The PC is dead... Long live the PC!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PC is dead... Long live the PC!

Well, it finally happened. My gaming rig doesn't want to boot. After a lightning storm last May, I RMA'd my non-functioning motherboard and have had lack luster results with the replacement. My DVD drive doesn't read anymore, I've got bad sectors on my RAM, random crashes, couldn't play anything graphics intensive and now finally it simply won't boot to windows.

I've got the thumbs up to piece together a new PC from the wife unit, but I have to wait until after the first of the year to start buying.
    USAR

Re: The PC is dead... Long live the PC!

damn, squeak. Hey, I'm building a new rig at the moment too. I've been wishlisting at new egg trying to get the parts together.

The only problem is I want to go for SLI, but I'm debating on whether or not to wait for 790i
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

All I've decided for now is that I'm going Intel and Nvidia, Corsair for Ram and staying as far away from MSI as possible.
      USAR

Comment

Did you have a good surge protector for your computer? I'm not very knowledgable on how it works, but I know it's saved lots of people grief.

8800GT go go go!
        Skud

Comment

Yes I did, the problem was that it was more of a brown out then a spike, which surge protectors don't do squat for.
          USAR

Comment

Brown out? Like a cookie?

Comment

brownout, as in 72volts comming from a 110v outlet.. almost as bad as a power spike
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Could be a PSU issue?

Be sure to wait until the new 45nm intel cpus come out. Either buy one of them or grab a used Q6600 when people dump them to get the newest hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                  Could be a PSU issue?

Be sure to wait until the new 45nm intel cpus come out. Either buy one of them or grab a used Q6600 when people dump them to get the newest hardware.
                  They are out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115034 I wouldn't recommend getting one at that price but they are available.

Intel hasn't released its new chipset yet though that's due out mid January last I heard.

| |

Comment

I suggest something like this:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35268/118/

Comment

Originally posted by pedestrian01 View Post
                      They are out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115034 I wouldn't recommend getting one at that price but they are available.

Intel hasn't released its new chipset yet though that's due out mid January last I heard.
                      True, but I would never recommend an extreme intel chip. What is the point of that thing anyway? I meant the upcoming mid range cpus. Is January when the X48 is coming out?

LOL Trooper, of course it goes without saying that the new standard is triple SLI. If you don't have that your just a chump. ;)

Comment

Heh, I don't think I can be convinced to waste money on SLI, let alone 3 way SLI.
                        USAR

Comment

Yup. I want a new pc SO bad, but I'm waiting until spring. I'm willing to bet that one new Nvidia 9800GT is gonna be better than running 2 8800's in sli. If nothing else, all the proposed tech coming out in January is gonna make the current stuff drop in price where I might get yesterdays technology at a drastically reduced price. Heck, I'm still hanging with my 4+ year old AMD 2600 Barton Core with a Geforce 6800GT. Still plays any Source games with outstanding framerates, but it still can't hang with the latest, such as UT3 and some of the very latest games.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X