X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Tech, Suicide And World Of Warcraft

A friend sent me this article and I just thought I'd share:

http://news.filefront.com/virginia-t...d-of-warcraft/

I think this spells out quite well how TG is more of a community than most "outsiders" might think, and although it's a sad story I'm sure if someone here were in the same situation we would have tried to do the same thing.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: Virginia Tech, Suicide And World Of Warcraft

Call me mean, but....

No sympathy, good riddance, natural selection at its finest.

But yeah, I guess it's a good thing that his online buddies tried to help him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy From Hell View Post
      Call me mean, but....

No sympathy, good riddance, natural selection at its finest.

But yeah, I guess it's a good thing that his online buddies tried to help him.
      We don't always know how we react to situations until we are actually in them. Being that you don't know exactly everything that went on in his life, thats a bit harsh. I have a feeling he killed himself for bigger reasons than just videogames. Possibly family or school problems.

Comment

Nobody kills themselves over a video game.... and no health person invests their life into one either.. people who have other problems bearing down on them find escape in a life of video games.... whatever this kids problems were, his excessive gaming was symptomatic of his attempts to avoid them, not the cause or even a contributing component to his problem.

And i say this as a very avid gamer ... theres a fine line between i love video games and i play all day so i dont have to think about whats bothering me.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I don't know anything about why that poor kid offed himself...it's sad regardless...but...for WOW in general...man..there are so many dramatically inclined posts about who's playing what and why...can't commit to raiding, I'm unworthy to be in the guild...gonna have to give it up for RL....type of posts...reading through them makes me wonder how you WOW guys and gals...no disrespect intended...deal with the drama...it overhwhelms me and I'm not even a part of the scene...The other day I saw a post on the WOW forums asking guild squad members to do a peer review of their teamates so they could identify where they are weakest...what the heck I said to myself...now that's dedication but to me it doesn't sound fun to struggle with those issues and I wonder what's keeping the WOW player happy enough to keep at it. No disrespect intended mind you...I have zero experience with the game and recognize this colors my viewpoint. Hey..regardless we're all TG'ers whatever title you play.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

After playing WOW for the first two years it was out I can speak with "some" authority. Being in a raiding guild is a lot like planning for and playing in a scrim on an everyday occurence. I hope that puts it in perspective for you. A ton of time and effort is put into your character and into your guild. People obsess over their equipment and their "status" in game. No offense to any of the WOW members here as I am sure not all of you are like this. Don't get me wrong the game itself can be very entertaining if played with a bunch of individuals that you know. I had a blast for my two years spent in wow, but the time and toll it takes to "compete" in a raiding guild was not the time sink I was willing to make.

I hope some of the WOW TG'ers make a stop here to comment. I hope I did not paint you all in a negative light as that was not my intention. I know that no one has to join a guild or put a ton of time into the game..etc..etc. It is all how you play it though.
            "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuoz250rdrK View Post
              We don't always know how we react to situations until we are actually in them. Being that you don't know exactly everything that went on in his life, thats a bit harsh. I have a feeling he killed himself for bigger reasons than just videogames. Possibly family or school problems.
              I'm guessing one of them might be a lack of meaningful (aka close) real life friends. At least that's what partially drives me towards video games (online gaming). So it could be hard to say for him.
              Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-27-2008, 12:50 PM.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I too played WoW when it came out and spent a considerable time trading in life of raiding gear. It was entertaining up until participating in a guild like that became necessary to enjoyment...and even then, once I joined one, the drama, the pressure, the criticism, the stress, it all eventually outweighed any sense of entertainment I once held for the game. When I realized I was playing the game to please a bunch of other people I really didn't like in the hopes of attaining more raiding gear so I could continue playing with a bunch of people I didn't really like...I promptly quit. But...I gotta admit...my undead rogue DID look pretty pimpin by the time I left. :D
                | | |

Comment

I quit World of warcraft after my guild started to spent 6hrs+ in Molten Core raiding for purple pixels. (No offense to Wow gamers, I just couldn't spend that long attached to a computer.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuoz250rdrK View Post
                    Regardless of his reasons, I don't feel sympathy for people who are suicidal or have committed suicide. There are ALWAYS better ways to deal with your problems and there is ALWAYS help for you, so I just don't feel sorry for people who kill themselves - unless it was an accidental suicide... well.. as long as it wasn't a stupid accidental suicide like Darwin Awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy From Hell View Post
                      Regardless of his reasons, I don't feel sympathy for people who are suicidal or have committed suicide. There are ALWAYS better ways to deal with your problems and there is ALWAYS help for you, so I just don't feel sorry for people who kill themselves - unless it was an accidental suicide... well.. as long as it wasn't a stupid accidental suicide like Darwin Awards.
                      People who commit suicide, more often than not, do so for reasons beyond their personal control. Most suicidal tendancies are born from chemical imbalances within the brain and are in no way associated to personal choice or freewill. Usually, those who may believe they want to make that choice to kill themselves (on their own freewill) often times are unsuccessful in their attempt because the normal human instinct is self-preservation, not self-destruction.

Your statements completely lack compassion or any understanding of mental illness. But that may be a good sign that you, yourself, suffer from no form of mental illness or may have never known anyone who suffers themselves. This is not a bad thing. But you obviously do not understand people who do and perhaps before taking such a harsh stance on the matter, you would do well to at least try to understand it.
                      | | |

Comment

Daniel was one of my best friends when we were growing up, in elementary school.

RIP holmes
                        |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011202871.html

It's a much better read than this one.
                          |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
                            After playing WOW for the first two years it was out I can speak with "some" authority. Being in a raiding guild is a lot like planning for and playing in a scrim on an everyday occurence. I hope that puts it in perspective for you. A ton of time and effort is put into your character and into your guild.
                            A fair assessment. I liken it to real life sports, as well. Consider the people who prepare for televised sports, whether it be pro football, golf, or the Olympics.

Even those more "relaxed" players are still investing a similar level of involvement to those playing darts, cards, and pool at the local pub every night, or someone in a bowling league.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

That really sucks!!! :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse