Toshiba Kills HD-DVD, Go get your PS3 NOW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba Kills HD-DVD, Go get your PS3 NOW

Well, the inevitable happened (and I'm glad it did). Toshiba announced this morning, in Japan, that they will no longer support their beleaguered HD-DVD format.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

What does that mean? For me, it means I can bug my wife into letting me get a PS3 :D You know, as an upgraded DVD player...
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Toshiba Kills HD-DVD, Go get your PS3 NOW

WOW, I guess Sony and Blu-Ray are the winners of this battle after all.....

Comment

I am going to buy a HD-DVD player. I bet in a matter of weeks I will be able to buy one that also upconverts normal DVD to 1080p for less than 75 dollars. Then I can go and try to find all the HD-DVD disks at pawn shops and the like for about 2-5 dollars.

Sweet!!!!
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

At least this format war was shorter than the BETA vs VHS one.

Comment

This format war was ridiculous. No HD-DVD games came out, or were ever GOING to come out. Why the PS3 turds screamed so much about it is beyond me.

Comment

Yea, I'll be using the same reasoning with the wife now!

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
              Yea, I'll be using the same reasoning with the wife now!
              Do it!

My girl actually BOUGHT me a PS3 a little while ago.

Granted, the fact that she's a big Disney fan (and Disney's been Blu-Ray for a while) could have had sommit to do with it :P
              ---------------
              Doc-in-training

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor Goku View Post
                Do it!

My girl actually BOUGHT me a PS3 a little while ago.

Granted, the fact that she's a big Disney fan (and Disney's been Blu-Ray for a while) could have had sommit to do with it :P
                Now THAT'S a good gf! Mine bought me Guitar Hero 3 for my Wii last Christmas and WoW: The Burning Crusade for my Birthday. Hope she gets me a PS3 next! Now that the format war is over, I actually want a PS3. It's nice that as Blu-Ray changes come in the future, the PS3 is firmware upgradeable. My brother has one and got it to work with his Logitech Harmony Remote. With the remote, it's actually a really nice movie player! Since Blu-Ray players are still so friggin expensive, the PS3's actually not a bad deal since their last price drop.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I dont see Blu-Ray lasting to long either or at least not as long as DVD's lasted. With the push to everything digital (ex. Ipod) I could see Blu-Ray reach it's maturity stage pretty fast.

I would still love to buy one but I need a new tv first, my HDtv is way to old. I have an old 36" Tube HDtv. Still looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    I am going to buy a HD-DVD player. I bet in a matter of weeks I will be able to buy one that also upconverts normal DVD to 1080p for less than 75 dollars. Then I can go and try to find all the HD-DVD disks at pawn shops and the like for about 2-5 dollars.

Sweet!!!!
                    Try converting those HD-DVD's to Blu-Ray and let us know how it works.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

If you just want to keep the file on the computer as a backup, you can stop here. Even if no one is making physical HD DVD players, there'll always be software to play the files themselves.
                      This is a pretty good point. If you have them ripped someplace should always be able to watch them.
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post

Sweet!!!!
                        Ya I plan on running out and picking up as many HD-DVDs as I can. I think it's the best way to get your money out of it.

American Gangster is getting a DVD purchase from me. I don't want to miss out on the 3 disc set.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I just found a HD-DVD player for $25! The Toshiba A30. Buying it tomorrow.

Comment

I'll get a PS3 in 3-5 years when a) I have an HDTV b) there are decent games and c) its cheap.

But I still don't see Blu-Ray taking off the way DVD did. DVD will be around for a long while still. Most people don't care or know about HD resolutions.

Comment

I just saw an ad yesterday for like Circuit City or Wal-mart that has an HD-DVD player and 7 movies for free, all for $99.

EDIT:
                              found the article about it:
                              http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/s...uit-city-come/

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X