Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining The Navy!!! Need Tips and Advice!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining The Navy!!! Need Tips and Advice!!

If Anybody been in the US Navy I was just wondering how hard is basic training. I plan on doing an administrative job cause they have the most flexible hours since I want to get my bachelors as soon as possible. After I obtain a degree I will become a pilot and specialize in fighter type aircraft. If anybody been in the navy please tell me what things I need to know to prepare for the Navy and if this is the right way to go if I want to become a pilot. Thanks :)

Re: Joining The Navy!!! Need Tips and Advice!!

Going enlisted is an EXCELLENT way to ensure your pilot slot. Only difference I would recommend is to try and go for an enlisted aircrew position. Lots of those on the P-3's, C-130's, etc. It's good to be exposed to the aircrew life, the aircraft systems, and working with every aspect of the flightline and towers. Not only will you gain excellent hands on aircraft experience, but you'll get tons of direct pilot/officer recommendations. It's harder to get your degree this way with the longer and wilder hours, but it is possible. In my squadron, every loadmaster who's wanted to be a pilot, got their degree and private pilots license have become pilots. In fact, one of my best friends, whom I went to basic training with back in '01, just got hired on in the same squadron as a pilot. They see how we work, know us, and know we won't be a high risk when they sink tons of money into training. It's a safe bet for the military.

Now my experience has been in the Air Force. I can't speak for the Navy, but from what I've seen, Aircrew is aircrew. We had lots of pilots in our squadron who came from Marines, Army, Navy, and Coast Guard. No matter which path you choose, just keep your eye on the prize and don't give up. If the Navy denies you a slot, go check out your other options. Don't only accept one airframe either. Be flexible. You might want to fly one thing, but might have to fly something else until availability for your aircraft opens up. Good luck and hop to it!
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Thanks this is very helpful. By the way do you know the exact name of the Aircrew position that flys on AC130's e.t.c Because i want to go to the Navy recruiting center and tell them what I want to do. If they don't have that position i might consider my second choice for aviation which is the Air Force cause they have better living conditions and more recreational activities.

Comment

MH, if you're going to be on later tonight, I'll post some good information for you courtesy of my mom (she's a retired Navy Commander, former CO of Naval Recruiting District San Francisco, so she knows everything about it). As far as getting your degree, are you considering doing an enlisted tour then getting out and going ROTC or Academy or are you going to try and go ECP/OCS?

Comment

Do reserve officers get payed more than officers?

Comment

Dont let the "reserve" part of ROTC (which for those that dont know stands for Reserve Officer Training Corps) fool you. ROTC programs are a pipeline straight to active duty. You go to college and the military pays for it, and as soon as you graduate, you are commissioned as an O-1 (Ensign in the navy) on active duty. You're required to do a minimum of 4 years to "pay back" your scholarship, but it's highly worth it.

As far as Reserves vs. Active Duty, reservists make less, but thats due to the fact that the military income is supplemental to whatever they're making from their civilian career.

Comment

Navy basic training isn't hard. The only ones that failed while I was there where ones that didn't want to make it. And even some of them got through boot camp.

I put on about 30 pounds during my basic training. Got fat and lazy.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I hear the Navy has the best food...
                "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."

Comment

First, the Navy does not fly AC130s.

Here are some Enlisted to Officer Program Links.

As to gaining a pilot slot, it depends on a number of different pieces. Each commissioning source is allotted a percentage of the aviation spots. So in the end you aren't competing against everyone but rather within your commissioning pool. Being enlisted doesn't necessarily add to your package. You will have actual fleet fitreps that will add to your package but those will only help if they are very good. If you go the academy or NROTC route you will start the selection process your 3rd year of college. if you go through OCS you will submit your selection before you begin.

The biggest thing is the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery). To be strongly competitive you need to score 6, 6, 6 out of the best possible 8, 8, 8. You can get the test guide book at your local Bookstore. You will want to practice a number of times before you take the test. Next are your grades. If you have a technical major you receive bonus points to your GPA for difficulty. Last is your aptitude score. This is where your fitreps would fit in. One thing to pay attention to is your medical record. No matter the path you decide to take, make sure your medical record is as complete and accurate as possible. You can even go as far as having your own personal copies of everything.

If its financially possible I would recommend getting your pilot's license. Again, like enlisted fitreps, its not going to really give you a big leg up but it will definitely help you once you get to pensacola. Back when I was starting the flight program IFS, Introductory Flight Screening, took place after your commissioning, during if you are at the Academy, at your commissioning source. Now, all IFS takes place in the Pensacola area. Unfortunately there are too few civilian schools and not enough instructors at the schools to get everyone through in a timely manner so you end up sitting around for months. If you already have your pilots license you do not have to go through IFS (you receive 25 flight hours plus ground school) and thus get to start API sooner. You want to get through as fast as possible.

As far as selecting what platform you want to fly, that does not happen until after primary. Your selection there will depend on your flight score. Your score is adjusted on a scale compared to those who graduated within the past month. The number of slots for each platform varies week to week so unless you have an outstanding score there is no guarantee to what you get. The best thing to do is focus on your own work, not worry about your scores, and keep an open mind.

If you are dead set towards flying I would recommend going for it as a Marine. As long as you qualify, you will receive a guaranteed flight spot. You will have to complete TBS before you start flight training however.

As I've stated a number of times on the board here, I went through NROTC so that is where my expertise lies.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
                    If you are dead set towards flying I would recommend going for it as a Marine. As long as you qualify, you will receive a guaranteed flight spot. You will have to complete TBS before you start flight training however.
                    Great advice! Some of my pilots who were former Marines told me that out of all the services, the Marines were actually the best when it comes to fulfilling promises such as pilot slots. Remember though, OTS is like 12 weeks, and TBS is like another 6 months I believe. I could be wrong tho. Oh and it's true that living standards are generally higher in the Air Force, BUT when you are aircrew, you get better standards of living no matter what branch you are in. In fact whenever I'd fly a mission, the enlisted almost always got to stay in Officer Quarters at all bases. At least that was my experience.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Anybody know the washout rate of Navy Pilots?

The story I always heard while in the Navy was about 75% would not make it to an actual duty station. That includes everything like physical, academic, mental and legal problems from the time the person signs on the dotted line. I just a bit worse then the failure rate of nukes.
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

definitely not that high. I'd put the high estimate around 40%. Which is still pretty high, especially considering the amount of money that gets invested. Also, the Navy used to just say goodbye to anyone who didn't make it, but now they are making you hold up your original commitment, 4 years instead of the 8 you would've owed if you had received your wings.

Comment

Mentioning nukes makes me wonder if flying an attack sub might be a fun job.

But I'm an engineer by nature and have more fun looking at instruments than the scenery, so I'd probably be happier in the engine room or in a hangar getting craft flight-ready. (Not that I knew that at 18.)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

A lot of money can be made by being a nuke in the Navy. Unfortunately, the money is so good that people haven't been leaving the Navy and now the community has too many senior officer so the community is forced to release a lot of LTs.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
                              A lot of money can be made by being a nuke in the Navy. Unfortunately, the money is so good that people haven't been leaving the Navy and now the community has too many senior officer so the community is forced to release a lot of LTs.
                              Wow, that is a change from my time. Enlisted and dorks, I mean officers, had pretty high turn over rates. We where actaully short quite a few people and many divisions where working eight and fours (eight hours work, four hours off).

Wonder what has changed?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X