Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things you learn from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale :row__690:

Share some of your favorite informative/funny/weird Wikipedia articles!

Btw, type 3 ftw!

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Re: The things you learn from Wikipedia

What no more measuring in Courics?

Here's another one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian_language

So thats how the dogs talked in the movies.... Random name i think.....
    "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

I'm sorry you had to find out about the stool scale. My learning experience with it was grading 10 or so geriatric patients' defecation with it.

I had hoped to never heard of it again outside the hospital. :(

It's not an article anymore, but I originally learned of it on Wikipedia:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com (NSFW, highly offensive, incredibly funny)
      ---------------
      Doc-in-training

Comment

I was reading a Linux mailing list and found the author of the Reiser filesystem is now on trial for murdering his (missing) wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          I was reading a Linux mailing list and found the author of the Reiser filesystem is now on trial for murdering his (missing) wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser
          Yeah, 'dateline mysteries' did a show on him and WIRED ran a huge article on him as well.

Random Wikipedia Biography
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Just whatever you do, don't type 'Doctor Who' or 'Star wars' into Wikipedia, you will be reading for hours!!
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
              Just whatever you do, don't type 'Doctor Who' or 'Star wars' into Wikipedia, you will be reading for hours!!
              Hey, sometimes I do this on purpose when I'm REALLY bored at work. You just keep following links over and over and next thing you know it's time to go home =D
              "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
              -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
                Hey, sometimes I do this on purpose when I'm REALLY bored at work. You just keep following links over and over and next thing you know it's time to go home =D
                I did that in a geography lesson- wanted to find out what Apophis really meant, it's an asteroid that may hit Earth in 2036. The article mentioned the 880 megaton blast, clicked it to find out about tons/kilotons/megatons/gigatons/teratons/petatons etc. Followed links to Tunguska blast, Russian 'Ivan' Tsar Bomb. Before I knew it it was time to print out my 'work' from the lesson. :)

So yeah, thats what I learned (learnt?) from Wikipedia today.
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Uh, Apophis is the greek transliteration of the Egyptian Apep, a great serpent that wraps around the horizon and seeks to devour the sun (identified with the god Rä). Apep was the closest analogue to a devil in Egyptian lore, so great a threat that Rä's brother and enemy Set (god of the western no-mans-land, which is today Libya) would join forces with Rä and Horus to keep Apep under control. (Note the connection that Set's domain is in the west, where the sun, Rä, sets and would be vulnerable to Apep's attack.)

The rock is named after the Egyptian figure.

Comment

Our leader shall destroy us all.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Some of us base our entire education on Wikipedia :o
                      Skud

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompleteness_theorem

If you can work your way through the above, you will gain huge insight into how EVERYTHING works. I love that page as a starting point for a good hour of wiki browsing.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                          Uh, Apophis is the greek transliteration of the Egyptian Apep, a great serpent that wraps around the horizon and seeks to devour the sun (identified with the god Rä). Apep was the closest analogue to a devil in Egyptian lore, so great a threat that Rä's brother and enemy Set (god of the western no-mans-land, which is today Libya) would join forces with Rä and Horus to keep Apep under control. (Note the connection that Set's domain is in the west, where the sun, Rä, sets and would be vulnerable to Apep's attack.)

The rock is named after the Egyptian figure.
                          Dude, Apophis is the black Goa'uld on Stargate SG-1 who died in seasons 2, and for real in 3. He was the most dominant Goa'uld in the galaxy two different times - the second time after he was brought back to life in season 2 by Sokar to be tortured for eternity. he escaped and took over all of Sokar's territoy, but his hatred of SG-1 took him to his final demise however, when he tried to overrun earth and his mothership was infested with replicators, eventually destoying it and Apophis along with it.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                            Dude, Apophis is the black Goa'uld on Stargate SG-1 who died in seasons 2, and for real in 3. He was the most dominant Goa'uld in the galaxy two different times - the second time after he was brought back to life in season 2 by Sokar to be tortured for eternity. he escaped and took over all of Sokar's territoy, but his hatred of SG-1 took him to his final demise however, when he tried to overrun earth and his mothership was infested with replicators, eventually destoying it and Apophis along with it.
                            Apparently the guys who named the asteroid were big fans of Stargate...
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

What I learned from wiki:

Whereas wiki may be useless for any kind of information based on anything relevant, if you're interested in how many love-affairs Rogue from X-Men had or how many shades of purple Barny the Dinosaur has been through on his TV stints: wiki is your savior.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X