History of Louisiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Louisiana

I know this is pretty last minute but I have a request for the TG community. My dad finally got around telling me what he was interested in for Christmas. He would like me to find The History of Louisiana by Charles E. Gayarre. It is a 4 volume set published by Pelican Publishing.
    http://www.pelicanpub.com/Press_Rele...20Volume%20Set

Here is the hard part and where I need some help. I am looking for first or second editions. While getting a hold on the entire set would be perfect, I can settle for pieces with Volume III and IV being top priority. So far a search of the internet hasn't turned up much of anything, so I need help hitting the used/old/antique book store circuit around the country, especially in Louisiana.

edit: I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to hunt down this set but if you find yourself in or near a bookstore sometime within the next week an inquiry on my behalf is much appreciated. Don't worry about this if you are in the Boston area because my Dad has already scoured the area.

Re: History of Louisiana

I don't know if you checked it out yet, but my cousin works for a startup called Alibris. They do internet used and rare books.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?au...y+of+Louisiana

Don't know if they the right editions though.

Heres the third edition, complete set...

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...&qsort=&page=1

Another early edition:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...&qsort=&page=1
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Aculle, there is a store in St. Petersburg called Haslam's and they claim to be one of the largest used book stores in the world. My mom has found 5 first edition copies of The Joy of Cooking for various people there and those are notably hard to find. I've been to this place and I'd venture a guess that they will probably have what youre looking for.
      They have a website, but its not much help, so heres an address and phone number instead:
      Haslam's Book Store
      2025 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida 33713
      (727) 822-8616

Hope that helps!

Comment

Yar. I will look around Houston since I have free time now and I may benefit from proximity to Louisiana.

P.S. - When would you need them by? There's usually a deadline on holiday shipping, right?

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
        TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
        ||

Comment

I dunno.. Isn't an early edition history book sort of defeating the purpose?
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Not generally. First edition books are generally considered collectors items because they contain the unedited work of the original author without extra annotations and crap that was added on later. Think of it this way: would you rather have a Barnes and Noble copy of Romeo and Juliet thats been poured over, spellchecked, edited for proper meter, etc, or the first printed copy that you KNOW is Shakespeare's original work? Thats the allure of first editions.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Penguineer, Christmas would be ideal but at this rate, just tracking down the volumes would be great.

At this point my Dad isn't looking at these volumes has a historian but as a collector since he has pretty much already read everything on the subject. When you are building a rare/old book library you want to focus on specific subjects as much as possible. My Dad is currently working on The Burr Conspiracy and more specifically General Wilkinson (Aaron Burr sought to secede the then newly aquired Lousiana Territory and form his own empire with the help of General Wilkinson).

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                Not generally. First edition books are generally considered collectors items because they contain the unedited work of the original author without extra annotations and crap that was added on later.
                I know first editions are held in higher regard for collectors. But a HISTORY book that I presumed might be read for intellectual sport? Wouldn't you want the edition with, you know, all the history? (;
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

a little late now, but bigwords.com searches all of the other book sites.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X