Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleo: Anyone else have one?

Pleo: http://www.pleoworld.com/

I've been waiting for this robot for years now and was priveledged enough to get one of the 2000 "early hatch" bots available. I was wondering what everyone's opinions of it were, if they've got one or not. Right now, I'm having trouble deciding if I want to keep it or sell it. I'm keen on robotics and AI, but Pleo is still a kid's toy-pet at heart... albeit a very advanced one.

I think once the open source LifeOS comes fully online and I can play with it more I might be more happy with it. Granted, if the price on Ebay starts approaching $600+ I think I might have to sell it. Hehe.

My biggest gripe with it is that it IS a Chinese product and hence contains cheap Chinese servo-actuators, along with an old-school NiMh battery. They also didnt really give us the ability to remove the skin, which sux... because I'd REALLY love to get at the insides of this thing (if I could I'd probably swap out the servos). Once the LifeOS is moddable I'll build my own LiPoly (or A123 Lith-Ion) batt. pack (another one of my hobbies), and maybe increase the voltage a bit. He's already got USB and SD interfaces so the possibilities are endless there (I sense a wired-to-PC realtime interface in my Pleo's future).

Re: Pleo: Anyone else have one?

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
    old-school NiMh battery.
    Man, if NiMH is old school, then I must be getting old.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This thing looks awesome. Oh and a good chunk of your last paragraph looks like Greek to me.

Youtube video on Pleo

Comment

Nickel Metal-Hydride Batteries are not old school. It's just Li-Ions have dwarfed the potential of Ni-MH cells.

Now if you meant, Ni-CD, then I'd agree.

Originally posted by Gambit7
        My biggest gripe with it is that it IS a Chinese product...
        Okay, most consumer goods and toys are made in China. So, what else is new?

My question is this: is a Chinese company the OEM or is the OEM a American company who has a Chinese plant producing these dinos?

If it's a Chinese OEM, then I might agree the Quality Control might be a bit lacking and part quality may not be the best. But if it is the latter, then one should think that QC is good and parts are well made.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          ehh,nickel metal hydride isnt old school, they are just heavier than LiON and hold a longer charge, but LiON last longer (more charges to kaputt)
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Yah man, get with the times! :)
            Nowadays all the rave is A123 Li-Ion(nanotechnology), prior to that was Li-Poly. I dont even think they put NiMH in cellulars anymore do they?

Soon we'll start seing Li-S (lithium sulfur) and higher tech li-poly.

I should be able to triple the battery life, along with an increased voltage and higher voltage levels over time, and lighter weight.

Funny thing is, Pleo doesnt really move around a whole lot... so might as well just make an umbilical for it with AC-Adapter and USB also.

Comment

Uhhh.. NiMH is CERTAINLY old school! We're talking 1 step above Ni-Cd here people. Battery dev goes like this:
              Ni-Cd
              Ni-Mh
              Li-Ion
              Li-Poly
              Li-Ion(nano)
              Li-S

Currently most of your cell batteries are all Li-Ion. Most of the batts. in any R/C Hobby are all Li-Poly now and even the ultra high discharge models are moving to the new A123 Li-Ions. Even Hybrid cars are now being converted to Li-Ion/poly along with the plug-in variants. Only reason Ni-Mh is in the Pleo is to save cost. It's also slightly more user friendly then Li-Poly (but not Li-Ion), but since the charger is such a piece of crap it really makes no difference.

Heavy metal based capacitors are a thing of the past. Get used to composites and polymers.

As for my Chinese statement, I'm aware of how most things (including electronics) are from China... but regarding servo-actuation I'd prefer not to bet the bank on cheap chinese servos. Pleo is yet another American product wholly made in China using Chinese components assembled by a Chinese company. If they'd used American or Japanese high-end servos they'd get orders of magnitude better servo response and life, not to mention better battery consumption.

I'm not really complaining yet about the current servos, because they work ok... but I'm not keeping my hopes up either. Regardless, I'd still like to take a scalpel to this sucker and cut him open. :)

p.s.
              I taste lead in Pleo's paint
              j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                Uhhh.. NiMH is CERTAINLY old school! We're talking 1 step above Ni-Cd here people. Battery dev goes like this:
                Ni-Cd
                Ni-Mh
                Li-Ion
                Li-Poly
                Li-Ion(nano)
                Li-S
                *cough*

Are you sure Li-Ion is a newer technology? :row__642: I seem to remember using them in military radios that were built using 1960's technology. <yawn> I also seem to remember making bombs out of them! :row__523:

Gambit, you sure do like spouting off a bunch of factually inaccurate technical stuff, don't you?
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

These guys make good servo controllers:

http://agile-systems.com/

(I use them at work.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

*cough*

Are you sure Li-Ion is a newer technology? :row__642: I seem to remember using them in military radios that were built using 1960's technology. <yawn> I also seem to remember making bombs out of them! :row__523:

Gambit, you sure do like spouting off a bunch of factually inaccurate technical stuff, don't you?
                    CD, NiMh is older tech. then standard Li-Ion. Whatever military radio battery you're talking about is definitely NOT consumer grade, and I'd be willing to bet it's not a very good battery at that (definitely not better then current NiMh and it's most likely not even Li-Ion, but just standard Lithium). If you need "proof" because you dont believe me (even though I've worked with every generation of these batts. for the past 10 years), check here:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_...ydride_battery

Then:
                    http://www.milspec.ca/radspec/radspec.html

Please dont say my facts are innaccurate before you check yourself.

I could run around saying Li-S batteries are older then Li-Poly if I wanted to, but the fact is it's not a practical solution right now. Once it becomes practical and significant gains are made with THAT tech., then it goes on the list.

The advent of chemistry doesnt mean you automatically have a battery better then the ones you currently use. Anyways, why are we arguing about batteries?

As for my factual innaccuracies, 9 times out of 10 it's due to people spinning what I say for the sake of argument or simply not understanding my meaning. (see the HDDVD vs. Blu Ray thread and Mantis' attacks on both you and me)

Comment

Ah, you're correct, sir. My apologies. I was thinking of Lithium batteries. And, man, did they blow up when you shorted them out...

That said, I wasn't able to spin your HD DVD comments so that they even made sense to me...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Interesting, this is a public sold robot. Now given, there is a lot better robotic technology actively in use in military and large companies/businesses. But for a home / fun / past time use? This is tops that I have seen that is not super expensive.
                        Colonel Cane Corso
                        U.S.M.C. - AH-1Z Super Cobra

Comment

I remember reading about the Pleo a year or so ago when it was under development. It is a very interesting robot indeed.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Do they offer anything else other than a dinosaur? Maybe a nice cute cuddly teddy bear that can walk, talk, and hug? I've always wanted a walking, talking teddy bear. :p
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The closest may be the Wowee Toy's (of robosapien fame) Panda.
                              http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/robots/wo...dom-226642.php

You could always get a cheap Robosapien and put a coil gun on it.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X