Star Trek Online News!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Online News!

A release date is now known to the masses!

It's scheduled sometime to release after Duke Nukem Forever.

http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/...line-Developer

Originally posted by Dana Massey
    Breaking News: P2 Out As Star Trek Online Developer
    by Dana Massey, 14 Jan 2008 11:10 am

Star Trek OnlineP2 Entertainment - formerly Perpetual Entertainment - has ceased development on Star Trek Online, according to multiple sources at the San Francisco based developer. The news does not, however, mean that the game is canceled. The license, as well as the game's content - but not the code - have been transferred to another Bay Area development studio where work will continue. It is not entirely clear at this time what this means for the individual developers who worked on the project at P2.

As a company, P2 Entertainment will continue on with their profitable Perpetual Platform, which has been licensed to industry leaders like BioWare, and refocus their core business on the casual games market.

Without the code, whoever takes over Star Trek Online will be faced with a lot of work to complete the project, which means that fans may have longer to wait for a completed Star Trek Online.

P2 Entertainment had no comment on the story.

WarCry will continue to follow this story as it develops.
    So the idea of ST:O has been passed on, but all the work done on it so far has been scrapped. Anyone at all surprised by this especially when Perpetual scrapped Gods and Heroes last year during open beta?
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Star Trek Online News!

Tarenth, you know my feelings on this...

This sums it up:
    "YIPPEEEEEEE!"

Comment

I hate to be the nay-sayer, but honestly I was not looking forward to this MMO.

I'm a big enough MMO junky and Trek fan to where I would have to try it; however, I know full well that there are very high chances it would let me down.

SW:G did the same. Big time.
      sigpic
      Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

update:
        http://www.w00tstudios.net/index.php...d=91&Itemid=20

This is good news. Cryptic is a good studio. Also, since the code didnt get transferred we can look fwd. to a new direction with the game. Hopefully, they'll axe the artwork as well.

Comment

Its more a rumor really. The newbite you have says that Cryptic is looking into picking up P2 employees and did not comment on if they actually recieved the STO license.

They're also working on Marvel Universe right now so the two might not be compatible.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I played TrekMUSHes for a VERY long time (all through high school, basically) and I have to say, I really don't think a graphical interface could accurately convey and make possible the role-playing necessary for the Trek universe.

DaBrit

By Any Means
            [/url]

Comment

Mmm...TrekMUSHes and MUDs are so very interesting. Nothing beats playing the 3rd Engineering officer incharge of overseeeing the warp manifolds in the aft section of the ship just so you can relay that information to the Chief Engineer who relays that to the operations on the bridge. Or being the ship's doctor monitoring environmental conditions and biometrics from the sick bay half hoping and dreading someone coming to visit you with an injury. ^_^

I think the main problem with a STO game would be that there will be too many heroes and not enough extras. Just like how SWGs refused to open with Jedi being an option and only later seemed to add it as a fanservice. If everyone was a Jedi (or in STO's case a Starship Captain) it would lose the prestige attached to such a position that made it so cool in the first place.

If you're hardcore enough to play with text only as a crewmember then you'll get turned off by every other person in the world having their own starship as a captain.

Comment

Well It was always a false hope that Star Trek Online would come out under this crappy company. It's time to move on to better games like AOC.
                Proud Battlefield 2142 Player Since November 21st, 2006

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X