*Be Advised, you are about to enter a rant thread*
Sometimes I really wish I would have went to college instead of joining the military. The following events happened to me in the past week.
1) As most of you know, I was scheduled to leave Korea in the beginning of March. I started out processing and getting alot of stuff squared away. I find out that I got orders to Nellis AFB and was really pissed that they took my follow-on base away from me(Hurlburt Field, FL). Ok, not a big deal...at least I am leaving Korea. So go to MPF (Military personnel flight) to get my orders, and they inform me that I am not leaving until June.
"How could this be?.. it is a one-year tour" I ask the stubborn MSgt that smells like stale cigarettes and coffee.
"It says here they pushed your DEROS(date eligible to return from overseas) back to your DOS(date of separation) of June 18."
I was already aware of this. I did not have enough retainability so they pushed my DEROS back to my DOS. After I re-enlisted, I filled out all the necessary paperwork to get it changed back to March. Everything was going as planned until I get the e-mail stating that AFPC (Air Force Personnel Center) never received my package. Our stupid MRF folks never sent it off. As I am talking to the crusty MSgt, I still see the manila folder with all my information and paperwork...STILL SITTING ON HIS DESK. I ask him if he sent the paperwork off and he said yes.
"Then what the hell is that!" as I pointed to the package
"Oh....where did that come from?" he said in a confused voice.
"From me, about 4 months ago!...You stupid <expletive>!"
So instead of apologizing to me, he started yelling at me because he was a Senior NCO and I was just a junior NCO. After about 15 minutes of him telling me how awesome he is, I just walked out of the office with my middle finger in the air. He calls my boss and told him all this. My boss laughed at him and told him to <expletive> himself. It did not end there, he called my 1st Sgt and told him and I had to go explain what happened. All I got was basically a slap on the hand and blah blah blah.
So I officially stuck here until the middle of June!
2) It snowed 2" Thursday and we were in a mad scramble to get the Airfield plowed and cleared. The day before, I called weather and asked for a forecast. They said "No chance of snow and clear skies". I went home and went to bed with the notion that everything will be fine. 3am comes around...I get a call saying that it is snowing and I need to get on the Airfield and start brooming it. This is not a big deal to me, but I guess it is to everyone else. It only snowed 2 freaking inches and people are freaking out. To top it all off, 90% of our equipment were broke down within the first hour of snow removal operations. I wasn't worried because I knew once the sun came out, it will all melt within an hour. But still, I kept the runway and taxiways cleared with only 2 plows, one grader, and 2 brooms. I get back to my shop 5 hours later and was informed that I had to report to the Group Commander. I walk into his office and he immediatly started yelling at me. Saying that the ENTIRE AIRFIELD should have been cleared off in 3 hours and that it was all my fault that equipment broke down. I am not one to be yelled at and it took everything for me not to start screaming at him back. So I just stood there...taking it. He asked me what I should have done better. I told him... "Sir, I sometimes <expletive> happens. I really don't know what to tell you other than let me do my <expletive> job and I will make do with what I got." I guess offended him something fierce and he called my 1st Sgt. Now this is the second time the 1stSgt has been called about me being a smart-ass to the wrong people. So I get a talking to and everything is alright (that I know of anyway;)). I tell him that I am in a pissy mood anyway because I have to stay here for 4 more months.
So lessons learned are...
1. Don't be a smart-ass with people of higher rank
2. Make sure you do everyone else's job when it affects you.
3. Don't trust anyone!
4. Whining doesn't do a damn thing.
5. Don't go to Korea...you will NEVER get out!