PS3 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Questions

Hey guys, I just got my Tax Return and after settling all my debts I have some spare cash and am considering a PS3. Anyone have any compliments/gripes about them? Also, I don't understand the point of the harddrive space. Is there a reason to get the 80g above the 60g or 20g? I know I DO NOT want a 40g because I still have a lot of PS2 games that I like to play. Any input will be appreciated. =)

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Re: PS3 Questions

Originally posted by caldsteven View Post
    Hey guys, I just got my Tax Return and after settling all my debts I have some spare cash and am considering a PS3. Anyone have any compliments/gripes about them? Also, I don't understand the point of the harddrive space. Is there a reason to get the 80g above the 60g or 20g? I know I DO NOT want a 40g because I still have a lot of PS2 games that I like to play. Any input will be appreciated. =)
    Only complaint I have is the small library of games compared to the other consoles.

The hard drive space is useful for different things. From the PS Store you can download games and game demos, these will be stored on your HD. You can also partition your drive and install a Linux operating system on your PS3 and use it as a computer. Also you can replace your hard drive with a larger one if you really wanted to.

Comment

Ok, so I could get the 20g and still play PS2 game without a problem right? (Big Bonus for me is I work at Movie Gallery and get Free Rentals on the PS3 games =P)

Comment

Ok, so I could get the 20g and still play PS2 game without a problem right? (Big Bonus for me is I work at Movie Gallery and get Free Rentals on the PS3 games =P)
        The 20GB and 60GB are the same I believe and both should be fully backwards compatible. Check this out for specific title's compatibility.

Comment

Thank you very much! Not only did you help clear up my questions but saved me like $60 with the Upgrade Harddrive information :row__523:

Comment

Thank you very much! Not only did you help clear up my questions but saved me like $60 with the Upgrade Harddrive information :row__523:
            The console uses a 2.5" SATA Notebook HDD, which are slightly on the expensive side (about $100 for 160GB).

Comment

Yea, but I can get the 80g for around $60, plus I think I already have one sitting at home =)

Comment

I think it is also possible to stick an external harddrive into this as either an additional harddrive or to replace the internal one (most likely the latter).

Comment

I just bought the PS3 myself. I went with the 80Gb after doing a side by side comparison on the 40Gb and the 80Gb PS3's. http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/specs
                  t isn't many games out yet for the PS3 but expect it will be. If you go online there are enough games to keep a person occupied for a while. There are a couple of differences in the 2 models as you can see. Like the 4 USB ports on the 80Gb and the slots for other memry sticks. After looking at the price I thought that these little extra features may be needed later down the road and the fact a game that cost almost $60(depending on where you get it from that is) comes with it was not really that bad.
                  So far I am pleased with my PS3, I have it hooked wirelessly to the internet and play online sometimes with it.
                  My friend has an Xbox360 and I had played it also but I did not care for it. The controllers just did not feel right to me and he also said for him to connect to the internet wirelessly he would need to buy another part that cost about $100 which I thought that was funny how everybody said the Xbox360 is cheaper, not after you start figuring in the stuff you need to buy to make it almost the same as the PS3.
                  You can use an extermal hard drive just it needs to be formatted in FAT32.

Comment

if and when you want to swap out the internal 2.5'' hard drive, (aside from any saves or downloads) you pop in the new one, and the hardware of the ps3 will install the system os (xmb) onto the new one, its up to you to get your saves on the hard drive from there tho