WOW... GR and RS on todays system...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW... GR and RS on todays system...

Man o Man am I in heaven... just install Ghost Recon Gold and Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield Gold on my new state of the art Vista system... both run flawlessly...and running at 1600x1200x32 with everything max... they both still look great... and the missions, bring back memories of true tactical games of yesterday...was kinda surprised they installed and ran w/o incident... even Longbow 2 installed and runs on vista, but looks terrible because of the extremely low resolution. (was never able to get LB2 to run on my XP system.)

BTW... I think I have the latest and greatest patches for both, is the below correct?

GR v1.4
    RS v1.6
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: WOW... GR and RS on todays system...

Yeah, those are the latest patches.

I actually got a really big thrill out of playing RS with the X-Fi. I used to play it on a Game Theater XP sound card that only supported EAX2. It was nice to hear what the game sounds like with EAX HD. The reverb is amazing in that game... at least for a game of its time.

I still haven't managed to get LB2 working on my desktop but it works fine on my laptop though. It must be some hardware config on my desktop causing the problem since they both run Vista. It sure is weird looking at cruddy graphics but it doesn't matter so much when the game is that good.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Posted screens of LB2 and GR over at SimHQ, screens thread... stuff is working better on my Vista system then they did with XP... go figure. ;)
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Wow, games running better on Vista? That's going to be tough to swallow for lots of gamers! It's good to know you're enjoying gaming on Vista because I do too.

Comment

I just want to know why you guys keep mentioning World of Warcraft and Clancy games together like this...

;)
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

lol...took me a second, I was like...World of Warcraft...what the hell is he talking about? WOW, right over my head.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

How do these games deal with the gimping that Vista did to the sound system?
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                How do these games deal with the gimping that Vista did to the sound system?
                I actually want to know what the deal is with vista and sound cards. What's the deal?
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                  I actually want to know what the deal is with vista and sound cards. What's the deal?
                  There is no deal really. Some do have problems with X-Fi mode and BF2 but there is support for EAX in Vista. Creative has done a pretty good job with ALchemy, a OpenAL conversion for older games. There is an Audigy version of ALchemy but that'll cost money. For X-Fi cards, it's free.

Other sound cards don't really have to worry much. They should work as normal and there's not much else to worry about with DirectX Sound since those cards don't have to handle EAX HD or X-Fi.

Comment

from my understanding, when Vista was released the most popular sound card was never supported, the SB EAX series, but that has since been fixed... stupid launch mistake, but addressed now...

I tried Vista when it first came out, hated it, un-installed it...went back to XP... but now a new state of the art system with Vista and everything works GREAT...old and new... it took a while but Vista is coming around. IMO
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

I'm trying to dig up technical details on what Vista did to accelerated sound, and what 3rd parties are having to do to restore it. Apparently MS ripped out the HAL layer, probably as part of their DRM initiative. This removed low-level API's used by 3rd party DSP drivers.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Creat...ta-45154.shtml
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                        from my understanding, when Vista was released the most popular sound card was never supported, the SB EAX series, but that has since been fixed... stupid launch mistake, but addressed now...

I tried Vista when it first came out, hated it, un-installed it...went back to XP... but now a new state of the art system with Vista and everything works GREAT...old and new... it took a while but Vista is coming around. IMO
                        The SoundBlaster cards are really old though. The Audigy users are most affected because they're still good sound cards but old enough that Creative doesn't make it a top priority to get hardware acceleration working.

I've been using Vista from almost the beginning of the final release. Creative drivers were cruddy at first. They just got the basics working. OpenAL was fine though since it doesn't use DirectX Sound. The issue was older games using DirectX Sound and couldn't utilize hardware acceleration. Many complained that such an expensive sound card ended up being like any other sound card, including onboard sound. ALchemy changes this. It bypasses DirectX and translates any calls into OpenAL calls. Since the release of Vista, Creative really hasn't made much of an improvement with their drivers. They still suck compared to what used to be available in XP.

There are other drivers available like YouP Pax. I'm using the YouP Pax drivers now and it actually gets the old XP software working. Creative can't seem to get their remote to work yet some hackers got the old Creative software working and I can use the remote that came with my X-Fi Platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          I'm trying to dig up technical details on what Vista did to accelerated sound, and what 3rd parties are having to do to restore it. Apparently MS ripped out the HAL layer, probably as part of their DRM initiative. This removed low-level API's used by 3rd party DSP drivers.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Creat...ta-45154.shtml
                          They ripped it out because they knew it sucked. There is a channel nine video with some of the engineers that worked on it. From what I remember they took it out of the kernel and put it at the user level for various reasons but mainly to add flexibility. Part of that is the ability to implement DRM.

There is some FUD out there about vista audio. One of them is that you must go through the vista sound components and can no longer do "direct hardware" sound algorithms. That is only true if you want to get your sound device certified vista something or the other. If you don't care about certifications you can do pretty much anything you want. Using the vista standards means that your device will work with the widest range of software out of the box.

You gotta remember that the soundblaster stuff (I don't remember what it was called) became the de-facto standard in the early days because there was literally no sound support in early computers (80's). Over time those standards merged with Microsoft's attempts and some other things ending up with what you had in XP. And really, it was horrible. I have had more problems with sound devices than any other thing outside printers.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X