Dog bitten

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog bitten

Well i took my husky/german shepard over to my parents to run around. There is a "stray" Boxer that has been coming around and does not bother my parents retriever. Well today my dog(bandit) was defending the grounds, as a german shepard would, and got into it pretty heavy with that Boxer.

My dog was covered in blood, but it was not his own. I take him home and give him a bath looking him over, he had a small bite on his front paw and one near his ear. Nothing that would cause that much blood to be on him. I did not get a look at that Boxer but told my dad if i see it again, its getting "taken care of".

My question is should i be worried about the bites, Im not to concerned because the boxer is a missing dog for someone local, but they cant ever catch it. But then again I am concerned because he is only 20months old, and has never really been aggressive like that. He has stood his ground on other occasions when a dog has come to close to me, but thats it.

After I brought him home I did keep him away from my son so he could settle down and rest. Would it be wise to take him to the vet and get some blood work done, or just wait and see what happens?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Dog bitten

It couldn't hurt to get your dog checked out. There's no telling what kind of diseases a stray might have picked up. Sounds like you got a good dog there, I wouldn't chance it for anything.
    | | |

Comment

Just wait and see if there may be any changes in his behavior. My St. Bernard use to get into scraps all the time with any dog coming and going. I never seen him starting them either, he always wanted to play till the other dog got out of line. He thought they would be playing till they got him close to the throat and then that was usually all it was to get him going. He was a very friendly dog at that and loved being around people and kids, played with the other animals we had on the farm with no problems.
      Dogs that are healthy can heal fast from some pretty extensive wounds. You probably won't even notice any damage in a week. The only huge concern I would have is rabies, if it is a stray dog there is the slight chance it may have rabies. I am sure you seen the dog real good and could determine though if he looked like he was might have had it. Of course that doesn't mean anything by looking but may help relieve you of any worries. Maybe take him to the vet for a booster in the rabie shot or call the vet first and see what they may think(of course you know they will say bring him in to be sure so they can get money from you).

Oh, in the process of moving from MD to WV my St. Bernard was being watched by my aunt and my mother. My mother had some surgery done and my aunt's boyfriend was taking care of the dog. He made a mistake of kicking at him one day and he growled at him. My aunt ended up calling the animal shelter up and they took him away. When I got back to MD and was told I went to the animal shelter right away. They had him for just 3 days and already found a home for him and said they could not and would not give the new owners the address.

Comment

Shouldn't you call Animal control to get the Boxer picked up? They could check it for disease. I assume your dog is up to date with it's shots?
        New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
          Shouldn't you call Animal control to get the Boxer picked up? They could check it for disease. I assume your dog is up to date with it's shots?
          He is up to date. We did call the dog warden, and he said that if he sees the dog when he comes around he will pick it up, but he wont wait around for it. That statement doesn't entirely surprise me, I graduated from high school with the guy, hes not exactly the most energetic or gung-ho person.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
            He is up to date. We did call the dog warden, and he said that if he sees the dog when he comes around he will pick it up, but he wont wait around for it. That statement doesn't entirely surprise me, I graduated from high school with the guy, hes not exactly the most energetic or gung-ho person.
            lol

i hope your dog ends up being OK, i expect that if it is a domestic animal(the boxer) that is running around, it should be up to its shots as well, if anything, the injured dog probably limped home to its owners where it knows it can get attention(hopefully, tramping dog or not, i wouldnt want it to suffer)