Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apnea

Hey folks,

Im relatively new here to this forum, and I havn't spent too much time out of the PR threads.

I did a quick search and found a few posts here and there about apnea and thought maybe I would start a thread devoted to it. It's kind of a bummer topic, huh?

I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, after sleeping poorly for several years and never getting it checked out.

I use CPAP every night, and I hate it. I sleep somewhat better with it, but it is disruptive all in its own way.

I had surgery on my nose and throat in May. That seemed to help a little, though it didn't cure anything. Seems there isn't a "cure" anyway, at least for most people, short of major reconstructive jaw surgery.

I saw one fella here post he got the oral retainer. I am in the process of getting one. It is a slow process; I havnt even gotten in to see the DDM yet. Apparently he's a busy guy. I am putting a lot of faith in this thing working. Sleeping poorly has been at times almost like a handicap. It doesn't lend itself to school very well, that's for sure. And nothing is worse for your mood than being tired.

Anyone else having to deal with this, recently diagnosed or otherwise? Im happy to relate specifics about my surgery and stuff, or give anyone else who is having sleep problems what advice I can. The first step is to see the good doctor. Talking to others helped me when I first found out, and does still.

Tef
    sigpic

Re: Apnea

i have sleep apnia as well, a friend i went to school went to college to be a sleep therapist or whatever its called, and he did a sleep study on me while he was in college and told me i have sleep apnia, and that i stop breathing when i am sleeping.. since i dont want to drop that much money on a study and cpap, ill just take my chances
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TeflonDon View Post
      Hey folks,

Im relatively new here to this forum, and I havn't spent too much time out of the PR threads......

Tef
      hey Don,

Was browsing and saw this thread. Seen you over in the PR forum too. Actually Im pretty sure we've squadded together before.

10 years ago i was diangnosed with sleep apnea. I was given the choice of CPAP or having a UPPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty). I chose the the surgery although I was told it was less effective. It helped some, but its not the cure. I still dont want to go the CPAP route and I've found I really dont need it as I sleep on an extra firm matress on my stomach. That allows me to breathe freely. Its seemed to work for me the last ten years.

Catch ya in the field...

|

Comment

I have (undiagnosed) apnea. I'm pretty sure I have it, as my wife tells me it's scary how long I can go without breathing during the night. I don't think it disrupts my sleeping much (yet). There is one position I can sleep with and I'm a-ok: stomach with pillow under the head/arm looking to the left. As long as I'm in that position, I don't snore and I don't stop breathing.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Tonk- It's pretty much impossible to convince someone to see a doctor about something like this. But really, apnea is no joke. It's bad for your heart, your mind, your body, and just about everything; it's all connected in some way. Sleep deprivation or just poor sleep is a killer. I wish I had gone to a doctor about this before I did - who knows what strain I put on my heart in those few years. Im only 27, and I dont want to sound foolish, but as I get older I am starting to realize all the precautions you've heard all your life about your health are serious. Whatever happens to you can be permanent - and you have to live a long time with something that may have been avoidable.

Yeah War, we've Pr'd together definitely. I had a partial UUUP in May - they did the tonsils and uvula. And I had my deviated septum fixed (it's amazing you can have such a crooked nose and not know it) and my turbinates (sinuses) shrunk. It sucked, huh? You guys are lucky you can sleep on your stomach and see results. I've tried, it doesnt help.

bollocks to apnea
          sigpic

Comment

Edited to delete - post got posted twice
            sigpic

Comment

I had the surgery for my apnea several years back and ever since I have been fine. Before I had the surgery I was constantly falling asleep at the wheel and having killer migraines every day. The headaches got so bad that they ended up admitting me to the hospital and testing for menangitis with a spinal tap (OUCH!!!!!!!!) and other serious conditions like a brain tumor before finally sending me for a sleep study. The thing about apnea is that it wakes your brain up just enough to make you breath again but you don't notice it. This happens so may times throughout the night without you noticing that you never actually get into REM sleep and therefore become horribly sleep deprived even though you think you are sleeping all night every night.
              |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                I have (undiagnosed) apnea. I'm pretty sure I have it, as my wife tells me it's scary how long I can go without breathing during the night. I don't think it disrupts my sleeping much (yet). There is one position I can sleep with and I'm a-ok: stomach with pillow under the head/arm looking to the left. As long as I'm in that position, I don't snore and I don't stop breathing.
                Haha, I could have written the exact same sentences and it would true.

Anyone have any experience with the breath-right strips? I keep on meaning to buy some and give them a go, but just never think about it when I'm at the drug store.

Comment

I'm not saying this is cure, but it is the answer for some. It's actually pretty good for anywone that wants to get better sleep. There are meditation/relaxation techniques that isolate each major muscle group and relaxes them individually. Relaxed muscles require less oxygen, tend to limit "tossing and turning" and are less resistant to being moved, which can aid sigficantly in respiration (and many non-sleep related things).

As I said this doesn't help everyone, but any possible non-surery cures that come from further mastry and control of your own body, is worth trying.

Comment

i was surprised at how much my weight fluxuation has to do with my apnea...I have it worse when i am heavier, like right now (#350) but when i drop down below 300# it is not nearly so apparent to me or my wife who sleeps in a different bedroom across the house due to the snoring...

I keep thinking to myself that "..i will lose it again" and not have any problems, but I need to to the Sleep Clinic and get the prescription fro a CPAP..it might save my life...

why i don't, besides not having $1000, is a mystery...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X