Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any warhammer 40k miniature enthusiasts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any warhammer 40k miniature enthusiasts?

Hey TG community, a gaming community of course.

But people have other hobbies, for say, Warhammer 40,000 miniature painting/table top playing.

I started this hobby a ways back and stopped. Since then I sold everything besides the starter set rule book. Now after playing Dawn of War, I decided to start up small and really test my abilities in such a topic.

So if anyone is an experienced painter of Warhammer, or in miniatures in general I would love to talk with you and try and get a good idea of what I could be stepping into again. I'm mainly looking into painting, not playing the table top game just yet.

Thanks for reading. I hope there is a few out there!
    I see, I come, I conquer.

Re: Any warhammer 40k miniature enthusiasts?

I want to get into WH Fantasy and 40k but it's just so expensive. I MIGHT get into historical games and Warhammer Epic.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have a long history with Games Workshop going back 18 years. In that time I have worked in five of their retail stores and managed one of them. My interest in the hobby mainly stems from painting and I made 4th place in the Canadian Golden Demon Painting Awards for a single 40k miniature.

If you have any questions Shoo, then just send me a PM mate :)
      sigpic

Comment

That is an incredible background, I will shoot some questions your way, I hope too even have a conversation some day with you if you have some free time.

I hope to mainly focuse on painting, although in due time ( a year or two) maybe jump into the game itself. The closest Games Workshop is 45 minutes away!

As for the price, a bit expensive for my blood too. Starting back up is beyond 75 dollars, just on a whim. I was hoping maybe GW hosts a class, or session of some type. I might find an old friend who could lend me some paints so I can test my painting endurance.

P.S. These painted miniatures get to insane detail!

Comment

God I worry about the painting so much but at the same time it shouldn't be harder then a garage kit granted those have the size advantage.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

These days all the rage is Warmachine and Warmachine:Hordes, based on the DnD "Iron Kingdoms" setting (steampunk greatness). Quite frankly, Warmachine minis are the highest quality you can generally get from any local hobby shop. They ARE more pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. The size and detail are top notch and the stylization is much more well done than Warhammer.

Also, Warmachine's rules are a LOT more user friendly and much easier to play on a small scale. Yet, they can easily be ramped up to large-scale engagements and huge campaigns. Playstyle is fast and furious with a myriad of strat/tactical options. Bad rolls can be fought by spending appropriate resources. It's just a much more well designed and refined system and much easier to get new players involved. Warhammer is a bit too crunchy and hardcore, and can get a bit more tedious.

I used to play in a Warmachine league and it was fun, but I just couldnt get into painting them that much. I painted an entire starter set to absolute perfection (probably could sell them for a LOT of money) and it just about killed me... the amount of time involved is ridiculous.

Anyways, if you're looking to get back into it... that's my advice for you.

Comment

I picked up several sets of figurines a while ago that I haven't gotten around to painting either because, quite frankly, screwing up the paint job makes for nothing more than an expensive, clownish-looking figurine that I'd be too embarrassed to field on any table anywhere. Rather than communicating in PMs, why not make this an open discussion?

What I have picked up are several units of Catachan Imperial Guardsmen units weighing in somewhere in the 1200 point region, I believe. A couple tanks, heavyweapons teams, etc - The usual gambit for an IG army I was told at the shop. Painting these guys I don't think will be too big a problem and they are relatively cheap in that they are all plastic. The worry for me is my Grey Knights army, again weighing in ~1200 points worth of units. They are incredibly detailed compared to the IG units and, more alarmingly for me, they are all pewter and therefore more expensive to replace should I botch things up and not get the look and feel right.

My main concern, apart from the aesthetics of course, is what level of detail should I look to apply to units that I intend to field on the table as opposed to a unit that I want to set up as a showcase model. Obviously the latter requires more time and effort as well as care with the brush. But at the same time, I'm told that some people, at the competitive gaming tables particularly, tend to be picky about the quality of one's paint job before they accept armies into battle rings. What hasn't been explained all that well to me is just how picky they get and so how picky I need to be about it.

Some tips on how to paint quickly while still maintaining "competitive quality" paint jobs as well as perhaps some pictures of some figs that people like to field competitively would be great. It would certainly help alleviate my level of paranoia when picking up the brush to get these figs finished and off my work bench.

Incidentally, if anyone plays WH40K: DoW, and its expansion packs - Dark Crusade particularly - please give me a shout. I'm always down for hooking up with a few buddies for a couple of quick games. In fact, I started a thread ages ago to do just that, but things kind of petered out as people found other interests, or other places to play. Find the thread here <<CLICK>>
              sigpic

Comment

My technique for painting was using a good white primer base and heavily diluting my paints with water. You gotta remember, you really are spending most of your time "washing" your figures rather than painting them. "Washing" is loading up your brush with diluted paint and basically letting the liquid flow where it needs to. It's a very light coat meant to be layered. It REALLY helps to add great depth and shadowing to your models and is a must for those hard to reach spots.

DONT cheap out on the brushes! Get high quality brushes and get them all sizes (especially the smallest sizes). Load the brushes up with water always.

Get yourself a nice mounted-clamp system ("helping hands" tool). This will hold your figs while you paint em. I actually use 2 of them. A clamp system with a magnifying glass is nice too.

Overall, you can easily paint your figs really nicely... but it's again a very time consuming endeavor. The best way to quicken it up to form an assembly line of similar figs and wash them with particular colors as you go along. By the time you switch colors the previous wash will have dried and you can apply another coat.

Comment

A small Ulthwé army and a bundle of unpainted Bretonnians. Yeah, it just takes a lot of time and eye strain. I used to be pretty enthusiastic about them, but painting models and tabletop wargames are really for the select few. I mean- talking about the necessity for patience here- cripes. I really enjoy painting them, but I don't think I have the umph to do another army. I might be interested in some of those small-party/squad games, like Mordheim or Necromunda, if I could find some folk to play with.

Comment

I'm wondering if you might get more response by relocating this thread to either a gaming section (RPG or Strat?) or one of the other general sections (General Discussion?). I know a lot of people tend to read only certain sections and some 40k enthusiats might miss this thread.

Meanwhile, I emailed a link to my friend who's into figure painting, who might be able to lend his wisdom to the discussion.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've loved painting miniatures since my days of playing D + D way back in the day. I still have many of what I painted. I had great memories of painting as it was a creative thing to do. I had not painted a mini in over 20 years!

About a 1 1/2 ago I bought some paint, picked a mini and started having fun again. If you are looking for quality paint and nicely sculpted mini's I would recommend:

http://www.reapermini.com/

Great service and their forums are friendly and have plenty of great ideas for painters. I'm eyeing some of their mini's for my next painting - lots of choices. I've painted their skeletons in the past and was thinking of tackling a giant one.

I attached a photo of a mini that I painted (bought it from Reaper) that I gave my nephew. I created the base out of pumice paste and cork. Paint, brushes and mini I bought from Reaper.
                      Attached Files
                      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                      - Check me out on The Onion
                      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I found some photos also of a skeleton I painted for my friends son which was the second mini I painted in 20 years. I'm getting my groove back. Rule of thumb when painting mini's, always paint for someone else as your more likely to take your time and make the mini look better than what you'd paint for yourself.

The shield I freehanded, it's suppose to be an Octopus (inspiried by the movie Jason and the Argonaughts - love that movie). I can't draw so it looks a bit odd. Mini is from Reaper, paint and brush. I used pumice paste and cork for the base.
                        Attached Files
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

40k MMORPG coming:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

This is an excellent site with some unbelievable painters. Lots of minis to look at and great place to get some ideas for painting.
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

So many great tips, thanks everyone. As for an open discussion, I'm fine with that too and will mainly place my question here.

One thing I dislike about starting up is the fact, Professionally painted mini's is what I want mine to look like, but it seems like such a long shot to accomplish half of what I see.

Question: What is "washing"? My terminology on this subject is quite limited.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X