X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Xbox 360 With Built-In Blu-ray Drive Specs

Hmmm...I don't know what to say heh.

http://news.filefront.com/rumor-xbox...y-drive-specs/

We all knew that Microsoft was planning to release a Blu-ray drive that can be plugged into the Xbox 360 much like the current HD-DVD drive. A source at Microsoft mentioned to me that Microsoft will be releasing the Ultimate Xbox 360 with a built-in Blu-ray drive sometime this year. If my source is correct, this could certainly be the ultimate home entertainment system. He didnít mention prices to me, but I am sure this thing is going to cost a lot. So definitely keep your fingers crossed. We all know how top-secret gaming projects sometimes never become a reality, but I have a good feeling that we will see something very similar to the specs I have posted below this year.

Hereís the specs on the system:

* Xbox 360 With Built-In Blu-ray

* 2 Quad Processors

* 2GB RAM

* HDMI

* 7.1 Surround Support

* 1080P DVD Upscaling

* IPTV Service Capable

* Bluetooth

* Cable Card Option (think of this as your 360 becoming a HD-DVR)

* 500GB HDD (size necessary for IPTV use)

* Home Server Integration and Home Automation Options

* PhysX Tech card by Ageia

* Near Silent Fan Operation

Re: Rumor: Xbox 360 With Built-In Blu-ray Drive Specs

Oooh, I'd heard talk of this elsewhere. It would make sense, given that Blu-Ray is now THE next high-definition format. Exciting? Sure- but the more sensible option would be for an external Blu-Ray drive, though.
    ---------------
    Doc-in-training

Comment

I'm guessing it was a good and bad step for MS to release the HD-dvd player as a attachments, so when the format failed, the owners would not be to screwed by it. Although, they still are out the money heh.

Comment

This sounds fake. Why would they change the CPU architecture of the 360?

Comment

Think it is fake too. That site is not going to get a scoop. All the other sites are saying something like at this link: Microsoft holding off on HD DVD reaction, thinks "games" sell consoles

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Haha, I love the headline, Bamboo- the placement of the quotation marks makes it sound like cynical sarcasm. :P
            ---------------
            Doc-in-training

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                Hmmm...I don't know what to say heh.

http://news.filefront.com/rumor-xbox...y-drive-specs/
                You forgot the improved RROD rate of 20% instead of 30% ;)
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

2 Quads?

Complete overkill.
                  Skud

Comment

If this is true im gettin that Fo Sho. But what will the price look like?
                    |TG| Plude220

Comment

Maybe they will do a bluray addon down the line but the specs in the original post are clearly fake. The core components of consoles can not change for compatibility reasons so the two quad cores, 2gb of ram and PhysX Tech card are major red flags.
                      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Not to mention that if those were the actual specs, the thing would cost you 3000 bucks. Anyone know anyone who is willing to drop 3k on a video game console? Didnt think so.

Comment

I had seen on the G4TV channel today that HD-DVD is definitely out and Blu-Ray was the winner of the format wars and that with that in mind Microsoft had already made an official announcement that the Xbox360 would have the Blu-Ray player add-on in about September, maybe sooner. No other comments were made on whether or not the hardware to the original Xbox360 is going to be changed. I seriously doubt it, then it would not be called an Xbox360, it might as well be Microsoft's newest game console and it would most likely have a completely different name.

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                            The core components of consoles can not change for compatibility reasons so the two quad cores, 2gb of ram and PhysX Tech card are major red flags.
                            It would seem that you're forgetting that the Xbox is a PC. Changing hardware doesn't matter as the OS handles everything.

With your logic, old PC games wouldn't be able to run on new PCs.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It doesn't have to do with old games...it has to do with new games. X game that would utilize and require those two quad cores would not run on the previous standard hardware for xbox. Thats a big no no in the console world. The ram expansion pack in the n64 is one of the few instances where they actually did something like that and the public wasn't too thrilled about it. You had to have that expansion pack to play some popular games...while it was only a $30 accessory it still fractured the market. They may be built like pcs but development and expectations are all focused around one standard hardware setup.
                              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X