Confessions of a PC gamer…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a PC gamer…

Forever I’ve been a PC gamer, a rather hardcore one at that. I build my own boxes and generally love more involved, realistic and complex games. I’ve owned the consoles through the years but after the SNES, I’ve pretty much overall discredited them compared to the PC for gaming and my interests and I still believe rightfully so until now.

My PC has fallen behind for the first time in a significant way, (AMD4000+,2gig, 8800GTX) but it seems a new system might have till wait till Jan/Feb with the X48, new ICs and maybe the next Nvidia high end piece coming.

But, in the mean time I got COD4 for the 360 and I have to admit even with the controller I had a great time! I tried the PC demo but when setting it to my usual 1280x960 4xAA 8xAniso settings on my 21” CRT I got FPS dipping in to the low 20s, and it was a drag.

I then played through Mass Effect on the 360 and also had a great time. I didn’t ever play GRAW/GRAW2 or R6:Vegas. I am now considering getting them for the 360! It is funny, but I actually feel guilty getting them for the 360! Haha, I know it’s silly but after so many years of being such a big supporter of the PC for gaming it seems rather odd to me!

I still do plan on getting the upgraded computer in the next month or two, but I wonder if others have had this experience as well? I am still a big fan of PC gaming. Actually I can’t wait till there is a universal gaming device that excepts any controller type and plays all geners, including “groggy” wargames. Kind of like a console but with a much more open development system, but that is another topic all together. :)

Thanks for listening and I’d be interested in anyone’s comments. Oh and how are GRAW 1,2 and R6:V on 360, anyway? From what I’ve read they seem to get very good reviews.
    Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Re: Confessions of a PC gamer…

See sig :)
    USAR

Comment

I started as a console gamer with Nintendo NES. I then started PC gaming with games like Wolfenstein and Doom. I started playing PC online with Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic and Unreal Tournament. I still love console gaming, it's best for playing with a group of friends when we get together. PC gaming is my ideal online machine though.

Comment

I´ve never been able to afford a console. But I hope I will get a 160 for christmas just for the sole purpose of Mass Effect and a few other select games.. No Halo for me. I´m a fanboy of Halo, but I do believe that the games are overrated!

Comment

I wholeheartedly disagree squeak. =P

Not surprising though the 360 is basically PC gaming lite.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Hehe, I believe PCs are capable of delivering the best overall game experience with all things being perfect. Unfortunately that is not the case a lot of the time, such as now since my PC is not updated and won't be for at least one or two more months.

In the mean time I am finding the 360 to be a very worthy gaming device. When I get my new PC it will be a tougher choice where to play games, but there might still be some games I play on 360 even after the new PC. And I agree, the 360 is somewhat of a "pc-lite" situation but because software can be specifically optimized for the closed architecture of the 360 this helps it delivery a much higher quality gaming experience than an exact PC hardware comparison.

Either way, I'm having fun with the 360 in lieu of my PC no longer being able to run current and semi-current games with an acceptable level of performance.
            Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
              I wholeheartedly disagree squeak. =P

Not surprising though the 360 is basically PC gaming lite.
              Meh. I think the popularity of consoles have spoken for themselves.
              USAR

Comment

I posted these comments over at SimHQ after a member brought up that SimHQ shouldn't be reviewing console games or even games like COD4 because there not sims... I think it applies here too...

I'm open minded... lets see I started with the Atari 2600 and pong then space invaders (a console)... then got a TRS80 from Radio Shack (1st personal computer) and programmed a racing game on a cassette tape drive, lol...

then joined the army and got a Sega Genesis (a console) and played all those sport and racing games), then a C128 (a upgraded PC from the C64) where I played flight sims like Gunship, F15 Strike Eagle, Airborne Ranger...and many more...

Then I got me my first modern PC, (a Micron) played Stonekeep (an CRPG), sport games, and the Janes flight sims including LB2...

then have been upgrading PC's ever since with CRPG games, racers, sport games, simulations, and now mostly FPS... (FPS'ers was actually one of the last type of games I started playing... the Original Rainbow Six was my first...)

and now I have a 360 (a console again)... playing FPS, racers, and sport games...

so I am proud to say that I have been a well rounded gamer with a open mind for anything and everything... don't hate me because I'm beautiful! lol I am a true gamer.

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  I posted these comments over at SimHQ after a member brought up that SimHQ shouldn't be reviewing console games or even games like COD4 because there not sims... I think it applies here too...

BTW... whats more realistic, clicking a mouse to shoot a gun, or pulling a trigger? lol
                  In these days of modern warfare, the mouse.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The guy does have a point. It's called SimHQ for a reason. Of course there aren't that many sims out now a days so I understand the need to review none sim games.

I never consider popularity a measure of quality. It's called the mainstream for a reason.
                    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
                      I never consider popularity a measure of quality. It's called the mainstream for a reason.
                      You see, I bet people who were die hard Beta Max fans held your same beliefs. Just because you can't get past your own limitations, gaming has to be 'mainstream' or 'consumer friendly' because that's the only way it survives. I think enough consumers have spoken with their pocket books regarding the quality of the system and games.
                      USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X