Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Laptop Per Child (and a free one for you!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Laptop Per Child (and a free one for you!)

I don't know if you guys have heard of the XO Laptop, but it's an extremely rugged, basic laptop that has a revolutionary display, flash drives instead of disks, and an OS UI geared towards kids. Oh, and it can be recharged by human power. It's only available through the One Laptop Per Child program, which is trying to make this laptop available to kids that don't otherwise have great educational opportunities.

Anyway, right now they're running a Give One, Get One promo. I'm thinking about giving one, and giving the free one to my kid. For $399 to give one AND get one, you can't beat it.

http://laptopgiving.org/en/index.php
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: One Laptop Per Child (and a free one for you!)

Yeah, I did some reading up on these a while back they they seem like they are going to be pretty good for basic computing. Nothing exceptional but something to just play around with.
    I also read about another cheap laptop, the Asus Eee. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24200+-+%24300 Nothing really exceptional with these either. I did some reading and found out they are supposed to release a 4Gb and 8Gb version of the Eee soon.

Oh, just to let you know, the buy one get one is that you buy one and some child in a deprived country gets the second one you. You do not end up with 2 for the price of one. Just in case you misunderstood that.

Comment

I've seen this before, its a good program that benefits these kids, wish I had the extra cash to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
        Oh, just to let you know, the buy one get one is that you buy one and some child in a deprived country gets the second one you. You do not end up with 2 for the price of one. Just in case you misunderstood that.
        Not exactly. See, you can't buy these laptops, except on Ebay or some other third party broker. Right now, however, there is a promotion that will give you a free XO laptop when you donate a laptop to a child. You're not buying a laptop, you're donating, and it is tax deductible (minus the $100 value of the laptop you get)!

That's why it's called the Give one, Get one deal!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I heard somewhere that said poor children could be in the southern US, any details on that?

Comment

I believe that only a few jurisdictions in the US have signed deals for the XO laptop. Most of their business is from other countries.

This is a really cool program and I wish that I had the fundage to participate. The technology behind the X0 machine is pretty cool stuff.
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X