Semi-noob Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-noob Question

I really, really loved Ghost Recon (the original) as played on TG's servers. When it faded from popularity many moons ago, I took a long break...and returned to TG as a WoW player. That game has absorbed a lot of time, energy and interest and is still at the top of my list.

The by-product of my WoW infatuation is that I'm really out of touch with the current offering of TG games...and I'm especially interested in whatever is the heir to the team-oriented, slower-paced style of the original Ghost Recon. My question is this: what games should I consider that are most similar to the original GR with cooperative teamplay and somewhat realistic tactics?
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Semi-noob Question

I'm not familiar with Ghost Recon so I ca only guess about what you are looking for but try the Project Reality Mod for BF2. BF2 is really cheap right now so it's kind of a no-brainer. Also download the Forgotten HOpe 2 and Point of Existence mods. They are both great mods and have a solid following. They are more like what vanilla BF2 should have been.

If you are looking for more of a simulation then Armed Assault may be your ticket. I'm not sure how active the game is right now though.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I'd say that Ghost Recon at TG was closer to Armed Assault than to Battlefield.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would also point to Armed Assault.

Magnum50 is going to be bringing SWAT4 back here as well and it will be played VERY much like GR was in the old days of TG, so that could also be a good candidate.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Beep get in touch with Grunt or any of these guys..http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tion-team.html. I think they just took a little break but with the new patch released I have noticed more activity.
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I never played GR at TG (it was before I was enlightened ;) ) but I would also agree that Armed Assault is GR's 2007 contemporary.
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'll be checking out Armed Assault.
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Armed Assault is the closest in terms of co-op mission play. Project Reality is kind of like GR TvT. It's a bit faster paced but the tactical game play is something that would fulfill an old school GR player.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

all these poor TG newbies that never got to experience GR here.

A sniper bullet from across the map courtesy of badger,
                  800 rounds of hot lead before you hit the ground thanks to wolfie
                  auto TK grenades from lowdrag
                  leadership rivaled only by Washington himself could be had if you were lucky enough to catch Luna as TL
                  and then there were the "BEAT WHITE TIGER" nights. I still have nightmares.

did anyone ever actually finish on that map?

GR is was my sole reason for being here, and I have not found a sequel since. Sure I tried COD and BF2 and AA, but nothing compares to GR.... I mean come on!!! It was freakin GR!

I wasted countless hours of sleep sucking at GR!!!!!!!!

:( I miss it :(
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I so miss those days. TG OGR is the best and most fun gaming experience I've had (second place would be the WoW end game raiding guild I'm in).

Aaaah...the MP5 hunts Dudeman and I had on the castle night missions hehe...
                    We'd be honing our stealth skills, as we were armed with bb guns and only head shots counted. While the rest of the squad might go gung ho and get killed in a firefight, Dude and I set up our targets for pure assassinations ;)
                    Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Jex and Riyker finished White Tiger after a lot of attempts. I think they did a lot of sneaking to get to extraction. Nobody has beaten the original version though. Karma was evil.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Noone?
                        I thought it'd been beaten once, but not even that then o0
                        Yeah....bad Karma!
                        Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

AA, SWAT4 are what you're looking for.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                            all these poor TG newbies that never got to experience GR here.

A sniper bullet from across the map courtesy of badger,
                            800 rounds of hot lead before you hit the ground thanks to wolfie
                            auto TK grenades from lowdrag
                            leadership rivaled only by Washington himself could be had if you were lucky enough to catch Luna as TL
                            and then there were the "BEAT WHITE TIGER" nights. I still have nightmares.

did anyone ever actually finish on that map?

GR is was my sole reason for being here, and I have not found a sequel since. Sure I tried COD and BF2 and AA, but nothing compares to GR.... I mean come on!!! It was freakin GR!

I wasted countless hours of sleep sucking at GR!!!!!!!!

:( I miss it :(
                            if everyone loves that game soo much why doesnt anyone play it anymore =P i wish i would have been around to witness it in action

hi Beep! i dont know how to compare GR to, so i dont have an answer for you.:row__531: