to as few meds as possible unless prescribed by a doctor or medical professional. If you feel the need to take multiple medications for multiple symptoms then DO YOUR RESEARCH and check whats in what you are taking. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the recent controversy over children's medicine and how parents were inadvertantly overmedicating their kids because ingredients were overlapped between them and they didn't notice. The same problem can occur with adults especially if you take two different medications for two different symptoms without realizing they both contain the same thing.

Example: NightQuil, DayQuil, Tylenol, and Excedrin all have Aceatominaphin and some suplements. The 'quils' are usually mixed with a cough supressent or nasal decongestant, Tylenol is straight with supplements depending on type, Excedrin is tylenol with caffine as an accellerant. The point is all have Aceatominaphin and you take too much you end up boxing your kidneys and liver.

Lastly, think happy thoughts. Its a very 'zen' saying but remember that "As the mind, so the body". If you think a medicine will work you can actually placebo yourself into making it work and vice versa. I'm sure everyone has been told by someone that they perfer X over Y because Y doesn't seem to work for them. Then you go back and check that X and Y are basically the same ingredients with different brands. That's the placebo affect working in reverse. Focus on getting better and you'll get better from most minor illnesses...or at least feel less craptastic while sick.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

To clarify: when I was saying not to overmedicate, I meant specifically the kinds of stuff that Tarenth was talking about with nyquil, tylenol, thera flu, etc. Vitamins are an entirely different story. The dosage recommended by GNC on the bottle is two caplets daily, and after having a conversation with one of the hospital's nutritionists, the high dosages of vitamins wont hurt you in the short term or long term unless you have organ dysfunction in your digestive tract (liver, kidneys, stomach, or intestines). You will, however, notice that your pee is bright yellow. Strange, but true. However, you can get too much of the vitamins as tarenth said, if you dont follow the dosages. Nothing in a multivitamin will seriously hurt you or cause you to go into toxic shock, but you will have adverse side effects like feeling like poo (malaise, mild nausea, headaches, etc) if you take too much.

Comment

What a relevant thread. I've been down with a wicked cold this week. I haven't been able to work the entire work. I was completely knocked out of commission from monday through wednesday, but I'm finally coming out of it. I've never had a cold so bad and never realized how wicked it could be. Is it normal for one to last a week?
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well the coloring in urine is the body removing excess water soluable vitamins I believe. You can actually turn your urine some pretty interesting colors by taking different vitamins, but I wouldn't suggest is since that would be taking it to toxic levels. If your GNC vitamins reccommends 2 doses a day then 2 doses is what you should be taking. However 2 doses of, say, Centrum would be like taking 4 doses of your GNC. So I guess we're both saying take whats needed and no more. ^_^

War, the only suggestion I would have is to nip illness when its early and don't let it dig in. The moment you start displaying symptoms of an illness your body has been invaded and the troops are marching to war. If you take things easy and treat yourself like you are really sick even if the worse your symptoms show are some sniffles then you'll beat the bug very quickly and be back to full health in no time. If you ignore the symptoms till things start to really affect you, then you've lost the initial battle, the bug has a foothold, and are going to be fighting a long campaign depending on what condition you've left yourself in.

Using a different analogy. Its cold outside and you start to feel chilled. If you go someplace warm and warm up the feeling will go away and you'll feel better. If you insist on standing out in the cold and damp until you feel sick you're going to be a lot longer in recovering.

Minor illnesses generally don't pounce on you from nowhere and floor you. They get really bad when we ignore the minor symptoms as inconviences until they pile up and bring us down. Even the common cold can kill you if you ignore it for long enough, but people are generally smart enough not to let it get that far.
                    My sanity is not in question...
                    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                      The moment you start displaying symptoms of an illness your body has been invaded and the troops are marching to war. If you take things easy and treat yourself like you are really sick even if the worse your symptoms show are some sniffles then you'll beat the bug very quickly and be back to full health in no time. If you ignore the symptoms till things start to really affect you, then you've lost the initial battle, the bug has a foothold, and are going to be fighting a long campaign depending on what condition you've left yourself in.
                      To that point ...

Originally posted by Encarta
                      Your own body causes cold symptoms. Once you've been infected with a cold virus, your capillaries swell to bring more blood to your nose, because blood is what gets the troops of the immune system to the battlefield. That's congestion. White blood cells come rushing to the site and try to engulf-and-digest or, as we humans put it, "eat" the viruses. That's inflammation. Your temperature rises because viruses can't thrive where it's too hot. That's fever. Your nose cells release histamines, which create mucus that traps the viruses before they can attach to your cells. That's your runny nose.
                      There is some good advice in there, even if it is from Microsoft. :row__523:

Comment

Watch out for vitamins with minerals. Too much iron will do damage, for example.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Nothing in a multivitamin will seriously hurt you or cause you to go into toxic shock, but you will have adverse side effects like feeling like poo (malaise, mild nausea, headaches, etc) if you take too much.
                          This is absolutely untrue! You can fatally OD on multivitamins, especially if they're high in iron. Definitely follow the directions or your doctor's orders.

Check this out: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002659.htm
                          Don't be taking your wife's pre-natal vitamins!!!

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                          If your GNC vitamins reccommends 2 doses a day then 2 doses is what you should be taking. However 2 doses of, say, Centrum would be like taking 4 doses of your GNC.
                          Also wrong. The GNC vitamins (I'll include minerals in that term, too) are a different formulation. With some vitamins (like C), your body will use as much as it needs and the rest is disposed of in your waste, just like with food and drink. (C is also one of the vitamins that will drastically change your urine color)

On the other hand, with other vitamins, your body will absorb them and therefore must process them. You can only take a certain amount of these per day.

So, the GNC vitamins might have twice as much C in them, but half as much iron, as compared to Centrum. There's a reason why there are so many different types of multivitamins.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Anybody ever try that Zicam to see if it really works? I had seen on TV once that some people can actually have bad side effects from it and one had a complete loss of smell cause the Zicam burnt out the nasal cavity or whatever that allows a person the ability to smell.
                            I was just wondering cause apparently they must have got it sorted out and thought that if it claims to do what it claims then Zicam is going to be a miracle for the comman cold.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              This is absolutely untrue! You can fatally OD on multivitamins, especially if they're high in iron. Definitely follow the directions or your doctor's orders.

Check this out: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002659.htm
                              Don't be taking your wife's pre-natal vitamins!!!
                              Of course you can fatally OD on vitamins, but seeing as this is a fairly intelligent community, I had assumed nobody would actually test this and take enough to OD. After reading your statement here CD, I took my own personal vitamins into the hospital today and had them analyzed by the nutritionist to see how many exactly you would have to take before you exhibited symptoms of toxicity. The first interaction with my vitamins is selenium toxicity, which would require you to take 6 vitamins in less than 12 hours to saturate your system to the level at which the body cannot maintain the binding capacity. The dosage is two in 24 hours. I highly doubt anyone reading this would think to themselves "hmm, if two is good, 10 is better", especially based on the very simple advice people have given here. My final statement in my previous post was meant to inform someone that might take 3 vitamins because they thought an extra one wouldnt hurt.

Furthermore, you can overdose on just about anything if you try hard enough. It's a matter of being smart about it. Always follow recommended dosages unless you are otherwise advised by a physician, and by this I mean that you hear it from a doctor's mouth, not that you looked up a "safe" dose on wikipedia. Also, coining off of CD's last node, only take medications and supplements that are prescribed to YOU. As CD said, dont be taking your wife's pre-natal vitamins as they can cause you serious harm.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X