Cell Phones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phones

Well its that time in my contract where im given the sweet option to upgrade for a mild discount. Ive got a few phones in mind and will list them, but im wondering what people look for in a phone. Looks? Style (clamshell or candy bar) ? Or do you look at tech specs, what stuff it supports.

Ive always wanted a smart phone such as a Blackberry Pearl or the MotoQ. But my issue with spending that kind of money on the phone/plan is I dont really have a need for something that fancy. I just want it.

My next selection would be the Razr line.

Motorola ROKR Z6m A need little music phone, but i dont want to listen to music on my phone, dont have a need or time.

Motorola RAZR V3a. This is the first razr. It has some nice features and its a really good phone.

Motorola RAZR2 V9m Really sweet phone, does some nice upgrades to the original, just is $150 more.

So any suggestions or ideas for me? I have alltel and love them. Been a customer for 7+ years and have never really had any issue with them, that couldn't be fixed.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Cell Phones

I really love my KRZR because it's nice looking, a bit smaller, has a MP3 player in it, but i wish I could get a ROKR.

But if you won't need the MP3 player then I'd say go with the RAZRv2 because that one looks alot nicer and sleeker.

People say all the time that RAZR's break easily but i drop mine smack mine, play the MP3 player out in the snow and it looks brand new so idk why people say RAZR's break so bad...well, mine is a KRZR tho but still it's almost the exact same cept a bit smaller.

So yeah, id say go with RAZRv2.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

If you're into smartphones, I recommend the samsung blackjack.

Comment

I will always sing the praises of the Q. It has a faster cpu than the BJ, and can do ANYTHING!

the short list:

GPS through a BT reciever
        LIVE TV anywhere with my slingbox
        movies on the go with TCPMP
        ....MP3's too
        flashlight... go ahead and laugh, but I use that all the time.
        internet based 411 with radius results
        mobile IM messenger
        nintendo emulator
        ebook reader
        pdf reader
        BT remote for my computer
        powerpoint, excel, and word viewer (editor with 3rd party program)
        email!!!!
        internet on my phone and my computer
        camera
        2gig memory stick
        weather updates

oh, yeah..... it's a phone too.

other than that, my wife's razor v3c is great. I would not get a v3a though... they did quite a few fixes and upgrades with the v3c, and even more with the v3m... added a microSD slot and mp3 player to the m.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
          I will always sing the praises of the Q. It has a faster cpu than the BJ, and can do ANYTHING!

the short list:

GPS through a BT reciever
          LIVE TV anywhere with my slingbox
          movies on the go with TCPMP
          ....MP3's too
          flashlight... go ahead and laugh, but I use that all the time.
          internet based 411 with radius results
          mobile IM messenger
          nintendo emulator
          ebook reader
          pdf reader
          BT remote for my computer
          powerpoint, excel, and word viewer (editor with 3rd party program)
          email!!!!
          internet on my phone and my computer
          camera
          2gig memory stick
          weather updates

oh, yeah..... it's a phone too.

other than that, my wife's razor v3c is great. I would not get a v3a though... they did quite a few fixes and upgrades with the v3c, and even more with the v3m... added a microSD slot and mp3 player to the m.
          Faster Processor. Big whoop. My blackjack can do all of that and anything I program it to. And by the way, any bluetooth enabled phone can use practically any bluetooth device. I'm strictly a laptop-gps-bluetooth guy though. Don't need my phone to have a receiver in it. Triangulate my ass.

Comment

I have the Verizon version of the ROKR Z6m. It's a sweet little phone!! The slide design is just perfect, and the styling of it looks really good. Sliding the phone open to answer and closed to hang up is much quicker and simpler than it is with a flip/ clamshell phone. And, it has a physical lock switch so that you don't press buttons while it's closed and in your pocket. So, if you are looking for a phone phone (not a smartphone), it's one of the best all around right now (imo).

Comment

Funny you bring this up.

About a month ago I was in the same position. I've done the Blackberry thing and it was okay, and I've also done the normal RAZR V3M deal and that was okay too. I went into the Verizon store to look at the Treo 700wx as I wanted to go back to a smartphone but not the Blackberry (I've found blackberries to be too restrictive when it comes to software).

The Verizon rep showed me the new Samsung i760 and after a few minutes playing with it I was sold. The interface is HIGHLY flexible and you can pretty much make it work exactly like anything you want. I've ran the standard Windows Mobile 6 UI, the HTC Touch UI, and I even at one point in the past 4 weeks had the entire thing skinned and operating like an iPhone.

It's a solid piece of equipment with a very nice touch-screen interface. The slide out full keyboard is also quite handy and feels more comfortable than the Treo. It's a lot like the Samsung Blackjack on steroids.

Treo 700wx

Samsung i760
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                Funny you bring this up.

About a month ago I was in the same position. I've done the Blackberry thing and it was okay, and I've also done the normal RAZR V3M deal and that was okay too. I went into the Verizon store to look at the Treo 700wx as I wanted to go back to a smartphone but not the Blackberry (I've found blackberries to be too restrictive when it comes to software).

The Verizon rep showed me the new Samsung i760 and after a few minutes playing with it I was sold. The interface is HIGHLY flexible and you can pretty much make it work exactly like anything you want. I've ran the standard Windows Mobile 6 UI, the HTC Touch UI, and I even at one point in the past 4 weeks had the entire thing skinned and operating like an iPhone.

It's a solid piece of equipment with a very nice touch-screen interface. The slide out full keyboard is also quite handy and feels more comfortable than the Treo. It's a lot like the Samsung Blackjack on steroids.

Treo 700wx

Samsung i760
                Omg sell me it.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                  If you're into smartphones, I recommend the samsung blackjack.

I have the same phone and it is great! Best phone I have had to date.
                  "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I was looking at the treo but my mom has one and she hates its. It never works right, as in you call her and it just kicks you to voice mail instead of ringing thru. I have a few weeks to figure my choices out so keep the ideas coming.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

I just bought an EnV at Amazon (new Verizon Contract)...for $9.99 after $50.00 rebate. I think they owe us $25.00 for my Wife's KRZR phone..after rebate of course.
                      Amazon does have some nice phone deals... Just my 2 cents...
                      (of course I now want that Samsung ;-) But I am assuming it;s a smart phone ..and they want you to get the $50.00 a month data plan with that??

A geeky buddy of mine just got the Treo 700WX after a slew of other smart phones. Claims its teh best one he has had... bar none ... I thought my treo 650 was a bit chunky and didn't like the Volume levels...
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I just got a new cell phone as the one I had for 4+ years was not supported anymore. Personally for me a cell phone is a phone. I use it to call people or for people to call me. If its small enough for a pocket, has good battery life and is easy to use I'm happy. I don't need mp3gps8gbspeeddialcolordisplay GT1001, I just need it to do its job. I would suggest keeping that in mind as you can probably use the money on other more important things like beer.

Comment

I've been looking at a company called Tracfone. You buy the phone and some minutes and pay as you go. When the minutes run out you either buy more or just don't have a phone...you can buy as many minutes as you want so if you really want to you can stock up for months if that's your gig. They offer a wide variety of phones that range in price...I can get a phone and 200 minutes, good for 4 months, for 40 bucks!!..10 bucks a month for a phone...sign me up I'm thinking. I'm like Long Bow...don't need all the fancy gadgets. I make my living on the phone so the last thing I want to do is talk on it after work...its for emergencies and grocery calls.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                            talk on it after work...its for emergencies and grocery calls.
                            In my house a botched groccery run is an emergency, cell phones save husbands lives ;)

Comment

Grunt, I tried TracFone and quickly found it was not the thing for me. Most of my calls are to/from my wife and unless they have changed their policies, TracFone uses 'units', not minutes. And, even checking your VM costs units, and everything is done in full unit increments.

It worked initially when I had it basically for emergencies but I plowed through the units once my wife started calling me. Ended up being better for us to get a plan with T-Mobile. We got 2 phones, unlimited mobile-to-mobile and 1000 anytime minutes for $49.99/month, which was only $15 more a month then we were paying Sprint for one phone and 300 minutes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X