Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ioncross:Total War (A Freelancer Modification)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ioncross:Total War (A Freelancer Modification)

If you've ever passed through the Natural Selection forums or played with us you know who i am, to everyone else hello and please keep reading. The purpose of this thread is to introduce to those of you who have not played and who have stopped playing -Freelancer- (a game by Digital Anvil/Microsoft) an excellent MOD that completely changes -Freelancer- into a game that only barely holds onto what the old version used to be. This MOD is -Ioncross: Total War-. Though this MOD is strictly an open BETA now, I figured after my mentioning the game among the people on the Natural Selection server sparked much interest, that I should extend the information to the rest of the Tactical Gamer community. This is an excellent MOD that I hope will catch any ex-Freelancer- players attention and maybe even find some new ones. The following information comes directly from their website www.ioncross.com .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

IONCROSS Total War is a new multiplayer game created by modification of Microsoft's Freelancer game universe. You must have a legal copy of Microsoft Freelancer to play this game. It is not designed for single player use.

The game has taken nearly a year to complete and relies not only on sophisticated modification of the Freelancer universe, but on proprietary server programs that monitor game parameters, introduce dynamic change and enforce compliance with the game rules.

IONCROSS Total War (ICTW) is a battle for dominance between the forces of Liberty and Rheinland and you must choose to join either of these major houses or one of the two pirate clans that prey on them. The IONCROSS Web site provides constantly updated statistics on the progress of the war. House scores, player performance data, rank ladder and player information are updated automatically.

If you wish to participate in ICTW you are welcome. However, before you make a decision to join, please read the information below to prevent any misconceptions.

To survive in ICTW you need good flying skills, good aim and the ability to accept occasionally losing shields and sometimes pieces of equipment. Most importantly, you will need to work well in a team. Player vs. Player combat is possible in Total War, but will usually be avoided due to the consequences - damage or possible death.

You only have ONE character and dying is something to be avoided at all cost. Lose your life and you lose your ship - your cash and points will also be severely depleted. Die a few times and you cannot continue. You will need to delete your character and restart.

For a cautious player with average flying skills and the ability to learn, survival at the lower levels of the game is not hard, but it is unforgiving. We suggest you read this manual and scan the forums for tips to enhance your survival.

Their are only 4 systems in IONCROSS Total war and there are no trade lanes. Cruise speed is faster than normal Freelancer, but ambushes are frequent, thrusters use fuel and everything uses cargo space. You will always need to be balancing the space taken up with your protection, against the free space needed to pick up valuable dropped objects.

Cheating is unfortunately common on FL servers. Cheating on this server will be automatically detected and penalties will be applied - which include removal from game and/or banning.

As you will find, most of the common causes of player disputes in multiplayer Freelancer have been removed in this game. Everyone involved in the development of this mod has donated hundreds of hours of their time and they are interested in PLAYING the game not being involved in endless forum disputes. If you play honestly, are polite to other players and do not annoy the Admin players then you can do what you like, otherwise you will be banned from the server.

You are responsible for your behaviour on this server. To play on this server you must agree to your IP address and MAC address being recorded.

To play IONCROSS Total War you need

A freshly installed Freelancer
    The IONCROSS Loader program
    For those of you used to playing FL mods, it is imperative that you keep a separate FL folder for this game. You cannot use FLMM to load this game. You should not load any FL mods into this version of FL. You must always start this game from the IONCROSS Total War icon on your desktop.

If you have played a lot of FL mods then try and forget what you have learned.

In IONCROSS Total War you have a number of priorities:

survival
    upgrading your ship, weapons and equipment
    accumulating money (a millionaire is a RICH player in ICTW)
    accumulating Economy, War and Neutral points and
    increasing your performance rating/increasing House score
    working with a team
    Now before we get into the detail, some quick pointers for those players who are beginning to fidget and will want to ignore everything and simply get in there and die.

Using the F1 key in space is regarded as cheating. You will be kicked and logged
    You are in New York. The real game needs a $300K bribe.
    Be careful who you annoy. Reputation is everything - you need it to buy things
    Take missions, kill ships, pick up drops
    Look at the patrol path maps of the systems for destinations.
    Check your bats and bots before you exit a station
    Be cautious
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this sparked your interest and I look foward to flying with you sometime in the future...or laughing as I turn your ship into a molten fireball.

Other notes:
    Server Player Max: 50
    there are NO other servers
    there may be a reset in the following weeks since this is still in Beta testing and wipes are needed to test new things...but once its done with BETA this will probably cease.
    The four systems are "N00b York" (New Player Testing Ground) "Texas (Liberty Homeland)" "Bering (Warzone)" and "Hamburg (Rheinland Homeland)"
    The four factions are house "Liberty" house "Rheinland" pirate "Liberty Rouges" pirate "Red Hessians"
    AI is EXTREMELY enhanced, anyone who has played the original will see the difference.
    Estimated time till the end of the BETA is 3 weeks

Try it. Play it. Remember its a BETA. Have fun.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Ioncross:Total War (A Freelancer Modification)

what group did you say you wer ein last night, zephyr? I just wanna know if im looking forewards to the molten fireball thing...

Comment

Im in the Liberty Rouges...if you want me to kill you join Liberty or Red Hessians :). If you want to be my friend you can join Rheinland.
      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

We are no clan.

Comment

wow that looks totally awexome

Comment

thanks I love FL hope we can get a server up here again.
          "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Unlikely considering this mod is restricted to a single server...however you could always get the old TG server to run Starfyre Studios's mod The Next Generation 2.0 (www.starfyrestudios.com) though I recommend you play Total War first and get addicted for some time.

We are no clan.

Comment

Np started TG Quarath on ioncross server last night. We used to have a pretty decent FL following and I wouldn't mind getting some more in their running TG tags and using our teamspeak. I don't like ventrillo much so far. We all need to join the same group to we can ally to gether. I have not gotton out of NY yet but not sure which one to bribe yet. What factions are you and any other TG folks playing on there?
              "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

I tried to install this but got an error when I tried to join the server. I'll try today to fix it.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarath
                  Np started TG Quarath on ioncross server last night. We used to have a pretty decent FL following and I wouldn't mind getting some more in their running TG tags and using our teamspeak. I don't like ventrillo much so far. We all need to join the same group to we can ally to gether. I have not gotton out of NY yet but not sure which one to bribe yet. What factions are you and any other TG folks playing on there?
                  Actually Quarath I think it would be wise to stick with Ventrillo because thats where everyone always will go for voice communication. Oh and believe me the minute you get into the game you wont be relying just on TG people anymore, anyone who has made it into the real game on your team (i.e. past N00b York) is a talented pilot who deserves your assistance and will gladly help you if you're in danger. I dont think the admins will MIND us having a TG tag, but we in no way can exclude other players whatsoever. This is a community game, not like Vanilla Freelancer. I am currently a Liberty Rouge on the server, I dont know about the other people just yet. My ally is Rheinland and my enemies are the Hessians and the Liberty govt.

@Wyz: This can happen sometimes, what you need to do is do a COMPLETE UNinstall of Freelancer, check the My Documents folder for My Games and delete any Freelancer things there. Then go into Program Files > Microsoft Games and make sure there are no remaining Freelancer things (even a folder is criminal) and then re-install. DO NOT INSTALL THE 1.1 PATCH. Get the VB 6.0 runtimes from the same page you got the downloader and run them just in case (worked for me once). Uninstall the MOD loader. Go into Vanilla Freelancer once, dont connect to any servers but set up your account ID in the Multiplayer window. Then quit and reinstall the MOD loader, let it run its course and you should be fine. lol thats like every error I could think of...tell me if it doesnt work.

We are no clan.

Comment

The problem was that I didn't run vanilla FL once (to load the EULA) after I installed vanilla FL and before installing ICTW.

From http://www.ioncross.com/freelancer/s...stallation.htm :
                    Once you have a fresh version of Freelancer installed and you have entered the game once to ensure the EULA has been executed, install and run the ICTW Loader
                    I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and now I'm good to go. I can't figure out how to get to their server yet.

I will have to get interested in the game before I leave our TS server for their Ventrilo server. They're using an old version of Ventrilo, which I don't care to install unless I think the game is worth it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

From the same page :

The easiest way to select the IONCROSS Total War server is to Select MULTIPLAYER then LAN where it will be displayed as the only available server.

Comment

Ok, I'm in their server, in noooooob space. I'm also in our TS server. Someone join me.

Comment

Name's

TG_Wyzcrak

btw.

Comment

Ok, I played this once, and I enjoyed flying around. I could use your help, tho, Z.. I felt ... lost.

It didn't help that I took an unexpected phone call and flew in a straight line for 45 minutes moving away from the space station. It took me forever to get back. lol

Comment

I was on a good track in Noob York and in med fighter then did something stupid and decided to go check out and asteriod field. I ran into some xenos and thought hmmm I'll bag me a few neural nets. next thing I new I was in the middle of a swarm of probably 15-30 xeno and LSF fighters and could not get to cruise speed without being brought down with a missle. I finally thrustered to frieburg and died trying to dock when I could not move my ship to avoid hits. I tried to get help but nobody on the server seemed to care. So now I'm stuck back with a bobcat crappy weapons and no money on Rochester

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X