Monterey, CA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey, CA

The Navy has requested that I move to the Monterey Peninsula at the end of February after I complete my 7 week crash course in Meteorology here in lovely Gulfport, MS (at least it is 2 hours closer to New Orleans than Pensacola, FL).

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips on where to look for a place and/or places to avoid?

Re: Monterey, CA

Sounds like someone is going to be spending some quality time at the Naval Postgraduate School! I'd give my right arm to live in Monterey. I dont really have any particular suggestions on housing, but make sure you go eat at the Clock Garden restaurant (it's on Abrego St. if I remember correctly, its been about 10 years). I'll check with my parents, who are a bit more familiar with the area, and see if I can dig you up some advice on housing.

Other than that, congratulations. Monterey is a hell of a duty station, most people kill for it.

Comment

You'll love it there. It's expensive; you've got Pebble Beach and Carmel right nearby. There are several realties that do timeshare/rent by the week type things (online walkthroughs and everything), you could go early and set up, learn the lay of the land and look for a good deal. Older parts of town, and inland gets cheaper and are often good deals if you can fix them up.

Don't worry about termites anymore--ask about earthquake code-compliant footings, erosion/drainage problems, and take a look at the soil maps of the area for shrink/swell potential. You're on an emergent coastline now, no river deposits or granite bedrock--just clays over sandstone. (What--I got a Geology minor, I can't help it!) Look out for big old Monterey Cypress--they can be a big expense because they usually blow over before they die of old age.

It's one of the more beautiful parts of the planet I've been to. I think you're going to love it.
      sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

I'll actually be working here, at the Fleet Numerical Center. I've been redesignated (long story) as a Meteorology/Oceanography Officer.

Comment

Monterey is awesome place to live, I was there for 2 years and enjoyed the heck out of it. As for places to live, it becomes a issue of what you can afford. There is some that is reasonable, but remember it is a tourist town. You will probably have to look around to find something in your budget. That being said, I would avoid Del Monte Heights simply because it is a rougher neighborhood, it is on the north side of town which butts up against old Ft. Ord. Another thing to be cautious about is the far east side of town, you will never get a good night sleep there, Laguna Seca raceway is noisy as hell and they have races every weekend.

Overall a lot will depend on how long you are going to stay there. If it is a temporary stay, not over 5 years, simple go with a apartment downtown and enjoy yourself. You will avoid the traffic and can easily get around to all the good restaurants and happenings going on.

If they still have it available, you can always go with Navy housing at Ord. Nothing like free housing!!
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
            I'll actually be working here, at the Fleet Numerical Center. I've been redesignated (long story) as a Meteorology/Oceanography Officer.
            Well, theres no better place to study oceanography. Well, I suppose someplace like Woods Hole might have better facilities, but this is monterey. On the flip side, I remember someone telling me you were in the aviation pipeline (before the change obviously), any truth to that?

Comment

Holy smokes! From Gulfport, MS, to Monterey, CA are you kidding? The only analogy I can give is that your moving from hell to heaven. Talk about polar opposites - in every way - weather, geography, culture, things to do.

Monterey is about as nice of a place as you could live in CA - besides Santa Monica :)
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

LOL, I clicked on the link to the Numerical Center and got a certificate warning in Mozilla. Someone should explain to the Navy how Internet security works. (Hint: It uses math.) :p

I've been to Monterey a few times on day trips, mostly to see the famous aquarium and to hike the parks along the beach. The Sardine Factory is an excellent, if expensive, place to eat.

Alas, it's about two hours drive from San Francisco, but that can be both a good and bad thing. There's also Solvang for scenery. (I don't recall the distance, just that I did a driving tour down the coast that went through Monterey and Solvang on the way to LA and San Diego.)

Monterey is also close to garlic and artichoke country. So expect some good festivals.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Monterey (and it's neighbor Pacific Grove) are fantastic places, albeit quite pricey.

There are lots of things to do and see within moderate driving distances, but there is also a lot of tourist traffic that keeps up prices but rewards you with lots of fine restaurants, etc. You'll be close to the famed Pebble Beach golf course...along with others.

Your biggest challenge will be affordable housing. My friend (who spent many months there learning Mandarin Chinese at the Defense Language Institute) found a decent apartment in Pacific Grove. I'm sure if you ask around you'll get good advice about where to look and what to expect. Sticker shock is one pretty certain result.:row__628:
                  Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Wow, that is nice to hear. I am up in San Francisco only 2-2.5 hours from Monterey. I am a regular visitor to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Point Lobos.
                    You will find housing prices on the coast high relative to the rest of the country; itís just the way it is in California coastal towns. I donít think you can do all that bad as far as neighborhoods just try to stay on the coast so you donít have to commute from Salinas or Prundale. Fort Ord is now Cal State Monterey Bay so I am sure you could find some roomies if you need.

If you have any questions or need a hand with the move PM me Id love to help if I can. We have a fair amount of TG around the bay area.

Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

I was actually born in Fort Ord, but don't really remember it much. I do remember the "Dennis the Menace" playground though...I had some really good times there:). So be sure you check that out! Also, I remember my Dad talking about Clint Eastwoods Restaurant and how cool that was.
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

There is pretty heavy gang activity in some of the satalite cities around Monterey. Salinas and Castrovile come to mind off the top of my head. There are quite a few JROTC groups in the area also so you could always drop by and act all superior with the kiddies if you feel inclined to do so.

I remember when the Army, Navy, and Marines all came to visit my school at the same time. They were having competitions in the PR rig the Army brought with the virtual M16 gun range. Poor students were left out, but I think the Marines etched out a win and got a promise of free beer from the Navy and Army with a score of 9 bullseyes and a 99.
                        My sanity is not in question...
                        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                          I was actually born in Fort Ord, but don't really remember it much.
                          I have a little movie in my head of you being delivered by a DI.

"Get down on the floor, woman, and give me 50! <gasp> No! Not babies!" :p
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

http://www.laguna-seca.com/ is just around the corner. Its a nice way to spend an afternoon when you get sick of all the damm Sea otters at http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

Sarcoma
                            Sarcoma.

Comment

I was in the flight program but some untimely medical problems forced me out this past summer.

The funny thing is that while I was medically unable to fly, I was more than physically qualified for the Navy to put me up for IA (Individual Augmentee), which essentially means you become a soldier in the army for a year (training plus boots on ground). IAs generally fill support roles so the army can get more higher qualified troops into the field. I was set to go three different times in the past 6 months but each one was ultimately canceled before I got to leave Pensacola. This constant uncertainty and the summer weather were the main two reasons I've rarely played games.

In the past my contract with the Navy (owe them 4 years for my NROTC scholarship that paid for college) would've have been nulled once I was dropped from the flight program and I would've simply walked out into the civilian world. Now, because there is such a shortage of officers and the Navy isn't willing to lose its $120,000 investment, I had to redesignate. Essientially, I make a list of 3-5 Navy communities I would like to join and those choices along with my file/college transcript go to a Redesignation Board. There the respective officers from each community look over the files and decide who wants who wants to pick up which selectee. As it turned out, METOC was in need of bodies, they like officers coming from the aviation community since we already have a basic understanding of forecasts and know how to read METARs and TAFs, I had good grades at Villanova albeit in History and they were on my list. So thats pretty much how I've ended up here.

Now that I've laid out my past 6 months, I do thank everyone for their input. I'm pretty much looking to rent in Pacific Grove, Monterey or Seaside.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X