No announcement yet.

Damn...sometimes I hate the Air Force!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn...sometimes I hate the Air Force!

*Be Advised, you are about to enter a rant thread*

Sometimes I really wish I would have went to college instead of joining the military. The following events happened to me in the past week.

1) As most of you know, I was scheduled to leave Korea in the beginning of March. I started out processing and getting alot of stuff squared away. I find out that I got orders to Nellis AFB and was really pissed that they took my follow-on base away from me(Hurlburt Field, FL). Ok, not a big deal...at least I am leaving Korea. So go to MPF (Military personnel flight) to get my orders, and they inform me that I am not leaving until June.

"How could this be?.. it is a one-year tour" I ask the stubborn MSgt that smells like stale cigarettes and coffee.

"It says here they pushed your DEROS(date eligible to return from overseas) back to your DOS(date of separation) of June 18."

I was already aware of this. I did not have enough retainability so they pushed my DEROS back to my DOS. After I re-enlisted, I filled out all the necessary paperwork to get it changed back to March. Everything was going as planned until I get the e-mail stating that AFPC (Air Force Personnel Center) never received my package. Our stupid MRF folks never sent it off. As I am talking to the crusty MSgt, I still see the manila folder with all my information and paperwork...STILL SITTING ON HIS DESK. I ask him if he sent the paperwork off and he said yes.

"Then what the hell is that!" as I pointed to the package

"Oh....where did that come from?" he said in a confused voice.

"From me, about 4 months ago!...You stupid <expletive>!"

So instead of apologizing to me, he started yelling at me because he was a Senior NCO and I was just a junior NCO. After about 15 minutes of him telling me how awesome he is, I just walked out of the office with my middle finger in the air. He calls my boss and told him all this. My boss laughed at him and told him to <expletive> himself. It did not end there, he called my 1st Sgt and told him and I had to go explain what happened. All I got was basically a slap on the hand and blah blah blah.

So I officially stuck here until the middle of June!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) It snowed 2" Thursday and we were in a mad scramble to get the Airfield plowed and cleared. The day before, I called weather and asked for a forecast. They said "No chance of snow and clear skies". I went home and went to bed with the notion that everything will be fine. 3am comes around...I get a call saying that it is snowing and I need to get on the Airfield and start brooming it. This is not a big deal to me, but I guess it is to everyone else. It only snowed 2 freaking inches and people are freaking out. To top it all off, 90% of our equipment were broke down within the first hour of snow removal operations. I wasn't worried because I knew once the sun came out, it will all melt within an hour. But still, I kept the runway and taxiways cleared with only 2 plows, one grader, and 2 brooms. I get back to my shop 5 hours later and was informed that I had to report to the Group Commander. I walk into his office and he immediatly started yelling at me. Saying that the ENTIRE AIRFIELD should have been cleared off in 3 hours and that it was all my fault that equipment broke down. I am not one to be yelled at and it took everything for me not to start screaming at him back. So I just stood there...taking it. He asked me what I should have done better. I told him... "Sir, I sometimes <expletive> happens. I really don't know what to tell you other than let me do my <expletive> job and I will make do with what I got." I guess offended him something fierce and he called my 1st Sgt. Now this is the second time the 1stSgt has been called about me being a smart-ass to the wrong people. So I get a talking to and everything is alright (that I know of anyway;)). I tell him that I am in a pissy mood anyway because I have to stay here for 4 more months.

So lessons learned are...

1. Don't be a smart-ass with people of higher rank
    2. Make sure you do everyone else's job when it affects you.
    3. Don't trust anyone!
    4. Whining doesn't do a damn thing.
    5. Don't go to Korea...you will NEVER get out!
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Damn...sometimes I hate the Air Force!

I feel your pain, those of us who served (me included) have all had a similar miserable experience at one time or another. Too bad about Nellis, it would have been nice to have you here at Hurlburt Fld so I could throw pencils at you from my office here...:madsmile:

Comment

On the other hand, in college you are reading lectures and studying 8hrs+ a day. Sitting in the library hopelessly trying to learn isomers of organic molecules, understand heterogeneous chemical equilibrium, understand combination the of Darwinian and Mendelian genetics patterns, writing bogus, repetitive labs that take 6hrs+ to finish, read about norse literature-laxdaela saga and write a 8 page term paper on the comparison of Beowulf to modern-day heroes.

Thats my life on weekdays. Many hours spent sitting in class, sleeping, eating, studying in the library. Hell this week I've had 2 tests, 1 5-hour chemistry lab, beowulf paper rough draft due in 2 hours. I've hardly spent any time outside and im starting to miss sunlight.

Man id love to step into someone's elses shoes for a day!

(please excuse my poor grammar)

Comment

Dirt,

I have numerous stories from the Army about the same story you have just told. The ROK can be a trap for many who are about to leave service, even if they reenlist. I wish they would not send anyone there who is within 2 years of seperating. I feel for you man. I am sure the senior NCo's are cutting you some slack due to A. You know what you are doing and B. That they understand how the Military has screwed with you. Notice how a one year tour can turn into a 18 month tour quickly. I believe that the Army has made it a 18 month tour already.

That sucks man. Have a few Miller Lite's tonight and try not to let it effect your career. You made the right choice by serving our great country and sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle. If I did not get married I would be in the same boat as you. Keep on keeping on! Strive to make your time and then leave quietly...... Chin up dude..it's better than being in the Sandbox.

B
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

damn man, a ****ty couple of days.

Comment

I feel your pain brother. I grew up as a Navy brat and the navy does it too. My parents, who both retired as commanders (O-5), got shafted more than once. Hell, during the first gulf war, my mom was on Gen. Schwarzkopf's staff at CENTCOM and my dad was working in a STO at SOCOM at MacDill AFB in Tampa. What this meant was that my mom got deployed to Saudi for 6 months and my dad was working 24-on/12-off shifts at SOCOM. I was 9 and my brother was 6. Kinda tough for us to fend for ourselves at that point, and my dad, who was a CDR at that point made that quite clear to his higher ups, who told him very bluntly "we dont care if you have kids, they can take care of themselves."

But look at it this way man, if you came back in the beginning of march, there wouldnt be many hot girls at Howl for us to target cause it's too early for spring break then. But mid june is summer vacation time. All the hotties go to the beach, so it's prime pickins at the bar!

And B is right, at least they didnt say "well, we're sending you home for a week then you're off to Iraq".

Comment

Damn Dirt that sucks big time. I've been seriously toying with joining up in a nearby University's Air Force ROTC, and one of the only things holding me back is that I'm worried about stuff like this happening to me and screwing with my career. But as everyone else said, at least you are safe in Korea and not over in Iraq. And don't worry, if you do decide to go to school after your stay in the Air Force it'll be free!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

dirtboy got banned!

Comment

I remember a story my father told me when he went to Vietnam.
                  He was both Ranger and Armor. He was sent to originally be Armor.
                  I believe a paraphrased quote was "why walk or parachute and then walk when I can ride everywhere?" anyway..
                  He gets there, the guy sees he is also ranger trained. Says sit there and I'm going to change your orders to Ranger. He sits down and is upset. Hears outside "everyone for the Big Red 1 on the truck!" He looks over at the desk, looks out... walks out the door, jumps in the shotgun seat and drives off with the others. I think he was a Captain at this point...

He also used to tell about how he would get on the phone and call for supplies or whatever saying he was "captain McCann" without teling what branch... they finally caught on and realized he was army, not navy.
                  "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                  Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                  " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

So no Vegas! Man that sucks, was thinking we could all crash out at your pad after hitting the strip.

Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

No, hes still going to Vegas. Just not until June.

Comment

Wow Dirtboy, that really sucks, you sounded so excited to be leaving soon.
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                          2) It snowed 2" Thursday and we were in a mad scramble to get the Airfield plowed and cleared. The day before, I called weather and asked for a forecast. They said "No chance of snow and clear skies". I went home and went to bed with the notion that everything will be fine. 3am comes around...I get a call saying that it is snowing and I need to get on the Airfield and start brooming it.

5. Don't go to Korea...you will NEVER get out!
                          1) Tch. Nonners.

2) I'll probably see you there in April, after this damn ORI.

3) Nellis is overrated.

Comment

Man, that's a scene you'd see in a movie. You'll be out soon enough, just don't get into any more trouble!
                            USAR

Comment

You Airforce people. At least you sleep in a building. :)
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X